Menu

AP Euro @ PAH - now with Meredith Noah?

Did anyone else know about this? There has been long talk of Meredith Noah (with Noah Nation) who teaches AP Euro/World who some members have raved about... then there was some negative reviews as well I recall reading about. But anyway, I'm fascinated she's teaching at PAH. We would be very interested if anyone knows anything more!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at the PAH classes with secular eyes and reading between the lines, I've noted that a lot of the teachers have Christian education backgrounds (as in, they have only attended and taught at explicitly Christian institutions) and some have made statements that they like to express their personal viewpoints in their classes. I'm sure that many of them are great teachers and obviously they're following a syllabus from the CB that is definitely secular... Plus, that can be a good thing - being exposed to different views with a great teacher is actually invaluable. But it has made me wary of PAH as a provider for my own family. Luckily, we're not focused on AP's.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

The issue with most classes taken here with *any* providers and teachers is not at all the teacher, it’s this fact that goes unmentioned here that most the student body is fundamentally Christian*. And quite extreme at that, from where I stand. So, if a class’ interaction is mostly message boards, well the stuff posted would make one’s jaws drop (if it wasn’t already so much part of the culture but I digress). This has nothing to do with what the teacher is but what the homeschool population seems to be. It’s very much caused me to rethink last two years of high school, and I only write this here because 1. I never see it mentioned and 2. I wish someone had had a word with me around 5th grade 🙂 to be clear, this is a numbers game and just the way it is. I may, in turn, hold extreme views from their perspective, but there is no homeschool community that would reflect those so there’s no danger of message board tyranny of my particular worldview 🙂 

*whatever things this term has come to mean in the very specific US context. Not Christian the way I would think Christians would be in the world based on their texts. 

• Like 5

Interesting (and important) discussion. We jumped on some of their classes for the first time this year. I had no idea of the context of these classes or the demographics of the typical "student body." 

I think we got lucky by chance, but I love seeing more discussion about these topics so everyone can go into a situation eyes wide open. My only head scratching moment was with the summer Common App essay writing session. My son got wonderful feedback and came out with a great essay for his college apps, so we got exactly what we wanted out of it. That said, there was an interesting division of students between those who were there to prepare a Common App essay, and those who would be going to Hillsdale or other religious colleges and wanted to prepare an essay for their admissions. It gave me a "two separate worlds" feeling. It was a short session (3 weeks I think?) without a ton of student interaction other than giving feedback on essays. 

We took our first two full-year courses this year (AP Computer Science A with Lang (my 9th grader) and AP Physics C - both Mechanics and Electricity and Magnetism with Kernion (my senior)). The live sessions for both of these classes have been very focused on the subject, and neither of these subjects has led to any more of a sense of the "two worlds" of students attending. The kids are all talking coding and force diagrams, so I couldn't tell you anything about the religious makeup of the class. Absolutely loving them both, and they are getting the job done, but it hadn't really occurred to me to think about what the student pool might mean for more "discussion"-type classes like history or English APs. I'm glad you are discussing it here explicitly because that will make me more conscious in my future decision making, just in case my third kid ends up being less of a techie! 

• Like 2

Continuing in this vein, my DD is taking Art History via PAH (Ms. Kane is teacher) this year and, to my knowledge, it has been completely secular. There is some student interaction in the Google+ group, but absolutely no religious content has cropped up in the student discussions. This is pretty remarkable given the subject!

• Like 1