Menu

Novare Physical Science

Calli

Does anyone have experience using this program?   I see it is recommended for 6th graders to 8th graders.  Can a 6th and 9th grader use it?  There are so many science options we are trying to narrow it down and this one we are unfamiliar with.  Thoughts?

We have not used Physical Science, but my dd13 is taking Introductory Physics this year and absolutely loving it. She really gets a lot out of the textbook and thinks it explains concepts very well.

Novare is a physics-first curriculum, so PS is (in my understanding) intended for middle school, and the high school sequence starts with IP in 9th. Students need to in algebra 1 concurrently as a minimum for IP, so it's probably too advanced for a 6th grader unless they are well ahead in math. But PS might not be rigorous enough for a high school credit. 

I've found Novare to be very responsive, so I'm sure they will offer advice on this if you ask. They were very helpful when I was on the fence about IP last year. They also have a Facebook group: Novare Science & Math - Crushing the Cram Pass Forget Cycle.

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

MP currently has Physical Science listed for 9th grade in their cores. I was wondering about Novare, too. Is the religious slant over the top? 

There has been discussion recently on the MP boards about the 9th grade placement of PS. There are several homeschoolers who agree that PS is firmly a middle school course, not high school.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 3/6/2019 at 7:46 PM, PeachyDoodle said:

We have not used Physical Science, but my dd13 is taking Introductory Physics this year and absolutely loving it. She really gets a lot out of the textbook and thinks it explains concepts very well.

Novare is a physics-first curriculum, so PS is (in my understanding) intended for middle school, and the high school sequence starts with IP in 9th. Students need to in algebra 1 concurrently as a minimum for IP, so it's probably too advanced for a 6th grader unless they are well ahead in math. But PS might not be rigorous enough for a high school credit. 

I've found Novare to be very responsive, so I'm sure they will offer advice on this if you ask. They were very helpful when I was on the fence about IP last year. They also have a Facebook group: Novare Science & Math - Crushing the Cram Pass Forget Cycle.

Did your DD do Physical Science from another program or any other type of structured science before Introductory Physics?  If no, how manageable was IP for her?  I have a 12 yr. old who is about to begin Algebra 1 and I'm trying to decide if I should also have him do Introductory Physics, but he has not done Physical Science or any other science program as structured as Novare.

2 hours ago, Gale said:

Did your DD do Physical Science from another program or any other type of structured science before Introductory Physics?  If no, how manageable was IP for her?  I have a 12 yr. old who is about to begin Algebra 1 and I'm trying to decide if I should also have him do Introductory Physics, but he has not done Physical Science or any other science program as structured as Novare.

One of mine is finishing up their accelerated physics book for 9th graders. He hadn't had any formal science that requires assignments, applied math, etc before this one. I thought it was a good introduction to high school level science. It was well written and I think having it before chemistry will make the math of chemistry easier (having practiced some concepts already).