Menu

What's with the ads?

hopeistheword

Let’s play a round of “this is what my username means”

2 hours ago, forty-two said:

Mine's the answer to life, the universe, and everything ;).  (It's from The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  An alien race built a super-computer to find the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything.  After seven-and-a-half million years of computing, the computer, Deep Thought, spits out the answer: 42.  This naturally rather confused the alien race.  Deep Thought said that they now needed to find the *question* that would make the answer comprehensible.  It wasn't able to do that itself, but it was able to design the computer that could.  That computer works on finding the Great Question of life, the universe, and everything, to which 42 is the answer, for ten million years, but five minutes before it completes its calculations, the computer is eminent domain'd and destroyed.  Oops.)

42 is also a great domino game, which I played a lot at the time I'd first started using it.

I picked it when I needed a camp counselor nickname when I was 19, and have used it online ever since.  (I'm now approaching the time when my age is going to match my username.  When I was in my 20s, it was funny when people assumed my username reflected my age.  Now that my username is getting close to *actually* reflecting my age, it's a little disconcerting, actually.)

ETA: My avatar has nothing to do with my username.  It's my favorite illustration from Beatrix Potter, from "A Tale of Miss Moppet" (now in the public domain).  The expression on her face when she opens up the handkerchief to find the mouse she'd trapped in it had escaped without her noticing - it just cracks me up every time.

I loved the year I was 42.  I was the answer to everything.  😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, OKBud said:

I say, "OK, bud." a hundred times a day to my kids. I had to explain that a few years ago because someone here told me that all along they'd thought I was a marijuana enthusiast from Oklahoma 🤣.

Of course even the story of your username is hilarious 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ducks have always been my favorite animal!  The snark of Happy Bunny cracks me up.  I am a fan of using an "I" instead of a "Y" in names.  My photo is one I've had for ages because DUCKIES!

• Like 10

@happi duck

A present for you.  I took this picture at my state's farm show a few years ago.  A bunch of little ducklings were all swimming around in a tub of water, and they'd made a slide for the ducks.  The ducks would waddle up one side of the slide and then slide down.  It was so adorable, I think about 50 people passed out from the sheer cuteness of it.  This guy in his blue hoodie came along to feed them and he had to take them out of their water and put them in another bin with their food.

25348829_10210569482620053_1339335493446166826_n.jpg

Edited by Garga
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nevergiveup said:

Nevergiveup, because--well, what's the alternative?

You haven't seen me try to exercise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

KT is just a version of Katie, my name. Grok is from the book Stranger in a Strange Land..it basically means to understand something so fully it becomes part of you. I really liked the entire concept of that word, and was rereading the book when I set up some user name somewhere, don't even remember where. And then I kept using it other places I needed a user name because it's always available, lol. No other Ktgrok's running around. At this point I've used it so much I sometimes get emails and phone calls asking for Mrs. Grok, lol. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 11

15 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

KT is just a version of Katie, my name. Grok is from the book Stranger in a Strange Land..it basically means to understand something so fully it becomes part of you. I really liked the entire concept of that word, and was rereading the book when I set up some user name somewhere, don't even remember where. And then I kept using it other places I needed a user name because it's always available, lol. No other Ktgrok's running around. At this point I've used it so much I sometimes get emails and phone calls asking for Mrs. Grok, lol. 

I need to read that book.  I've seen the term grok used here and there and never knew it was a literary allusion. 🤓

• Like 1

Ages ago on another forum I had a really nice pic of a kind of woman with stars all around, and it made me think of Stella Maris, star of the sea. Even though there wasn't any sea in the picture. It was a school I used to walk past a lot during college, a block back from the ocean. I wanted a name change, so I because i was thinking of the college, I just shortened it to Stella M. 

Dragged it over with me, along with another name I sometimes used, which came from a picture of a cleaning lady, which made me think of the song, Sadie, the cleaning lady.

I should add that I keep Stella M because it makes me think of walking near the beach.

