Menu

Let’s play a round of “this is what my username means”

Kidlit

I’ll go first:

mine comes from a much-neglected blog, Hope Is the Word , which I named well over a decade ago from a paraphrased (?) quote from Les Miserables: “Hope is the Word God has written on the brow of every man.”  I saw the quote (before I ever read Les Mis) on something at a arts and crafts show.  It resonated with me and stuck with me. 

Next? 😊

• Like 9

Just now, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Mine originated in the Abcde thread- I wanted a fancier name than Texasmom33. 

I like British history and was reading about Æthlflæd at the time. But I’m not cool enough for her name. So I picked another good Æ name (which should totally be brought back ftr). It’s also handy because it’s harder for people to yell at you here by @ you if they can’t figure out how to make the Æ sign, which has been an added bonus, LOL. (Just kidding) (sort of). Also, we have no other Æ names on this whole board whereas we had many versions of Texasmoms so it’s less confusing I think. 🙂  

I love it!  I must’ve missed the abcd thread. 🤔. And now I’m very curious about how to make that character! 😝

• Like 1

Selkie is from my list of "names I love and may name a horse or dog someday" lol. If I ever get a mare, I'm pretty sure that will be her name (right now, my herd is all gents 🙂).

I love the Scottish mythology of the selkies or Seal Folk, who can change from seal to human form.

And also, although the spelling is slightly different, there is a Selke Trophy in the NHL that is awarded every year to the best defensive forward, and I am a hockey fanatic.

• Like 12

DH and I were making characters for a game we play and we decided to use local place names.  It is the Native American name for the volcano near where I grew up and still live, though not as close by now.  I decided to use that for my username here as well.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Selkie is from my list of "names I love and may name a horse or dog someday" lol. If I ever get a mare, I'm pretty sure that will be her name (right now, my herd is all gents 🙂).

I love the Scottish mythology of the selkies or Seal Folk, who can change from seal to human form.

And also, although the spelling is slightly different, there is a Selke Trophy in the NHL that is awarded every year to the best defensive forward, and I am a hockey fanatic.

I love it!  I have “if I ever get a ____ I’ll name her ____” list, too.  Mine are dogs, not horses, though. 😝. I dream of one day (as an empty nester) having two female

golden retrievers named Rilla and Kivrin, both after book characters. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Loowit said:

DH and I were making characters for a game we play and we decided to use local place names.  It is the Native American name for the volcano near where I grew up and still live, though not as close by now.  I decided to use that for my username here as well.

Interesting!

7 minutes ago, Plum Crazy said:

I miss my purple hair profile picture. It wasn’t mine, so I could no longer use it. 😓 It summed up my name. I 💜 purple. It also comes from a character I wrote in a story long ago whose name was Plumeria Castle. I have a long history with my username. If you run into a female character in a game with my username, that could be me. 👩🏻‍🎤

i heard the emojis were fixed. I hope that’s true. 🤞

I’m hopeistheword or Amy @ hopeistheword all over the Internet, too. 

Years and years and years ago, a group of friends convinced me to play a computer game (can’t even remember the name—something “Quest”?  Just remembered:  EverQuest!), where you could be an elf or a wizard or whatever.  I chose to play as a female barbarian.  I would wander around in that game not having a clue what to do and bored out of my mind.  All the other characters were always running around on missions and I could never figure out how you were supposed to get a mission.  I remember somehow getting a fishing rod in the game and fishing for lots of old boots.  I stopped playing the game after about a week.

I had to pick a name for my barbarian character and tried to think of something that would sound tough and barbarian-like and sort of a mix of “AAAAARRRR!” like a pirate and gargling sound as you said it.  So, Garga was born.

I used to have an avatar of a barbarian woman here on WTM, but it turned out it wasn’t a picture that was legal to use, and when Susan told us all we had to use our own pictures or pictures it was legally allowed for us to use, I changed my avatar to my own silhouette.

But I really, really miss my barbarian avatar.  When we had our first local meet-up here with WTMers before the avatar changes, one of them (Regguheert) joked, “And here I was expecting a barbarian queen to walk in the door, but you’re just a normal person!”   

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Garga said:

Years and years and years ago, a group of friends convinced me to play a computer game (can’t even remember the name—something “Quest”?  Just remembered:  EverQuest!), where you could be an elf or a wizard or whatever.  I chose to play as a female barbarian.  I would wander around in that game not having a clue what to do and bored out of my mind.  All the other characters were always running around on missions and I could never figure out how you were supposed to get a mission.  I remember somehow getting a fishing rod in the game and fishing for lots of old boots.  I stopped playing the game after about a week.

