Menu

What's with the ads?

Just a vent for the sake of sanity.

That feeling when¬†they look at something that you've covered for¬†eons, and act like they've never seen it before?!?! "Addition? What? We've done this?¬†"¬†ūü§Į

That was ds with math today with a simply review question with regrouping. Mind you this kid has been adding multi digit numbers for two years now. I'm like, are you kidding me?!?! Then he proceeds to multiply to get the answer and I'm thinking oh my word you're telling me you can't regroup into tens and ones to add and carry,  but you just regrouped to multiple 4x3 in your head and telling me I never taught this? "You do this all the time!", I silently screamed in my head!   I am blaming the allergy meds I gave him this morning, but he is definitely not firing on all cylinders today. I'm praying for lots of patience while cooking lunch! All I can think is I hope my Mother doesn't drop by today while we're doing school. 

Please tell me your kids do this sometimes.

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

It's not just your kid. 

• Thanks 1

Funny related story.¬† There was a day back when I was in high school where we were filling out forms for yearbook pictures.¬† And my best friend turned and looked at me with this completely blank look on her face and in all genuine honesty asked me "What's my name again?"¬†ūü§£ I just kind of blinked at her for a second, I was so taken aback by the question, that I honestly didn't even have an answer.¬†¬†

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

What's worse: your kids have long-since graduated, and you are reminiscing to them¬†about some cool thing you all enjoyed studying together while homeschooling high school and get the blank stare along with: "I have NO idea what you're talking about. We never studied that." But then, they will promptly seg into great detail about how in homeschool 1st grade¬†they used to build fighter planes with the math multi-link cubes and recall how they used different colors for different types of planes...¬†ūüė©

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Well I would say it's February, but it's March. Feed him, take a walk, take a nap. Yeah, it happens. Fwiw the kid who did that the most with me was significantly ADHD-inattentive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Well I would say it's February, but it's March. Feed him, take a walk, take a nap. Yeah, it happens. Fwiw the kid who did that the most with me was significantly ADHD-inattentive. 

He doesn't typically, but wow today I swear he has ADD. If he took a nap though he'd be up all night- he's my night owl anyway. Dd6 has been super whiney and teary eyed "I don't know" over everything. 

I did phonics with them completely in a kinestethic way today. We've checked off Bible, Handwriting, Phonics and Math and I think I'm about to call it a day and just read them some Bad Kitty and hope brain function is back to normal tomorrow. 

ETA- It's 38 degrees and raining so outside is a no go again. ūüė쬆

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Sad 1

I have had this disappointing experience also.¬† ūüėõ

I wanted to add that my eldest is much better at multiplication than addition.  It seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it?  To figure 7x8 instantly but have to count on your fingers to add 7+8?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Allergy meds can absolutely slow you down.

My son does best on claritin, I think, and we use flonase.  This year our allergist will try oral desensitization a few weeks before the season begins.

• Like 2

Nope. My kids remember everything I have ever taught them. They definitely don't ever write things like "I'm so exited" or act completely certain that 2x4 is 6. They never write about how Germany attacked Pearl Harbor, one day after reading the relevant section in SOTW and three minutes after we orally review the info in that section. 

...or maybe they do. ūüėČ

• Haha 9

Well. It got worse. I thought we had turned it around. But it just became this whole day of ugh. Dd6 erupted in tears at the slightest provocation. Instructor cancels martial arts class 10 minutes before we were set to leave.¬†¬†Ds7 was just being, well a boy. Final straw? He showed a¬†magic trick to dd6 where he pretended he¬†pulled his eye out. It was not in the slightest bit good or convincing. He was just being funny.¬†Dd6? Hysterical tears. I said ‚Äúdid you really thing he pulled his eye out?‚ÄĚ She said ‚Äúno- it just was so disgustin‚Äô, it was horrible.‚ÄĚ And would not stop crying no matter what I said or how many hugs she got. At this point she was crying to cry.¬†¬†Finally I sent her to her room until her Dad got home and I sent myself to my room before I lost it, laid on the bed and blasted Beethoven to drown out the sound of her crying.

