Menu

course description template

I followed the sample link above. I do not come close to that level of detail. I give a brief summary and what materials we used. I write things like "Oral exams, discussions, and essays used to determine grades. Worked to mastery of content." 

I don't really give written exams (math and some science courses excepted)  and don't  pretend that I create formal written graded test type assignments. My course descriptions look more like image in Sebastian's post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the Lee Binz style can be a good resource for the parent, but it's a lot to send to colleges. In general colleges are trying to answer how rigorous coursework was and if the student is prepared for college work.  They don't need to see individual quiz scores.

I would keep descriptions to a paragraph plus a brief, easily skimmed list of books used.  I try to keep my list of tropics covered to no more than 3 lines. I do include if a course is from an outside provider.  

• Thanks 1

I think I understand how to do descriptions, but got stuck on formatting issues. For some reason I used excel, and that’s not the best way to present it. 

I am also surprised to see grades reported in course descriptions. That’s something I will add.

If you don't like how Excel is working, you can copy and paste the content into a Word document, using the last paste option (with the capital A on the clip board), and then do any reformatting needed. 

While it's okay to put grades with the course descriptions, like Mirabillis did, it's not required.  Course descriptions are to describe the course, not the student's success in that course.  That's what the transcript is for.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I think I understand how to do descriptions, but got stuck on formatting issues. For some reason I used excel, and that’s not the best way to present it. 

I am also surprised to see grades reported in course descriptions. That’s something I will add.

I didn't include grades on mine, as that information was already on the transcript.  I did include corroborating outside test scores like the National Latin Exam, AMC tests, and AP scores.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I got my basic course description document from hs2coll's yahoo group files. It had a table of contents (linked to the rest of the document), headers for the different subjects (English/Math/Social Studies/Science/Fine Arts/Electives), and I went from there. I put it in the same order as my transcript inside each subject, so it went from 9th grade through 12th of English, 9th through 12th of Math, etc.

I did not include grades, but did include if it was from an online provider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2019 at 9:49 AM, Roadrunner said:

If anybody has a formatted template for course descriptions and doesn't mind sharing, please PM me. 

Mine version is a mess. 

You could use the basic outline of the one I give for Clover Valley Chemistry and modify it for other courses.  Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?  I can email you a copy in Word format instead of PDF if you want to be able to use the outline and modify it. 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dicentra said:

You could use the basic outline of the one I give for Clover Valley Chemistry and modify it for other courses.  Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?  I can email you a copy in Word format instead of PDF if you want to be able to use the outline and modify it. 🙂

I didn’t think of it. Off to go look at it.

for some reason I started mine in excel and then realized that I would probably eventually need to put it in word. I transferred it to word and added text boxes and such and now I realize that more formatting elements I add, higher the odds of document going haywire. So now I am wondering if a simpler formatting is better. I do want it to look “professional.” So I am chasing my tail. 🙂 

• Like 1