I had to pick a name for my barbarian character and tried to think of something that would sound tough and barbarian-like and sort of a mix of “AAAAARRRR!” like a pirate and gargling sound as you said it.  So, Garga was born.

I used to have an avatar of a barbarian woman here on WTM, but it turned out it wasn’t a picture that was legal to use, and when Susan told us all we had to use our own pictures or pictures it was legally allowed for us to use, I changed my avatar to my own silhouette.

But I really, really miss my barbarian avatar.  When we had our first local meet-up here with WTMers before the avatar changes, one of them (Regguheert) joked, “And here I was expecting a barbarian queen to walk in the door, but you’re just a normal person!”   

You’re one of the ones I’ve always wondered about! I’m so glad I asked (& you answered)! The story about the IRL WTM meetup is great. 😝

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MeaganS said:

Because there were many Meagans/Megans/Meghans/etc. And I was called Meagan S. Most of my life at school growing up. 

I know what you mean! I was once in a class with six or seven other Amy’s!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tbog said:

When email was first a thing, most of us used our real name. I used Yahoo Messenger to keep in touch with friends, but it also allowed creeps to message whoever they wanted. Having my real first name made it obvious I was female. I ended up changing it but couldn’t figure out something that fit. I ended up going with tbog because I’m a mom of two boys one girl. 

I used to work really hard at being anonymous, but I’m finally loosening up a little.  I hope I don’t regret it! 😝

• Haha 2

I'm like Jean, only in Virginia, except I'm not in VA anymore. 

My avatar used to be the knight from Monty Python's Holy Grail--the one who had had his limbs cut off--with the words, "It's just a flesh wound." I used it because that's my sense of humor, and because we were dealing with a child going thru addiction and there was all sorts of pain involved but I had to keep going (not a martyr, tho). I had to give up the avatar during the Great WTM  Picture Purge. 

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

I'm like Jean, only in Virginia, except I'm not in VA anymore. 

My avatar used to be the knight from Monty Python's Holy Grail--the one who had had his limbs cut off--with the words, "It's just a flesh wound." I used it because that's my sense of humor, and because we were dealing with a child going thru addiction and there was all sorts of pain involved but I had to keep going (not a martyr, tho). I had to give up the avatar during the Great WTM  Picture Purge. 

Love that sense of humor! I hope things are better for your family now. ❣️

• Like 1

I was originally ananemone, and there's a long story behind that that maybe I've actually lost.  Then I was briefly eternalsummer, which was just the brand name of a label I was making at the time (we make fabric labels) when I changed it from ananemone.  Then I lost my account in the forum shift and moonflower is the name of a font I was using to make a label when I signed up again.  I do a lot of posting/reading while I work.

My avatar is a graphic I purchased the limited rights to on Etsy and use to make labels.

• Like 11

I can't remember why I originally picked frogger but it started in the 90's as a username for something else and it was easy to stick with. I didn't have a special love for the game but it very well could have described my life at the time.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Mine's the answer to life, the universe, and everything ;).  (It's from The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  An alien race built a super-computer to find the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything.  After seven-and-a-half million years of computing, the computer, Deep Thought, spits out the answer: 42.  This naturally rather confused the alien race.  Deep Thought said that they now needed to find the *question* that would make the answer comprehensible.  It wasn't able to do that itself, but it was able to design the computer that could.  That computer works on finding the Great Question of life, the universe, and everything, to which 42 is the answer, for ten million years, but five minutes before it completes its calculations, the computer is eminent domain'd and destroyed.  Oops.)

42 is also a great domino game, which I played a lot at the time I'd first started using it.

I picked it when I needed a camp counselor nickname when I was 19, and have used it online ever since.  (I'm now approaching the time when my age is going to match my username.  When I was in my 20s, it was funny when people assumed my username reflected my age.  Now that my username is getting close to *actually* reflecting my age, it's a little disconcerting, actually.)

ETA: My avatar has nothing to do with my username.  It's my favorite illustration from Beatrix Potter, from "A Tale of Miss Moppet" (now in the public domain).  The expression on her face when she opens up the handkerchief to find the mouse she'd trapped in it had escaped without her noticing - it just cracks me up every time.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 14

My first forum (a decade ago) was a cake baking forum. I'm no good at choosing user names...and alisonbakes was taken...so boom: alisoncooks. Interestingly enough, I am not a great cook. Or even a good cook, haha.  (And many people assume that Cooks is my last name -- it's not, lol.)

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, hopeistheword said:

I’ll go first:

mine comes from a much-neglected blog, Hope Is the Word , which I named well over a decade ago from a paraphrased (?) quote from Les Miserables: “Hope is the Word God has written on the brow of every man.”  I saw the quote (before I ever read Les Mis) on something at a arts and crafts show.  It resonated with me and stuck with me. 