Edited by StellaM
  • Like 13

6 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

I need to read that book.  I've seen the term grok used here and there and never knew it was a literary allusion. 🤓

There are two versions, and I recommend the edited one. The uncut version is way longer, but not better in my opinion. Sometimes editors know what they are doing, lol. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

It's, well, Heinlein.  I always find it amazing on rereading Heinlein that I got through it the first time without really noticing how many Very Strange Social Ideas he had.  But the plotting is so good and the writing so clear!  It's a book worth reading.

• Like 5

My name is a combination of the nicknames I used for my kiddos when they were little -- well, forms of them anyway.

I briefly had an Etsy shop of the same name, PeachyDoodle Designs.

• Like 7

I used to be Remudamom because a remuda is a herd of horses and I had a herd of horses.  Remudamom was also fun because sometimes I was Rumudamom.

However my new name is much more dear to me, Belle is my middle name and my grandchildren call me MaBelle.  

Anyhow, I'm diabetic now and had to switch from rum to tequila....

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, MaBelle said:

I used to be Remudamom because a remuda is a herd of horses and I had a herd of horses.  Remudamom was also fun because sometimes I was Rumudamom.

However my new name is much more dear to me, Belle is my middle name and my grandchildren call me MaBelle.  

I remember you as Remudamom! I didn’t know your new name.  Nice to “see” you again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

My name is Dorothy and it's a phrase I probably heard about 20 million times in my life.

My avatar worked better before the avatar blocks changed from square to round.  I'll fix it one of these days.  I made it myself using powerpoint.

Every time I see your name I think "right here," because I have a Cairn Terrier that looks just like the Toto in the movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Oh, and I am not a librarian.  For 26 years I've worked for a company that works with libraries across the country.  At the time I opened the account I also volunteered in my dc's school library on a weekly basis.

• Like 6

Mine is the name of the dog in my avatar pic. I've had many dogs, but she was the best. I still miss her. And I live in TN. 

• Like 9

Way back when, there were a couple new Ellens posting and I was getting confused as to which posts were mine.  In honor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day", I found my pirate name on a pirate name generator.  And I liked the idea of a saltier, buxom alter-ego.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Way back when, there were a couple new Ellens posting and I was getting confused as to which posts were mine.  In honor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day", I found my pirate name on a pirate name generator.  And I liked the idea of a saltier, buxom alter-ego.  

I’ve always wondered. . .😝

• Like 2

Just now, dirty ethel rackham said:

I’ve always wondered about the story behind your name!! Love it. Now you’re going to sound like a pirate in my head when I read your posts. Before you sounded like Bette Davis. Maybe I’ll keep the Bette voice though. That’s definitely buxom and salty. 🙂 

• Haha 1

Well, I'm a very boring person, and not creative at all.  I have 4 kids and consider them blessings.

I was just overjoyed when the forums changed and I could change it from myblessings3!  That 4th kid was pretty old by that point!

• Like 9

Originally I was Floridamom, which was pretty self explanatory. Another member couldn't remember my exact name and called me Lady Florida in a post. I liked being Lady Someone, so I changed it. Either name tells you my location.  🙂 

21 hours ago, Plum Crazy said:

I miss my purple hair profile picture. It wasn’t mine, so I could no longer use it. 😓 It summed up my name. I 💜 purple. It also comes from a character I wrote in a story long ago whose name was Plumeria Castle. I have a long history with my username. If you run into a female character in a game with my username, that could be me. 👩🏻‍🎤

I used to love that purple hair picture and for a long time I thought it was your hair. I remember you posting one time and telling us it wasn't yours. It was so pretty and it's a shame you had to change it.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I remember when you did that!  

3 hours ago, MaBelle said:

I recognized you from your avatar, tiny as it it.  And I also recognize your style of posting—succint.  You mange to say what everyone else is saying, but in about 1/10th of the words.  🙂

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I used to love that purple hair picture and for a long time I thought it was your hair. I remember you posting one time and telling us it wasn't yours. It was so pretty and it's a shame you had to change it.