Dh walks in from work to find this scene- dd crying in her room, me¬†crying in ours, Beethoven blaring, complete with 5 loads of unfolded¬†laundry next to me-¬†and¬†says ‚ÄúIs this¬†what defeat looks like?‚ÄĚ ūüėā

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 7
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 2

All the time....

or DS will add the first column then subtract the next column and get upset if I try to point out the mistake ūüôā

• Like 2

Awww sorry you had a tough day and glad it ended well!

One time, Dd did the blank stare at the end of math, so I slowly and painstakingly took her through a simpler problem to get her back on track. Dh came in at this point and of course it looks like she has never seen numbers in her life...

• Haha 1

Oh, my, goodness.  Yes.  Yesterday we had a screaming fit going on because ds was positive he didn't know how to do what I was asking. 
The same thing I've been asking him to do for 5 WEEKS.  Every day.  It's not hard.  And he's done it, cheerfully and happily for 5 WEEKS.  I'm blaming the weather.  We're ready for spring.

• Like 2

Oh my, yes. Lack of sleep, timed situations, bad mood and everything goes out the window.

Doesn’t stop as kids get older, either! I wrote

2^a*2^b = 2^(ab)

on the IMO, to our leader’s absolute horror (those are exponents.) Needless to say, I had known how to multiply exponents for 5 years at least...

Edited by square_25
  • Haha 1

DD, who has been multiplying in columns for at least a year, just last week multiplied 35x17 by multiplying 5x7 and 3x1 and trying to justify that 335 was the right answer. Much weeping and gnashing of teeth ensued. I think a blank stare might have been preferable ...

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Momto5inIN said:

DD, who has been multiplying in columns for at least a year, just last week multiplied 35x17 by multiplying 5x7 and 3x1 and trying to justify that 335 was the right answer. Much weeping and gnashing of teeth ensued. I think a blank stare might have been preferable ...

What was her justification? ūüėĄ

Oh yes, far too frequently of late.

My oldest was calculating surface area of a cylinder (formula here just in case :) ). You have to add the areas of the top and bottom circles as well as the surface area of the "wall". So instead of adding these individual¬†numbers, which were already in square meters, she multiplied them. It was actually funny because if you multiply the two, you get meters to the fourth power, something like the fourth dimension.¬†ūüėĄ

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh, you wouldn't believe the things I didn't teach my kids! But a funny story from the opposite perspective...

DS came home from college one day and thanked me for teaching him vocabulary. "I'm sure I fought you every day in that subject, and I'm sorry, but now I'm really glad that you did. Thanks, Mom!" Ahem. Well, there certainly were classes where we struggled and he fought me, but we actually never used a vocabulary curriculum or studied vocabulary as a subject. He was flabbergasted! I told him how we worked on vocabulary over the years informally through reading, read-alouds, and conversation, but nope, never used a workbook, curriculum, or other direct means (I had plans, but other subjects overwhelmed!) And yet, he was getting great feedback about his vocabulary at school. Go figure! There's hope!

DD on the other hand now thinks it's funny to pretend she's never heard of really famous people/events in history, just to see my reaction! 

Glad your day ended with something more peaceful!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, square_25 said:

What was her justification? ūüėĄ

Mostly along the lines of how could she possibly be wrong because duh mom she knows how to multiply and clearly she was multiying ones and tens ... sigh

It was better after we took a break and came back to it and then she laughed about her mistake and fixed it right away ūüôā

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2019 at 5:48 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

PS. I am better now and so are they. He took them roller blading in the freezing cold and I folded the laundry in quiet and now there is peace throughout the land.....

You have such a nice DH, what a good dad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moonflower said:

You have such a nice DH, what a good dad.

He is. He knew his defeat comment would crack me up too, as it did. It's hard to feel sorry for yourself when you're laughing. ūüôā

• Like 1

Oh my word, DS did this tonight; it was so embarrassing.  His piano teacher asked him about something that he's been learning about from her for 4 STINKIN' YEARS and he gave her a blank stare and then said "I've never learned about that." SMDH.  

• Like 1

I‚Äôm about to go and leave my parents here with my kids for the rest of the week. My Mom asked, ‚ÄúDo you need me to work with them on anything?‚ÄĚ And I said ‚ÄúNope. They‚Äôre on spring break!‚ÄĚ LOL. Giving those little brains a few days off to come back to planet earth. ūüôā¬†

• Like 2

Good for you! I'm glad your DH swooped in for the win.

We've definitely had those days before.