Next? 😊

I remember your blog.  🙂

I found the forum back in the day when there were page flips and you signed your name for each post (rather than signing in with it).  Several other Lynns were posting, so I thought it made sense to be Another Lynn.  And so I am til this day.  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 14

Mine was born of several things. I am a huge Stargate fan. I also love the quote " Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the puddles". Between the two, my user name and avatar came to be 😊The number is just there because there is another PJ in the membership.

Edited by PuddleJumper1
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, OKBud said:

I say, "OK, bud." a hundred times a day to my kids. I had to explain that a few years ago because someone here told me that all along they'd thought I was a marijuana enthusiast from Oklahoma 🤣.

I always read your name as “oak bud.” 😂😝. I love the real story! 

• Haha 1

Twofold:  I hope to become more and more like a "Tuesdays child",  full of grace; and, I'm the youngest of 9 children and was born on a Tuesday.   (Interesting how many people ask those born into a large family, "Which number are you?" 😋)

ETA: @Æthelthryth the Texan (snort n grin, even copying and pasting won't 'bring' up the blue thingy, like it does for Amy's) & @hopeistheword    it's a good prompt for me every time I see 😉 

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I wanted a username that was an actual name (sort of), but not my own (for privacy reasons).  I didn't want to use the name of anyone I know in real life, though.  I picked the name June, but that sounded too old.  Junie is kind of similar to one of my nicknames (the one my Grandma uses).

My avatar is a screenshot of my Mii from a Nintendo bowling game that I never play.  :)

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

The first few times I posted, on the old old board in 2003, I was firstname in thenstate.  But then I didn’t want to use my first name, and I don’t stay in any given location long enough to use it as part of my name, so I switched to an Arabic name I used in college while I was living in the Middle East.  It’s usually translated as “princess” but I prefer the translation “commander” or “general” instead, not that any of those three words fits me.  But I’ll stick with it since, the Arabic word for “introverted homebody” doesn’t work for a name.  My avatar is a design dh drew that I made into a quilt.

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

Our sailboat is a Morgan 41 Out Island, named S/V (for "sailing vessel") Sea Conquest. I am a huge USC football fan, so the letters on the front of the boat are arranged to look like the USC logo:

You can find her here, if anyone ever wants to come visit us:

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/california/hyatt-regency-mission-bay-spa-and-marina/sanis/photos-reviews

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 13

Back in the day when the board used to flip, a poster wrote that she made life decisions thinking, “What would Caroline Ingalls do?” So I thought it would be funny to answer her question as Caroline. It isn’t my real name nor my middle name. It was just me being funny in my head. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, forty-two said:

Mine's the answer to life, the universe, and everything ;).  (It's from The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  An alien race built a super-computer to find the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything.  After seven-and-a-half million years of computing, the computer, Deep Thought, spits out the answer: 42.  This naturally rather confused the alien race.  Deep Thought said that they now needed to find the *question* that would make the answer comprehensible.  It wasn't able to do that itself, but it was able to design the computer that could.  That computer works on finding the Great Question of life, the universe, and everything, to which 42 is the answer, for ten million years, but five minutes before it completes its calculations, the computer is eminent domain'd and destroyed.  Oops.)

42 is also a great domino game, which I played a lot at the time I'd first started using it.

I picked it when I needed a camp counselor nickname when I was 19, and have used it online ever since.  (I'm now approaching the time when my age is going to match my username.  When I was in my 20s, it was funny when people assumed my username reflected my age.  Now that my username is getting close to *actually* reflecting my age, it's a little disconcerting, actually.)

ETA: My avatar has nothing to do with my username.  It's my favorite illustration from Beatrix Potter, from "A Tale of Miss Moppet" (now in the public domain).  The expression on her face when she opens up the handkerchief to find the mouse she'd trapped in it had escaped without her noticing - it just cracks me up every time.

I loved the year I was 42.  I was the answer to everything.  😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, OKBud said:

I say, "OK, bud." a hundred times a day to my kids. I had to explain that a few years ago because someone here told me that all along they'd thought I was a marijuana enthusiast from Oklahoma 🤣.

Of course even the story of your username is hilarious 🙂

• Like 2

@happi duck

A present for you.  I took this picture at my state's farm show a few years ago.  A bunch of little ducklings were all swimming around in a tub of water, and they'd made a slide for the ducks.  The ducks would waddle up one side of the slide and then slide down.  It was so adorable, I think about 50 people passed out from the sheer cuteness of it.  This guy in his blue hoodie came along to feed them and he had to take them out of their water and put them in another bin with their food.

25348829_10210569482620053_1339335493446166826_n.jpg

Edited by Garga
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1