Menu

Those with UAH experience.

frogger

So my son just told me he had to attend freshman orientation  at UAH before he is allowed to register for classes. This is frustrating because we live in Alaska!

Also,  because he plans on working, hopefully on a road crew, over the summer. There is usually a hurry to finish projects before winter. They aren't impressed with people who ask for time off and he already has to leave fairly early to get to school and he needs to actually be earning money not flying across the country. It takes 3.5 to 4 hours just for flight time just to get to Seattle. Most our flights are red eye so it is grueling to show up at 1AM and head to work that day. Could be dangerous depending on what he is doing so he may miss about week's work plus travel expenses, by the time he adds together orientation days and travel, not to mention he is hoping for overtime as he has college expenses to pay.

They do have a late orientation that is reserved for far away students but we were both wondering if classes would be booked, etc if he waited until he arrived to sign up for classes. Will most classes be full? Is it dangerous to wait until the last minute to register?  Other than Chem he won't be taking many of the Freshman classes because of dual enrollment credits but I don't know if that will make a difference because older kids don't have to wait until the last minute either. It might make it worse. 

• Like 1

I don't know about UAH specifically, but Us in general block out seats as unavailable to hold seats for students attending later orientations. I would have him make a phone call in order to clarify and put your mind at ease. But, I don't think you need to worry that there won't be any seats left. 

• Like 3

@frogger I don't think that is correct. Have him email his admissions counselor to check, but I believe he can register online early & then attend the last orientation session (for the far away people). I don't believe UAH holds back seats (because their FAQ addresses this), but we were told by an admissions counselor that registration could be done online at the beginning of summer.

If any classes needed to be changed, say due to AP results, that could be addressed at orientation (but they don't guarantee they'll be able to get you a certain section). Honors, obviously, has more "pull" if he's been accepted to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Definitely contact the school. One of my kids missed orientation in Virginia because we lived in Hawaii.  Similar situation of a mid summer orientation and a huge cost in money and time.

He did have to contact several entities that were involved in orientation to make sure it was ok and to take care of things he would be missing. As he has these conversations he should be asking if there are other offices he should also be in touch with.

• Like 2

There wasn't anything about that in his email but I will have him call and check RootAnn. He isn't honors but he does have a lot of DE credits so I hate to have him register for classes a few days before. Although, technically I suppose having the earlier calc classes done should make scheduling easier.  

• Like 2

We also live out of state, about 15 hours away from UAH. Ds will be a freshman this fall. According to the UAH parent Facebook page, registration opens for incoming non honors freshman on March 25th. Ds hasn't confirmed this yet, though. According to those parents, your son can contact either his admission counselor (to find out who his advisor is) or his advisor (if he knows who it is) and the advisor will create a four year plan specifically for your son. Again, I haven't personally verified this info. My ds isn't motivated to start the ball rolling, as much as DH and I encourage him. That fb page has had some helpful info on it for me as a parent.

I'll be following along to see what other responses you get. I'm trying to light a fire under ds, but so far there isn't even a spark. 😕

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 2

My son has talked to his advisor a couple times about what classes will transfer and has been making plans. A four year plan doesn't do you much good unless you actually get the classes you need though which is what bothers him. Hopefully they still have the policy RootAnn mentioned. Maybe they just don't mention it so people closer don't complain. 

• Like 2

@frogger re: which classes transfer. Has UAH gotten his DE transcript processed yet? They have already put DD's DE classes (from the official transcript she sent with her application) into their system & indicated officially what they transfer as. It is on her my.uah account. I don't know how quickly they process them, just that UAH is the only school who has already put the classes into their system and her account so we know exactly how they count. 

We were just there a month ago, so unless the admissions rep lied to us, it should be available. I don't know the details, though. (Dd hasn't decided on a college yet, but UAH is still in the running.) 

For both of your kids: through their my.uah.edu accounts, they can already play around with schedules for the fall. The scheduling tool is pretty neat & they can keep an eye on how the classes they want are filling up by saving some of their favorite schedules & checking back on them later.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

@frogger re: which classes transfer. Has UAH gotten his DE transcript processed yet? They have already put DD's DE classes (from the official transcript she sent with her application) into their system & indicated officially what they transfer as. It is on her my.uah account. I don't know how quickly they process them, just that UAH is the only school who has already put the classes into their system and her account so we know exactly how they count. 

We were just there a month ago, so unless the admissions rep lied to us, it should be available. I don't know the details, though. (Dd hasn't decided on a college yet, but UAH is still in the running.) 

For both of your kids: through their my.uah.edu accounts, they can already play around with schedules for the fall. The scheduling tool is pretty neat & they can keep an eye on how the classes they want are filling up by saving some of their favorite schedules & checking back on them later.

My son is mostly handling things on his own so I don't know if he discovered the scheduling tool.  I think he was checking which classes he could take this semester that would count towards his degree. In other words, he didn't have a transcript yet so they won't have a transcript for those classes until May. I'm not sure about previous transcripts. I will mention it to him. 

It will just be a huge relief if he can schedule earlier than the orientation. 

• Like 2

The scheduling tool is a must to have alternatives at the ready! 

Given his circumstances, I don't know that late registration will make much difference: everyone will be ahead of him in the queue already for non-freshman classes. 

What's his intended major? I can have dd ask her friends about scheduling difficulties. 

• Like 2

I have posted about this before, but if you haven't heard about it, look into Coursicle. Coursicle is an app that tracks whatever courses/sections you enter and will send out an alert if there is an opening.  It can help students be the one to snag that single few-minutes-long opening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, katilac said:

The scheduling tool is a must to have alternatives at the ready! 

Given his circumstances, I don't know that late registration will make much difference: everyone will be ahead of him in the queue already for non-freshman classes. 

What's his intended major? I can have dd ask her friends about scheduling difficulties. 

Electrical Engineering

True, non-freshman would take precedence. Hopefully, that won't mess him up too bad. He knows to try to schedule the things that are a prerequisite to the largest number of classes first. 

• Like 1

OP Thank you.  This thread is of interest to us, although my DD didn't apply to UAH.    We live overseas (South America) but she isn't an "International" student, so like you, she will face some of the same issues your DS has at UAH.  

8FillTheHeart Thank you for the information about Coursicle!   I Googled that and will give that valuable information to my DD.

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you.

It is really fun seeing where some of the Hive kids have been accepted to & some have made their choices, some haven't, and some are still waiting on acceptances. I keep the first post updated (as often as I can) as people post info. Those with younger kids can look back to see who got accepted where & ask questions. But, partly it is great to celebrate what our kids are celebrating.

Class of 2019 acceptances

• Like 1