Menu

Can a 9th grader who is strong in language arts jump into WWS3?

She did Lost Tools for 7th grade. This year in 8th she is doing a combo of the Creative Writer assignments and assignments from a co-op class that involve literature responses. I don't want to start her in something too easy, but I don't know how much the program sort of builds on previous books.

She is definitely a liberal arts kid and not a STEM kid. 

We're in book 3, but it seems to me that it would be more beneficial to start with book 1 and work through. You are correct that they build up the skills they are practicing. The books are set up in units, so, for instance, if she wouldn't benefit from poetry comparison practice it would be easy to skip. By the third book there is a lot more "choose your own topic to practice this skill" writing. Most of the writing practice is not reader response, but rather things like "Explanation by Cause and Effect in History/Science", "Place Description and Chronological Narrative", or "Outlining and rewriting a Classical Essay".