Menu

Let’s play a round of “this is what my username means”

Kidlit

KT is just a version of Katie, my name. Grok is from the book Stranger in a Strange Land..it basically means to understand something so fully it becomes part of you. I really liked the entire concept of that word, and was rereading the book when I set up some user name somewhere, don't even remember where. And then I kept using it other places I needed a user name because it's always available, lol. No other Ktgrok's running around. At this point I've used it so much I sometimes get emails and phone calls asking for Mrs. Grok, lol. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 9

15 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

KT is just a version of Katie, my name. Grok is from the book Stranger in a Strange Land..it basically means to understand something so fully it becomes part of you. I really liked the entire concept of that word, and was rereading the book when I set up some user name somewhere, don't even remember where. And then I kept using it other places I needed a user name because it's always available, lol. No other Ktgrok's running around. At this point I've used it so much I sometimes get emails and phone calls asking for Mrs. Grok, lol. 

I need to read that book.  I've seen the term grok used here and there and never knew it was a literary allusion. 🤓

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

I need to read that book.  I've seen the term grok used here and there and never knew it was a literary allusion. 🤓

There are two versions, and I recommend the edited one. The uncut version is way longer, but not better in my opinion. Sometimes editors know what they are doing, lol. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

It's, well, Heinlein.  I always find it amazing on rereading Heinlein that I got through it the first time without really noticing how many Very Strange Social Ideas he had.  But the plotting is so good and the writing so clear!  It's a book worth reading.

• Like 5

I used to be Remudamom because a remuda is a herd of horses and I had a herd of horses.  Remudamom was also fun because sometimes I was Rumudamom.

However my new name is much more dear to me, Belle is my middle name and my grandchildren call me MaBelle.  

Anyhow, I'm diabetic now and had to switch from rum to tequila....

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, MaBelle said:

I used to be Remudamom because a remuda is a herd of horses and I had a herd of horses.  Remudamom was also fun because sometimes I was Rumudamom.

However my new name is much more dear to me, Belle is my middle name and my grandchildren call me MaBelle.  

I remember you as Remudamom! I didn’t know your new name.  Nice to “see” you again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

My name is Dorothy and it's a phrase I probably heard about 20 million times in my life.

My avatar worked better before the avatar blocks changed from square to round.  I'll fix it one of these days.  I made it myself using powerpoint.

Every time I see your name I think "right here," because I have a Cairn Terrier that looks just like the Toto in the movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Way back when, there were a couple new Ellens posting and I was getting confused as to which posts were mine.  In honor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day", I found my pirate name on a pirate name generator.  And I liked the idea of a saltier, buxom alter-ego.  

I’ve always wondered. . .😝

• Like 2

Originally I was Floridamom, which was pretty self explanatory. Another member couldn't remember my exact name and called me Lady Florida in a post. I liked being Lady Someone, so I changed it. Either name tells you my location.  🙂 

21 hours ago, Plum Crazy said:

I miss my purple hair profile picture. It wasn’t mine, so I could no longer use it. 😓 It summed up my name. I 💜 purple. It also comes from a character I wrote in a story long ago whose name was Plumeria Castle. I have a long history with my username. If you run into a female character in a game with my username, that could be me. 👩🏻‍🎤

I used to love that purple hair picture and for a long time I thought it was your hair. I remember you posting one time and telling us it wasn't yours. It was so pretty and it's a shame you had to change it.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Way back when, there were a couple new Ellens posting and I was getting confused as to which posts were mine.  In honor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day", I found my pirate name on a pirate name generator.  And I liked the idea of a saltier, buxom alter-ego.  

I remember when you did that!  

3 hours ago, MaBelle said:

I recognized you from your avatar, tiny as it it.  And I also recognize your style of posting—succint.  You mange to say what everyone else is saying, but in about 1/10th of the words.  🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I learned that word from Mayim Bialiks blog Groknation but never realised that’s why it was in your user name

• Like 2

I like this thread.  There are a couple of people here that sound familiar but I couldn’t place and now I know who they are

mines self explanatory - from Aus I’m a mum and I have three kids.  I use it elsewhere but not everywhere because apparently there’s a few mums in Australia with three kids.

this thread reminded me - didn’t their used to be a creekmom around.  She had horses?  I haven’t seen her forever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like this thread.  There are a couple of people here that sound familiar but I couldn’t place and now I know who they are

mines self explanatory - from Aus I’m a mum and I have three kids.  I use it elsewhere but not everywhere because apparently there’s a few mums in Australia with three kids.

this thread reminded me - didn’t their used to be a creekmom around.  She had horses?  I haven’t seen her forever. 

