Menu

What's with the ads?

ByGrace3

Biology: Any experiences with Red Wagon Tutorial or MPOA?

I had planned to sign up dd for BB online Biology, but Dr. Wile is not offering Biology this year unfortunately. His staff recommended Red Wagon tutorials, and I am also looking at Memoria Press Online Biology. Any experiences with either? MP has two teachers listed -- Kristin Peterson and Jennifer Lovell. I would love any feedback for any of these or other great Christian biology options.

Edited by ByGrace3

5 minutes ago, klmama said:

You may want to read prior threads about Red Wagon.

I tried searching and could not find anything....

Try entering "Red Wagon Tutorials" in quotation marks in the search box.  You should get some hits with threads, some of which have links to earlier ones.  

• Like 1

ok I finally found reviews of Red Wagon . . . not sure why they were not showing up before when I searched . . . does not look like that will be a good fit for my sensitive dd. Also, it looks like MP uses a secular text for Biology...anyone know how that works with MP being a Christian provider? I am looking for a Christian Worldview for Biology. 

If you wanted to use Wile's Apologia text, you might take a look at the free, at-your-own-pace (AYOP) biology with virtualhomeschoolgroup.  The instructor on the voice threads is very positive and has a gentle demeanor.  You can use the online instruction before or after reading the text.  There are online practice quizzes and exams (multiple multiple choice), but you can use the in-text reviews and the tests that come with the text to verify your dc's understanding without the multiple choice.  You have to do the labs yourself. There's also a live class option but I understand that can be hard to get into unless you are volunteering with the organization somehow to qualify for early enrollment. 

Edited by klmama
Typos
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, klmama said:

If you wanted to use Wile's Apologia text, you might take a look at the free, at-your-own-pace (AYOP) biology with virtualhomeschoolgroup.  The instructor on the voice threads is very positive and has a gentle demeanor.  You can use the online instruction before or after reading the text.  There are online practice quizzes and exams (multiple multiple choice), but you can use the in-text reviews and the tests that come with the text to verify your dc's understanding without the multiple choice.  You have to do the labs yourself. There's also a live class option but I understand that can be hard to get into unless you are volunteering with the organization somehow to qualify for early enrollment. 

Thank you. I would very much prefer to have Biology outsourced next year. We have decided to split her classes live/self-paced/and mom taught. Biology in not a strength of mine, and I would like the accountability of someone else grading her work, especially labs.  

2 hours ago, Nam2001 said:

I’m assuming you’ve already looked at Schole and WHA? 

Yes. Schole time does not work for us, and WHA's Biology is designed to be taken later in high school as an advanced biology from what I have gathered . . . 

3 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

Yes. Schole time does not work for us, and WHA's Biology is designed to be taken later in high school as an advanced biology from what I have gathered . . . 

Gotcha. I’ve been so pleased with Schole that I’m inclined to do as much from them as I can when outsourcing is necessary. I didn’t realize they even had science until today. Good to know for the future! 

1 minute ago, Nam2001 said:

Gotcha. I’ve been so pleased with Schole that I’m inclined to do as much from them as I can when outsourcing is necessary. I didn’t realize they even had science until today. Good to know for the future! 

Yes, we LOVE Schole, and dd is taking DoD there next year. They would be my go to if the time worked out. Unfortunately 2-3:15 when my kids play after school sports doesn't work for us. 😞

• Sad 1

MPOA's class teaches the complete Holt textbook including evolution but with the occasional comment about how wonderfully God works through evolution. Trinqueta had Kristin Peterson who is a very good teacher. In general, MPOA is a Christian school but it doesn't have a fundamentalist statement of faith. They're more like a Catholic or Episcopal school than a BJU or Abeka school.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, chiguirre said:

MPOA's class teaches the complete Holt textbook including evolution but with the occasional comment about how wonderfully God works through evolution. Trinqueta had Kristin Peterson who is a very good teacher. In general, MPOA is a Christian school but it doesn't have a fundamentalist statement of faith. They're more like a Catholic or Episcopal school than a BJU or Abeka school.

Thank you. This is very helpful...I guess we are back to the drawing board . . . .I definitely want evolution taught but we are YE . . . 

