Menu

Going back to college; need to brush up on math

Introductory Algebra by Lial, et al.  It's a remedial college text and is written to the student.  Older editions cheap on Amazon.  Answers to odd problems in the back, but there are also student solutions manuals.  Be sure the title, cover, and year of publication match.  If you need pre-algebra, too, Lial has that, as well.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kiana said:

Are you solid on pre-algebra as well? A lot of errors my students make in algebra are traced to pre-algebra.

What test are you preparing for? 

That's a good point. Going over pre-algebra as well wouldn't hurt. I'd just like to brush up on things before my math placement test. 

Yes, I mean do you know what they use for placement? Is it accuplacer? The reason I was asking was that accuplacer has a preparation app that explains things as well, if it's a "brush up" you need rather than intensive teaching. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, kiana said:

Yes, I mean do you know what they use for placement? Is it accuplacer? The reason I was asking was that accuplacer has a preparation app that explains things as well, if it's a "brush up" you need rather than intensive teaching. 

I'm not sure what they use, but I'll look into accuplacer either way 🙂

Okay.

One of the newer books in the college math market is called "developmental mathematics" -- designed for accelerated and combination developmental mathematics courses, it is called "developmental mathematics: basic mathematics and algebra". It is basically a combination text for carrying you from pre-algebra up through intermediate algebra. 

I think it would be great for someone in your situation. The disadvantage is that it's going to be slightly more expensive because it's a newer format -- but I think the all-in-one approach would be right for you. I'd use it in a diagnostic-prescriptive manner -- test yourself, then work problems. If you have trouble finding one of those, beginning + intermediate algebra or introductory + intermediate algebra is an old version of similar combo texts that won't have quite as much pre-algebra, but should be totally workable. 

Lial has a version of the above, but so do many others. You don't need to restrict yourself -- pretty much any major publisher's will work. Martin-Gay is one of the ones a lot of my friends like to teach out of, though I haven't used it. I would buy the student solutions manual FIRST, then the text. People often list the wrong edition, especially for the solutions manual, and you want them to match. That way if someone accidentally sends the wrong edition, you can get the matching text. 

If you need to check a solution for a computational problem and you don't have the solutions manual, Wolfram Alpha is really nice.

In a more electronic approach, Khan Academy is good for brushing up. 

• Like 1

If you want something that will assess you and then work only on topics you need to master, take a look at ALEKS online. 

$20/month, assessment at the beginning and then periodically, you can switch courses as needed. It can be much quicker than working through a text, particularly if  you are not confident in assessing  your own skills.