• Like 2

I find it isn’t easy picking a username.  I feel like it can be taken as a reflection of who I am... but maybe I was overthinking that idea.

I thought of something with rainbows…but then people might think I was trying to make a statement about inclusiveness…no, I just like rainbows.   I wanted something lavender, but I think there was someone here with that name.   So, I go with nothing, sorry guys!  I have probably been prejudged anyway, thinking I am a lurker or being overprotective by staying anonymous…well, I was just not very creative or decisive at the time!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Well, I'm a very boring person, and not creative at all.  I have 4 kids and consider them blessings.

I was just overjoyed when the forums changed and I could change it from myblessings3!  That 4th kid was pretty old by that point!

My first username was based on how many children I had at the time. I'm not creative so it's all I could come up with, only the babies kept on coming and I was still stuck with my 7 kids username. So coming back I decided it was time to catch up with the kids/years. The one problem I ran into with this username is that I guess it is also the name/title of a rather...um...adult entertainment...um...well, yeah. Found that out after I chose my username...good thing it was late at night and my kids were not up to see what popped up on the screen. Oy...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

My username has changed here from so long ago. It used to be...well, I can't even remember now. But anyways, the new one was because I had (at the time) 5 kids who are paradoxes [a situation, person, or thing that combines contradictory features or qualities]. And Paradox sounded better than Anomaly or Incongruity! I thought I had removed the 5 when I had Captain 2 yrs ago.

The definition came from Google Dictionary.

The Ordinary Princess is a book I love about a princess who looks quite a lot like me.

I love that book.  I hadn’t read it in years then found the kindle version last year and had such a nice time reading it again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I think yours is my favorite-ist of all the WTM names, and I have very fond memories of that thread. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Are you thinking of Creekland?  She raised ponies?  Her husband is also an engineer, and her middle son was getting a medical degree?  That one?  

She lives about 40 minutes from me and I’ve met her at some WTM meetups.  Her kids are all either past college age or are working on that medical degree, which takes forever.  She felt like she wasn’t able to contribute much to homeschooling posts anymore, since she was so far removed from it, and she stopped posting.  

Last summer, I visited a church that’s about 20 minutes from my home (and about 20 minutes from Creekland’s home, but in the opposite direction), and a young man got up to say he was heading out for a medical mission (go to a foreign country and help with medical issues). The church was going to pray for safe journey for him.  I thought, “That young man looks familiar.  I think I’ve seen a video of him juggling fire.”  I approached him after the service and confirmed it was, indeed, Creekland’s medical student son who juggles fire as a hobby (she’d shared some videos). Apparently, the church I was visiting is the church they attend. Creekland wasn’t there that day, so I didn’t get to say hi to her, but I sent her well-wishes via her son.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 17

Mine came from World of Warcraft, a multi-player role playing game. Night Elves were a race you could choose. They were my favorite.

The problem is that I do not play WoW anymore so my user name doesn't reflect anything in my life. If I had the choice to change it, I have no idea what to change it to!

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Garga said:

Are you thinking of Creekland?  She raised ponies?  Her husband is also an engineer, and her middle son was getting a medical degree?  That one?  

She lives about 40 minutes from me and I’ve met her at some WTM meetups.  Her kids are all either past college age or are working on that medical degree, which takes forever.  She felt like she wasn’t able to contribute much to homeschooling posts anymore, since she was so far removed from it, and she stopped posting.  

Last summer, I visited a church that’s about 20 minutes from my home (and about 20 minutes from Creekland’s home, but in the opposite direction), and a young man got up to say he was heading out for a medical mission (go to a foreign country and help with medical issues). The church was going to pray for safe journey for him.  I thought, “That young man looks familiar.  I think I’ve seen a video of him juggling fire.”  I approached him after the service and confirmed it was, indeed, Creekland’s medical student son who juggles fire as a hobby (she’d shared some videos). Apparently, the church I was visiting is the church they attend. Creekland wasn’t there that day, so I didn’t get to say hi to her, but I sent her well-wishes via her son.  

Yes!  Creekland.  I’m glad it sounds like her kids are going well.  How fun that you visited her church without realising. 

• Like 3

I wish I could claim it was a flash of wit, but it was actually a slip of the tongue.

We are Australian and we have chickens, which are commonly called chooks here. We call ours our chookies.