Any experiences with Veritas? There are several sessions open there, but I am not familiar with any of the teachers. 

You might want to take a look at Excelsior Academy.

https://excelsiorclasses.com/courses/

They're a bunch of ex Landry Academy teachers. Debbie Stokes is the instructor and she got consistently good reviews when she was with Landry. They use Science Shepherd. I know that Landry's bio was definitely YE so it's likely that Excelsior is too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

You might want to take a look at Excelsior Academy.

https://excelsiorclasses.com/courses/

They're a bunch of ex Landry Academy teachers. Debbie Stokes is the instructor and she got consistently good reviews when she was with Landry. They use Science Shepherd. I know that Landry's bio was definitely YE so it's likely that Excelsior is too.

Thank you! I will look into it. At a glance it does look like the time would work . . . oh Landry . . . we lost so much money in that debacle. ugh. 

OP, I hope you find something that works for you, and it sounds like Excelsior Classes might. But I wanted to mention for anyone else who is reading, while Mrs. Stokes at Excelsior Classes does use Science Shepherd for her high school biology course, the other Excelsior Classes science courses, at least at the high school level, do not use the Science Shepherd curriculum. Just wanted to mention that since it was referenced in an earlier post. My son is taking chemistry and anatomy & physiology, and both use secular texts. Some of their other high school science courses appear to use OpenStax (free online digital, or low-cost in print) textbooks. 

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TarynB said:

OP, I hope you find something that works for you, and it sounds like Excelsior Classes might. But I wanted to mention for anyone else who is reading, while Mrs. Stokes at Excelsior Classes does use Science Shepherd for her high school biology course, the other Excelsior Classes science courses, at least at the high school level, do not use the Science Shepherd curriculum. Just wanted to mention that since it was referenced in an earlier post. My son is taking chemistry and anatomy & physiology, and both use secular texts. Some of their other high school science courses appear to use OpenStax (free online digital, or low-cost in print) textbooks. 

Thank  you so much for letting me know! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

I was looking at Dive Science. I don't know much about it but it seems to be from a Christian worldview. They have Biology and is self paced.

https://diveintomath.com/self-paced-elearning-course-for-dive-biology/

This is my back up if I can't find a live class, but my dd has requested to do it live . . . .if I can find one! 

• Like 1

Not live, but to add to your back-up options, Science Shepherd has a streaming video course now. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Not live, but to add to your back-up options, Science Shepherd has a streaming video course now. 

Thanks! That could definitely be an option  . . . 

Here's a few more of the "schools" that I check when looking for classes.  I've used the first two personally.

Big River Academy

My Fun Science

Open Tent Academy

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 10:23 AM, ByGrace3 said:

I had planned to sign up dd for BB online Biology, but Dr. Wile is not offering Biology this year unfortunately. His staff recommended Red Wagon tutorials, and I am also looking at Memoria Press Online Biology. Any experiences with either? MP has two teachers listed -- Kristin Peterson and Jennifer Lovell. I would love any feedback for any of these or other great Christian biology options.

My daughter has been taking classes in the MPOA for a number of years, and has had Mrs Peterson for 2 classes. (Middle School Science I and II) We're signed up with her for Physical Science in the fall. 

I would highly recommend her, without hesitation.

If you hop over to the class preview section, you can watch Middle School Science II, to get a feel for her style and how she runs the classroom, etc. She loves her topic, engages the children, keeps a good eye on the chat box, etc. She's a homeschooling momma herself, so she's been really good about answering my questions about science paths for my student, etc. 

I have found that College Prep Science and Big River Academy have Biology times that will work for us. Anyone have any opinions on those? 

8 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

I have found that College Prep Science and Big River Academy have Biology times that will work for us. Anyone have any opinions on those? 

College Prep Science is run by Landry.

That's all I will say about that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Indeed.

Beware. 

12 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Yes. Thank you. I did know that. In fact, I have unused Landry credits that Greg Landry allows you to use towards the class so it is is the most cost effective option for us. I decided to try it. I respect the fact that at least he is trying to make it right for those who lost money . . . as we did. 

• Like 2