Menu

Online Latin Programs for 8th grade

Hi, my son will be finishing his 1st year of Middle School Latin using Jenny's 1st year Latin.  I would like him to keep working on his progress over the summer.  Are there any good online programs I can purchase?  I'd like to spend about 30 min a day on the course.  Any help is appreciated. 

Welcome!

Are you looking for something for him to do on his own, at his own pace as review? We've never done any Latin online, so I don't have any personal recommendations (sorry.) You could look at a non-online program like Minimus, if it would hold his interest. It approaches Latin from a whole language point of view. He could spend some time making flashcards for Ankiapp, that would be good review and probably helpful going forward.  I also remember Ellen J. McHenry having some free games on her website. You could get Cast in the Hat, the Giving Tree, or Winnie the Pooh in Latin and have him work on reading and translating them.

If you want him to continue to progress over the summer perhaps he could keep doing new lessons once or twice a week.

Thanks.  I actually do have Cat in the Hat and suggested that he work on that over the summer!  I was looking for something a little more formal to keep him on track.  I know its more about my parenting style than anything else, but I like to have outside structure to keep up accountability.  Otherwise, I tend to let the kids skip "here and there" and it turns out we do far less than I imagined we would. But at least, I can admit that!