One day while trying to say chocolate-chip cookie, in a boring everyday kitchen conversation, I accidentally said chocolate-chip chooky and it sounded kind of cool.

My avatar is a Silver-Laced Wyandotte, one of our favourite breeds. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Mine is from the English folk song Lavender's Blue, or Lavender's Green. I grew up on the Burl Ives version (though there are many, many versions, some cheekier than others). I always wanted a marriage like that and I did indeed get married in a lavender dress, and we treat each other like a king and queen. You can find it on youtube. 

I sing it to my kids all the time, but with the lyrics they used in the 2015 Cinderella.

FTR, when I was googling I came across a homeschool blog called Lavender's Blue. That isn't me; no relation.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lavender's green said:

Mine is from the English folk song Lavender's Blue, or Lavender's Green. I grew up on the Burl Ives version (though there are many, many versions, some cheekier than others). I always wanted a marriage like that and I did indeed get married in a lavender dress, and we treat each other like a king and queen. You can find it on youtube. 

I sing it to my kids all the time, but with the lyrics they used in the 2015 Cinderella.

FTR, when I was googling I came across a homeschool blog called Lavender's Blue. That isn't me; no relation.

Your name always reminds me of the song "Lavender" by the band Marillion. It incorporates the folk song. 

My name is the name of St. Benedict's sister St. Scholastica. We strive to be Benedectine in our atmosphere around here.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I’ve always really liked your username. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I wish I could claim it was a flash of wit, but it was actually a slip of the tongue.

We are Australian and we have chickens, which are commonly called chooks here. We call ours our chookies.

One day while trying to say chocolate-chip cookie, in a boring everyday kitchen conversation, I accidentally said chocolate-chip chooky and it sounded kind of cool.

I love your name and avatar. I think we Americans need to adopt the use of the word "chook" -  it's so much more fun than boring old "chicken".🐔

• Like 5

My username is my longtime nickname.  When I was a baby my mom would often carry me in a front pouch.  Friends and family started playing on the word kangaroo and saying I was her Wendyroo.  

38 years later and I'm pretty sure it is here to stay.

• Like 9

I love all these stories! I wish @regentrude would play, I've always wondered how to pronounce it and also what it means.

Mine is boring and self explanatory. I'm a mom to 5 kids and I live in Indiana. After Easter I'm going to have to change it to momto6 🙂

Edited by Momto5inIN
Eta my picture is me and DH in front of a glacier in Alaska
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

My dd had chickens for a while (and wants them again!).  She had some Silver-Laced Wyandottes.  They are pretty!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

I wish @regentrude would play, I've always wondered how to pronounce it and also what it means.

Regentrude is a fairy tale by the German author Theodor Storm. 

"The Germanic pagan deity, 'The Rainmaiden' has fallen asleep, causing widespread drought and poverty. A young couple, Andreas and Maren must trick an old goblin into leading them to the magic garden of 'The Rainmaiden' and wake her up."

• Like 19

Many years ago when I was a young teen people told me I favored Vivian Leigh’s looks and Scarlett’s character.  I am now the age Vivian Leigh was when she died but the nickname stuck and now I have had it on WTM and another mom forum for 15 years. 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Regentrude is a fairy tale by the German author Theodor Storm. 

"The Germanic pagan deity, 'The Rainmaiden' has fallen asleep, causing widespread drought and poverty. A young couple, Andreas and Maren must trick an old goblin into leading them to the magic garden of 'The Rainmaiden' and wake her up."

I’m actually really glad to know this, too. I pronounce it in my head with a long e, like REE-jen-trood. I assumed it had the root of Reg-, like for royalty. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quill said:

I’m actually really glad to know this, too. I pronounce it in my head with a long e, like REE-jen-trood. I assumed it had the root of Reg-, like for royalty. 

@regentrude is definitely one of the names I've been most curious about!  I also pronounce it with the long E sound at the beginning. 

• Like 1

These are all so fun to read and I have whored out all my likes. 

Mine is Quill because I like to write. I have tried without success to put a different avatar in there since the forum change, but it never, ever, ever works. But it pleases me, at least, that my initial is a Q, because there are few active members with Q names. 

Long ago, before photo-gate, I had a cartoon of a porcupine, as a play on Quill. That was fun, too! 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

Nope, pronounciation is

ray-gan-troo-deh with a hard g as in "go" 

In German, the letter e makes an "ay" or "eh" sound, never "ee"

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1