Menu

Let’s play a round of “this is what my username means”

Kidlit

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Nope, pronounciation is

ray-gan-troo-deh with a hard g as in "go" 

In German, the letter e makes an "ay" or "eh" sound, never "ee"

And I had always read it as Regent Rude as in the ruler of rudeness ... it seemed an odd name choice but ya know - each to their own 😂

good to know I’ve been wrong all these years 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Nope, pronounciation is

Awww, interesting! I don’t know any German pnonunciation rules. (Well, I guess now I know one!) 

I’ll probably say it the same way in my head, though. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 9:12 AM, hopeistheword said:

I’ll go first:

mine comes from a much-neglected blog, Hope Is the Word , which I named well over a decade ago from a paraphrased (?) quote from Les Miserables: “Hope is the Word God has written on the brow of every man.”  I saw the quote (before I ever read Les Mis) on something at a arts and crafts show.  It resonated with me and stuck with me. 

Next? 😊

I love the meaning behind that.  Because really, hope is the word behind absolutely everything, isn't it?  (Also, see my siggy...  :))  (Also, I love Les Mis, but never picked up on that quote.)

• Like 2

My username here started out as a play on my name...  which eventually changed for privacy.  "Rap" still has a a phonemic connection, and the meaning evokes something rhythmic yet pushing ahead, and I liked that.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Quill said:

I’m actually really glad to know this, too. I pronounce it in my head with a long e, like REE-jen-trood. I assumed it had the root of Reg-, like for royalty. 

9 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

@regentrude is definitely one of the names I've been most curious about!  I also pronounce it with the long E sound at the beginning. 

9 hours ago, regentrude said:

Regentrude is a fairy tale by the German author Theodor Storm. 

"The Germanic pagan deity, 'The Rainmaiden' has fallen asleep, causing widespread drought and poverty. A young couple, Andreas and Maren must trick an old goblin into leading them to the magic garden of 'The Rainmaiden' and wake her up."

9 hours ago, regentrude said:

Nope, pronounciation is

I always did it with a long E but a hard G. I'm glad to now know the real way to say it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J-rap said:

I love the meaning behind that.  Because really, hope is the word behind absolutely everything, isn't it?  (Also, see my siggy...  :))  (Also, I love Les Mis, but never picked up on that quote.)

1. I read the quote before I read the book, and after I named my blog that, I couldn’t find the actual quote (in the book) anywhere.  I’m guessing it’s a paraphrase from some particular translation. Nevertheless, it’s a wonderful sentiment, yes. 

2. I can’t see signature lines.  Should I be able to? I’m on my phone but I can’t see them on my laptop, either. 

8 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

2. I can’t see signature lines.  Should I be able to? I’m on my phone but I can’t see them on my laptop, either. 

Not on the phone but you can see on your laptop and tablet if your see signature is turned on. It is under Account -> Setting -> Signature (see photo below)

E6F54D50-8162-4F9E-80E0-343D6F05CB28.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Not on the phone but you can see on your laptop and tablet if your see signature is turned on. It is under Account -> Setting -> Signature (see photo below)

E6F54D50-8162-4F9E-80E0-343D6F05CB28.jpeg

Thank you! I should probably check my own siggy. 😂

We were still living in Venezuela when I started posting on these boards. At first I used my real name but eventually most people started picking screen names as the Internet developed and I went with the truly very uncreative chiguirre. I literally picked the most emblematic Venezuelan animal that isn't downright ugly (apologies to the rabipelado). Back in the day, my avatar was the cover picture of Capyboppy but, like Garga, I had to switch to a web commons picture and voila...

• Like 6

On 3/3/2019 at 3:24 PM, dirty ethel rackham said:

Way back when, there were a couple new Ellens posting and I was getting confused as to which posts were mine.  In honor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day", I found my pirate name on a pirate name generator.  And I liked the idea of a saltier, buxom alter-ego.  

I've always wondered about your user name 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 6:50 PM, ***** said:

I find it isn’t easy picking a username.  I feel like it can be taken as a reflection of who I am... but maybe I was overthinking that idea.

I thought of something with rainbows…but then people might think I was trying to make a statement about inclusiveness…no, I just like rainbows.   I wanted something lavender, but I think there was someone here with that name.   So, I go with nothing, sorry guys!  I have probably been prejudged anyway, thinking I am a lurker or being overprotective by staying anonymous…well, I was just not very creative or decisive at the time!

I thought it was clever:  It could read as you being a 5 star _____________  (insert anything you like in there)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My current avatar was drawn by DS14 and he was in a drawing Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli) mood. My previous avatars were also drawn by DS14.

