Menu

Looking for a half credit literature course for 12th grade for dd

So far my daughter has done Sonlight Lit 230 in 9th grade, which was mostly reading and discussion questions with little writing, MFW 10th grade world literature with a private tutor who oversaw all the discussions and writing assignments, and MFW 11th grade American literature with mostly reading and discussion questions with some writing assignments. I've not assigned all the writing assignments because she's doing a writing course with Write at Home. She'll be doing a course with Write at Home again next year, but I'd like her to have a half credit literature course as well. So far I'm thinking she could either do Shakespeare using the Great Courses DVDs and read the plays that are covered by the lectures, which wouldn't include a lot of writing, or one of the Lightning Lit courses that has books she hasn't yet read (am I correct in remembering that these courses are all intended to be half-year courses?). I'm just wondering if there are any other good options for a half-credit literature course.

Maybe Excellence in Literature by Janice Campbell? Dd is using that this year in 12th grade and she has thoroughly enjoyed it. Each guide contains a number of titles (you choose the ones you want to cover), and the study leads you through the literature along with a contextual study of the era, author, etc. Dd spends about one month on each title.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shelly in VA said:

Maybe Excellence in Literature by Janice Campbell? Dd is using that this year in 12th grade and she has thoroughly enjoyed it. Each guide contains a number of titles (you choose the ones you want to cover), and the study leads you through the literature along with a contextual study of the era, author, etc. Dd spends about one month on each title.

This looks fantastic! Thank you!  I'd never heard of that curriculum before. I may just buy the complete curriculum and use it for dd next year and ds who still has 4 years of high school to look forward to. I love that you can pick and choose the books that you want to do, and it's a very reasonable price for the full curriculum. Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Lukeion Project has some semester long classes.  My kids have enjoyed Muse Unloosed (Greek Lit), Muse Reloosed (Roman Lit), Classical Bard (Shakespeare with classical settings), and Advanced Research Writing (now called College Research Writing and taught by a different teacher).

Next year my youngest is doing the research writing class and a semester of lit with me.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Lukeion Project has some semester long classes.  My kids have enjoyed Muse Unloosed (Greek Lit), Muse Reloosed (Roman Lit), Classical Bard (Shakespeare with classical settings), and Advanced Research Writing (now called College Research Writing and taught by a different teacher).

Next year my youngest is doing the research writing class and a semester of lit with me.

It looks really good, but dd has had some bad experiences with live online courses, so I don't think it will work for us. Thanks, though!

Roy Speed, Angelina Stanford, and Center for Lit all have discussion only Lit classes. 

Roy Speed's are Shakespeare intensives, 6-10 weeks long.

Angelina does Great Books, deep not broad and just Lit, no history books, political essays etc.

Center for Lit classes meet once a month.

• Like 1