Menu

Question about Khan academy (or is it Kahn?)

ktgrok

Is it self adjusting? As in, if a child is understanding and doing well will they move ahead more quickly versus if they are needing more practice on a type of problem? If I wanted to have a kid finish the year doing Kahn instead of our regular curriculum, would they have to start at the beginning of the grade level and move at a normal pace - or does it figure out what they know and don't know and then just have them cover what they are missing?

Hmm...I don't think it is. I had to start myself at a spot, and then I could work through either just doing unit tests or doing each lesson.

Have you tried Freckle.com?  I know that's self adjusting for the most part.  I don't think it really teaches as much, though.

Khan has changed since I first started using it several years ago. It is more self adjusting now than it used to be. For a free resource, it’s amazing, really.

And it does not let the child go on if they’re having a problem. So they get more practice at things they need more practice on.

but I don’t use it often because finding things can be confusing, and the videos are pretty dry.