Menu

Advice Re: Stem kid science and math

I have an upcoming 8th grader who really wants to take physics next year. She's finishing AoPs Algebra this year so I felt she was ready and signed her up for Clover Creek physics next year. She'll be taking geometry for math. Should I count the physics class as high school for her? I was thinking of maybe doing AP physics 9th or 10th grade? Any suggestions on what path to take for science and math after the 8th grade year? Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Momto4inSoCal said:

I have an upcoming 8th grader who really wants to take physics next year. She's finishing AoPs Algebra this year so I felt she was ready and signed her up for Clover Creek physics next year. She'll be taking geometry for math. Should I count the physics class as high school for her? I was thinking of maybe doing AP physics 9th or 10th grade? Any suggestions on what path to take for science and math after the 8th grade year? Thanks! 

If she is finishing AoPS alg as a 7th grader, I would suggest skipping AP physics 1 and 2 and wait until she is ready and jump into physics again with AP C level/cal.  As to whether or not to count Clover Creek physics as high school physics, if she has it labeled as high school, then there is no reason not to if you want.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

If she is finishing AoPS alg as a 7th grader, I would suggest skipping AP physics 1 and 2 and wait until she is ready and jump into physics again with AP C level/cal.  As to whether or not to count Clover Creek physics as high school physics, if she has it labeled as high school, then there is no reason not to if you want.

I didn't realize I could skip Ap physics 1 and 2 and go straight to AP c. Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. 

15 hours ago, Momto4inSoCal said:

It depends on your state and if you're applying to a college in that state, or what college.  Here in CA, only foreign language and math, in 8th grade, can be counted for high school.  Science cannot.