I have dyed my hair purple, but I’ve never been able to get it as long as in the picture and it will never be that thick. 😪 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I learned that word from Mayim Bialiks blog Groknation but never realised that’s why it was in your user name

• Like 3

I like this thread.  There are a couple of people here that sound familiar but I couldn’t place and now I know who they are

mines self explanatory - from Aus I’m a mum and I have three kids.  I use it elsewhere but not everywhere because apparently there’s a few mums in Australia with three kids.

this thread reminded me - didn’t their used to be a creekmom around.  She had horses?  I haven’t seen her forever. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I like this thread.  There are a couple of people here that sound familiar but I couldn’t place and now I know who they are

mines self explanatory - from Aus I’m a mum and I have three kids.  I use it elsewhere but not everywhere because apparently there’s a few mums in Australia with three kids.

this thread reminded me - didn’t their used to be a creekmom around.  She had horses?  I haven’t seen her forever. 

• Like 2

I love the character of Miss Lemon from the Inspector Poirot series, so there you go. 🍋

• Like 8

Mine is pretty boring when I was a teen a friend her sister and I were playing a video game.  They were bickering  and the sister put friends name in, as first syllable plus b*tchie, and my name as first syllable + coola.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I find it isn’t easy picking a username.  I feel like it can be taken as a reflection of who I am... but maybe I was overthinking that idea.

I thought of something with rainbows…but then people might think I was trying to make a statement about inclusiveness…no, I just like rainbows.   I wanted something lavender, but I think there was someone here with that name.   So, I go with nothing, sorry guys!  I have probably been prejudged anyway, thinking I am a lurker or being overprotective by staying anonymous…well, I was just not very creative or decisive at the time!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

My username has changed here from so long ago. It used to be...well, I can't even remember now. But anyways, the new one was because I had (at the time) 5 kids who are paradoxes [a situation, person, or thing that combines contradictory features or qualities]. And Paradox sounded better than Anomaly or Incongruity! I thought I had removed the 5 when I had Captain 2 yrs ago.

The definition came from Google Dictionary.

The Ordinary Princess is a book I love about a princess who looks quite a lot like me.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 8

Well, I'm a very boring person, and not creative at all.  I have 4 kids and consider them blessings.

I was just overjoyed when the forums changed and I could change it from myblessings3!  That 4th kid was pretty old by that point!

My first username was based on how many children I had at the time. I'm not creative so it's all I could come up with, only the babies kept on coming and I was still stuck with my 7 kids username. So coming back I decided it was time to catch up with the kids/years. The one problem I ran into with this username is that I guess it is also the name/title of a rather...um...adult entertainment...um...well, yeah. Found that out after I chose my username...good thing it was late at night and my kids were not up to see what popped up on the screen. Oy...

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

My username has changed here from so long ago. It used to be...well, I can't even remember now. But anyways, the new one was because I had (at the time) 5 kids who are paradoxes [a situation, person, or thing that combines contradictory features or qualities]. And Paradox sounded better than Anomaly or Incongruity! I thought I had removed the 5 when I had Captain 2 yrs ago.

The definition came from Google Dictionary.

The Ordinary Princess is a book I love about a princess who looks quite a lot like me.

I love that book.  I hadn’t read it in years then found the kindle version last year and had such a nice time reading it again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I think yours is my favorite-ist of all the WTM names, and I have very fond memories of that thread. 

• Like 2

Mine was the name of my queen dragon from way back when I was involved in Pern play-by-email. The 90s were a simpler time. 😂

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mergath said:

Mine was the name of my queen dragon from way back when I was involved in Pern play-by-email. The 90s were a simpler time. 😂

It's a lovely name for a queen!

• Like 4

It’s my middle name given to me by my grandma. It was her middle name too🌺

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Are you thinking of Creekland?  She raised ponies?  Her husband is also an engineer, and her middle son was getting a medical degree?  That one?  