I was going to ask about your avatar but didn't want to derail the thread - so pleased you came back to share!

• Like 1

Another self-explanatory oh-so-creative (not!) user name, here. LOL.

However, my avatar was our wonderful flat-coat retriever, our second dog and a Humane Society rescue. That dog was sheer genius at ball retrieving or water-retrieving a stick -- for hours at a time! He would put the ball right in your hand, or dispense it from 8-10 feet away and it would roll and land right at your foot. I still can see him during the years we hosted Youth & Gov't meetings at our house -- a living room packed with kids doing formal bill debate practice, and they would toss his indoor retrieving toy for him and none of them missed a beat, lol.

He was was the gentlest, sweetest dog I've ever known, and I love this picture of him with DH's reading glasses on. Years back, someone else on this board said that when they read my posts, they pictured his paws on the keyboard typing up my responses for me. I love that! He went to on to run in the fields of heaven 2.5 years ago, but lives on as my avatar, and forever in my heart.

Our new 4-pawed family member is a Golden Retriever (3/4) + Lab (1/4) mix, a "career change" from Guide Dogs for the Blind. Sweet princess!

dog 1.jpg

dog 2.jpg

• Like 14

On 3/2/2019 at 11:05 AM, OKBud said:

I say, "OK, bud." a hundred times a day to my kids. I had to explain that a few years ago because someone here told me that all along they'd thought I was a marijuana enthusiast from Oklahoma 🤣.

I am so excited to hear about your name origin! It is the one I have wondered about the most 😂

• Like 1

When I set up my yahoo way back when, everything I tried was taken, so out of sheer frustration I entered my (now maiden) name backwards, and have used it ever since.  But then on another board someone figured out my name, so I shortened it to just ikslo. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m Polish.

My avatar is my son’s first self-portrait.  It’s not me. 😉

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, regentrude said:

Nope, pronounciation is

I know several "Trude"(s) in Europe, knew how to pronounce it and thought it might be your actual name.  🙂  But the "Rejentrood" pronunciation by moonflower made be grin.  I like the way it rolls off the tongue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So...it would take a long time explaining the origin of my username because - as y'all know - I am super creative. I will pass on the lengthy explanation and tell you to just focus on the avatar - one of the best dogs God ever made.  🙂

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2019 at 11:08 AM, lavender's green said:

Mine is from the English folk song Lavender's Blue, or Lavender's Green. I grew up on the Burl Ives version (though there are many, many versions, some cheekier than others). I always wanted a marriage like that and I did indeed get married in a lavender dress, and we treat each other like a king and queen. You can find it on youtube. 

I sing it to my kids all the time, but with the lyrics they used in the 2015 Cinderella.

FTR, when I was googling I came across a homeschool blog called Lavender's Blue. That isn't me; no relation.

Burl Ives sings this song in "So Dear to My Heart," a funny movie. I wondered if this is where you got it.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 10:10 AM, moonflower said:

I was originally ananemone, and there's a long story behind that that maybe I've actually lost.  Then I was briefly eternalsummer, which was just the brand name of a label I was making at the time (we make fabric labels) when I changed it from ananemone.  Then I lost my account in the forum shift and moonflower is the name of a font I was using to make a label when I signed up again.  I do a lot of posting/reading while I work.

My avatar is a graphic I purchased the limited rights to on Etsy and use to make labels.

Eternalsummer, It's YOU!!!!!  🙂 🙂 

• Like 4

My user name is an Arabic kunya.  Um or Umm=Mother of   Sami=My first born

If I was a boy, I'd be Abu Sami (Father of Sami)

In traditional Arabic naming your name is  First Name, Dad's Name, Grandfather's Name, Great-Grandfather's Name, etc.   You may also be  First Name bin/bint Dad's Name   So.... Jane Bint Michael  is Jane daughter of Michael.    Michael bin or ibn  Thomas   is Michael, son of Thomas.

BTW, in the Bible, when Jesus is called Jesus son of Mary.... that's a major insult, as it implies he's illegitimate and has no father. 

Edited by umsami
  • Like 5

Made up my name in 2008 for an online game. I wanted a call sign that sounded mysterious, and evoked someone who could fight well and take care of herself (Hawk)  but had a feminine bent (Moon). My previous screen name for pretty much everything up to that point was UFO Kermit (made when AOL had a 10-character limit, oh those were the days!) and everyone always assumed I was male, which caused some awkward chats. So, I wanted to definitely avoid that, and Moon seemed to do the trick. I have one other name online now, but most places I stick to Moonhawk, or Moonhaawk. 