I tell the story about how after doing "calendar" activities for years directly with her & her watching her older sister do it for a couple years before her, my dreamy DD#2 asked what the little boxes on the calendar mean. . . :ohmy:  :blink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I asked Dd what a thesaurus was and the response was, "A dinosaur?" Homeschool for the fail! ūüėȬ†

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Today I asked Dd what a thesaurus was and the response was, "A dinosaur?" Homeschool for the fail! ūüėȬ†

That's kind of an awesome one, actually :D. The fierce Thesaurus Rex! 

• Like 2

Oh, I have a new one from yesterday. I asked DD#2 to translate a sentence out loud for me from her Latin worksheet. Note that she has been doing Latin for nearly two years, so this is not a brand new thing.

She stared at it for a moment and then turned back to me and said, "Mommy, it's in a different language."

...yes, dear, that's the whole point of asking you to translate it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I am sooooo glad it’s not just us!!

DS spent two full days this week simply unable to comprehend ANYTHING. Parts of speech? What are those?? (Hint: we’ve spent a good chunk of the year on them). Recalled none of the vocabulary from the past 2 months of poetics. Spent an entire hour on staring blankly at a whopping 6 math problems. 

The next day? Absolutely zero issues.¬†Knocked out his sentence analysis, blew through reading, completed¬†6 full pages of math without even breaking a sweat. ūü§¶ūüŹĽ‚Äć‚ôÄÔłŹūü§∑ūüŹĽ‚Äć‚ôÄÔłŹ

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

¬†Final straw? He showed a¬†magic trick to dd6 where he pretended he¬†pulled his eye out. It was not in the slightest bit good or convincing. He was just being funny.¬†Dd6? Hysterical tears. I said ‚Äúdid you really thing he pulled his eye out?‚ÄĚ She said ‚Äúno- it just was so disgustin‚Äô, it was horrible.‚ÄĚ And would not stop crying no matter what I said or how many hugs she got. Aūüėā

First, oh man...what a day!   By the time you read this I hope everyone is in a better mood.    Been there so many times with my kids.

Your story about the magic trick reminded me of when my oldest stole my 4 year old's nose...and he was in tears and inconsolable.  It was funny at the time but wouldn't have been if I had been having a day like yours.

• Like 1

This used to happen periodically with my daughter as she was growing up.  Her brain would be GONE for a couple of days!  It took me a few of those times to realize that this always occurred right before she would grow .25-.5 " in one day.  I was questioning if I was actually teaching her anything, but then I learned not to fight it and it would go away quickly.  It is disturbing.  I can only imagine how a teacher in a large classroom must feel.  With that many kids there must always be someone who is having one of those brain dead days just to keep your confidence high as a teacher.

On 3/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, MerryAtHope said:

DD on the other hand now thinks it's funny to pretend she's never heard of really famous people/events in history, just to see my reaction! 

Glad your day ended with something more peaceful!

My ds13 loves to do this!  I can usually tell when he’s being silly, but sometimes he strings me along for a couple of minutes before I realize he’s pulling my leg. 

• Like 1

DS10 insisted he had no idea what a lower case "a" looked like and hadn't the faintest idea of how to write one, while staring at a page of printed text.¬† He's been reading since he was 3 & 1/2 and able to write since he was 4. ūüėĎ

• Haha 1

I just thought of this thread, because I asked my daughter to calculate (120*63)/120 and she's been sniffling and wailing about having no idea how to do this for almost an hour now. She's done this kind of thing probably 100 times in the last year... 

• Haha 1

She finally figured it out. She‚Äôs now prancing around, saying ‚ÄúI can‚Äôt BELIEVE that took me an hour!‚Ä̬†

You and me both, kid. You and me both.

• Like 3

I remember a day like that for me.  High school, grade 11 or 12, in an advanced level math class.  I was one of the kids that would find errors in the textbook.

Well, we had a test one day.  The teacher marked them, and before handing them back, during a time while we were working on our own or chatting, she showed me my test.  There were some questiones that had mixed fractions as a minor part of the problem (not the main thing being tested).   I just multiplied them.  So,  for example, I treated 2 1/3 as 2(1/3) and came up with 2/3 instead of 7/3.   Oops!   She shook her head, I kind of shrugged, and we both laughed at my mistake.