She lives about 40 minutes from me and I’ve met her at some WTM meetups.  Her kids are all either past college age or are working on that medical degree, which takes forever.  She felt like she wasn’t able to contribute much to homeschooling posts anymore, since she was so far removed from it, and she stopped posting.  

Last summer, I visited a church that’s about 20 minutes from my home (and about 20 minutes from Creekland’s home, but in the opposite direction), and a young man got up to say he was heading out for a medical mission (go to a foreign country and help with medical issues). The church was going to pray for safe journey for him.  I thought, “That young man looks familiar.  I think I’ve seen a video of him juggling fire.”  I approached him after the service and confirmed it was, indeed, Creekland’s medical student son who juggles fire as a hobby (she’d shared some videos). Apparently, the church I was visiting is the church they attend. Creekland wasn’t there that day, so I didn’t get to say hi to her, but I sent her well-wishes via her son.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 18

Mine came from World of Warcraft, a multi-player role playing game. Night Elves were a race you could choose. They were my favorite.

The problem is that I do not play WoW anymore so my user name doesn't reflect anything in my life. If I had the choice to change it, I have no idea what to change it to!

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Garga said:

Are you thinking of Creekland?  She raised ponies?  Her husband is also an engineer, and her middle son was getting a medical degree?  That one?  

She lives about 40 minutes from me and I’ve met her at some WTM meetups.  Her kids are all either past college age or are working on that medical degree, which takes forever.  She felt like she wasn’t able to contribute much to homeschooling posts anymore, since she was so far removed from it, and she stopped posting.  

Last summer, I visited a church that’s about 20 minutes from my home (and about 20 minutes from Creekland’s home, but in the opposite direction), and a young man got up to say he was heading out for a medical mission (go to a foreign country and help with medical issues). The church was going to pray for safe journey for him.  I thought, “That young man looks familiar.  I think I’ve seen a video of him juggling fire.”  I approached him after the service and confirmed it was, indeed, Creekland’s medical student son who juggles fire as a hobby (she’d shared some videos). Apparently, the church I was visiting is the church they attend. Creekland wasn’t there that day, so I didn’t get to say hi to her, but I sent her well-wishes via her son.  

Yes!  Creekland.  I’m glad it sounds like her kids are going well.  How fun that you visited her church without realising. 

• Like 3

I wish I could claim it was a flash of wit, but it was actually a slip of the tongue.

We are Australian and we have chickens, which are commonly called chooks here. We call ours our chookies.

One day while trying to say chocolate-chip cookie, in a boring everyday kitchen conversation, I accidentally said chocolate-chip chooky and it sounded kind of cool.

My avatar is a Silver-Laced Wyandotte, one of our favourite breeds. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Mine is from the English folk song Lavender's Blue, or Lavender's Green. I grew up on the Burl Ives version (though there are many, many versions, some cheekier than others). I always wanted a marriage like that and I did indeed get married in a lavender dress, and we treat each other like a king and queen. You can find it on youtube. 

I sing it to my kids all the time, but with the lyrics they used in the 2015 Cinderella.

FTR, when I was googling I came across a homeschool blog called Lavender's Blue. That isn't me; no relation.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lavender's green said:

Mine is from the English folk song Lavender's Blue, or Lavender's Green. I grew up on the Burl Ives version (though there are many, many versions, some cheekier than others). I always wanted a marriage like that and I did indeed get married in a lavender dress, and we treat each other like a king and queen. You can find it on youtube. 

I sing it to my kids all the time, but with the lyrics they used in the 2015 Cinderella.

FTR, when I was googling I came across a homeschool blog called Lavender's Blue. That isn't me; no relation.

Your name always reminds me of the song "Lavender" by the band Marillion. It incorporates the folk song. 

My name is the name of St. Benedict's sister St. Scholastica. We strive to be Benedectine in our atmosphere around here.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I’ve always really liked your username. 

• Like 2

My username is just a derivative of my first name... which is Kristen. Nobody has ever called my Krissi, my parents and relatives called me Kristi, which I actually prefer. The K at the end is for my last name.

• Like 6