Menu

Websites for scheduling volunteers and/or potlucks :)

MercyA

I'm going to be scheduling volunteers for a resale event. I'm looking for a free website we can use for sign ups. I've taken a brief look at www.volunteersignup.org and signup.com. Does anyone have any experience using these, or are there others you'd recommend?

I'm also likely going to be planning some church potlucks. I *think* I might use the "Potluck" section of mealtrain.com, but haven't made a decision yet. If you know of a great site for group meal organization, I'd love to hear about that, too.

Thanks so much, my peeps! 🐣 

My kids' schools use Sign Up Genius. I haven't created an event, but signing up for a slot has been easy whenever I've had to do it. Schools use it to sign up for a parent -teacher conference, so you can set up time slots. 

My SIL has used it for a family potluck at her house, as well. She was able to designate how many spots for main dishes, desserts, and so on, and people can say specifically what they will bring (ex: they can sign up for a dessert spot and say they are bringing brownies).

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2

Sign up genius is free and easy. I used it when a friend from church had a house fire and needed meals for a month and our drama troupe used it for signing up for meals or the kids during tech week.

They send a reminder email to everybody who signs up, which is nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MercyA said:

I'm going to be scheduling volunteers for a resale event. I'm looking for a free website we can use for sign ups. I've taken a brief look at www.volunteersignup.org and signup.com. Does anyone have any experience using these, or are there others you'd recommend?

I'm also likely going to be planning some church potlucks. I *think* I might use the "Potluck" section of mealtrain.com, but haven't made a decision yet. If you know of a great site for group meal organization, I'd love to hear about that, too.

I've used Signup Genius several times. It is *NOT* intuitive or user friendly, and I usually swear and complain when I have to use it, but it does get the job done, so ther's that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ellie said:

I've used Signup Genius several times. It is *NOT* intuitive or user friendly, and I usually swear and complain when I have to use it, but it does get the job done, so ther's that.

Do you mean it's not intuitive for the organizer or for the people signing up or both? I'm willing to deal with less-than-stellar design myself, but would like it to be easy for volunteers to use.

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

Do you mean it's not intuitive for the organizer or for the people signing up or both? I'm willing to deal with less-than-stellar design myself, but would like it to be easy for volunteers to use.

It's not intuitive for the person putting it together. It seems to be ok for the people signing up.

One year, people didn't click the final "submit" button because it didn't show up on their hand-held devices without scrolling down, and they didn't all think to scroll down. So we had multiple donations of some things. o_0 The next time I added that instruction. 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MercyA said:

Also, I don't use it for potlucks, because that's what they are: pot *luck.* 🙂

5 hours ago, MercyA said:

I totally agree with this! Once you've used it a few times, you get the hang of it. It took me about 6 weeks, sending SignUpGenius out about 2 times/week, to figure everything out.

I think it's pretty easy for those signing up.

• Like 1