My avatar is a photo I took of a rare book from the 1400s, a versal M, and it made me happy. There was also a gorgeous E, which would be my real name's initial, but I thought that would confusing. All of the little grey lines on the right side are lines of text, the M is fairly large in real life. 

• Like 4

Long ago, probably 20 years, I was a member of a discussion forum, the name of which I no longer remember, because old. We were goofing off one day and giving each other Southern-sounding names, like Carrie Sue Marie and Sally Betty Jane, and someone called me Ellie Mae June. So elliemaejune has become my user name (not here; here, I'm just...me).

Also, as far as my avatar, guess what my favorite place is in the whole wide world?

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Burl Ives sings this song in "So Dear to My Heart," a funny movie. I wondered if this is where you got it.

Yes, I got it from a cassette tape of old Disney songs. Never saw the movie, though. I had always wanted to know what it was from, but it was pre-internet and no adults knew. When I was an adult and wanted to sing it to my baby I was able to look it up.

Edited by lavender's green
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lavender's green said:

Yes, I got it from a cassette tape of old Disney songs. Never saw the movie, though. I had always wanted to know what it was from, but it was pre-internet and no adults knew. When I was an adult and wanted to sing it to my baby I was able to look it up.

Pretty sure I had that same tape growing up! That's the only place I've ever heard this song. I wore that little cassette out!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, umsami said:

My user name is an Arabic kunya.  Um or Umm=Mother of   Sami=My first born

If I was a boy, I'd be Abu Sami (Father of Sami)

In traditional Arabic naming your name is  First Name, Dad's Name, Grandfather's Name, Great-Grandfather's Name, etc.   You may also be  First Name bin/bint Dad's Name   So.... Jane Bint Michael  is Jane daughter of Michael.    Michael bin or ibn  Thomas   is Michael, son of Thomas.

BTW, in the Bible, when Jesus is called Jesus son of Mary.... that's a major insult, as it implies he's illegitimate and has no father. 

Thanks for the insight!

Mine is boring.  It was completely random.  I used to go by starrbuck12 - a long time ago and that was the name of my cat, but my cat died...so I sadly changed my username.  

I go by Coffee Break (which is actually much more fitting) on 2 other homeschool forums, but there used to be a coffee break on this forum, so I never used that name on here.  I could probably change it now, because I think the other coffee break is gone.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back to visiting again due to contact I found today from a friend.  Guess which thread caught my eye?  😉

Creekland is the name of our pony farm.  We've cut down a lot since my farm hands lads moved out, but we still have 6 after just selling a yearling today.  At our high point we had 28.

My avatar comes from our passion... we also just returned from a trip with med school lad to the Dominican Republic over his spring break - found a nice AirBnB in Bayahibe so were able to do things, but avoid the resorts, etc.  Fun stuff Creekland style.

Yes, the lad still juggles.  He showed me some juggling rat traps and chainsaws he'd love to add to his knives and fire torches... His birthday is coming.  We'll see.  He's also doing extremely well in med school, so never let anyone tell you homeschoolers can't get there just in case anyone still believes that sort of thing.

In general my lads are finished with college now - youngest is even getting married this June.  Oldest is already married.  Time flies.  Enjoy the journey with your kids!

• Like 8

On 3/2/2019 at 2:24 PM, Amira said:

The first few times I posted, on the old old board in 2003, I was firstname in thenstate.  But then I didn’t want to use my first name, and I don’t stay in any given location long enough to use it as part of my name, so I switched to an Arabic name I used in college while I was living in the Middle East.  It’s usually translated as “princess” but I prefer the translation “commander” or “general” instead, not that any of those three words fits me.  But I’ll stick with it since, the Arabic word for “introverted homebody” doesn’t work for a name.  My avatar is a design dh drew that I made into a quilt.

I’m curious, were you ever AmiraLace?  For some reason I often think of that when I see your name.  Could be I’m crazy, but I thought I would be brave and check. 😊

Edited by SpecialClassical

3 minutes ago, SpecialClassical said:

I’m curious, where you ever AmiraLace?  For some reason I often think of that when I see your name.  Could be I’m crazy, but I thought I would be brave and check. 😊

Yes, and that’s what my blog is still attached to.  I’m surprised someone remembered!

• Like 1

I've always wanted to name our house, but we've moved quite a bit, so I just name every house, Shiloh. It means 'place of peace' and it's my goal, not necessarily my reality. It also has a twist of irony since we have a huge family and the houses we buy are often complete wrecks which we restore, so it's rarely peaceful. 

• Like 1