Menu

9 minutes ago, MerryAtHope said:

I used it with both of my kids and definitely liked it. Essentials in writing worked really well for my kids, and I used levels 7 through 11 with them. The grading service wasn’t out yet when I used it though, sorry I can’t help with that part!

Thanks for your thoughts. The grading service is so inexpensive, I guess it can’t hurt 😊 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nam2001 said:

Thanks for your thoughts. The grading service is so inexpensive, I guess it can’t hurt 😊 

I used the grading service with Level 12, and I was willing to give it a try for the price, too.  Anyhow, I thought it was well worth it.   The feedback was good and not overwhelming and tended to make points in a positive way.  If you want a lot of copious notes for editing a paper, this service would not be what you want.  You essentially get one review per paper, so you want to make sure the paper is as polished as possible before you turn it in.  I think this service really helped my son.  A lot of emphasis was put on thesis statements and restating them, as well as things like paragraph organization.  The recent review sheet from my son's English 2 class at the community college gave him positive feedback about his thesis statement and restatement, and I credit that to EIW.

Editing:  We've used EIW 11 and EIW 12.  We did not use the grading service with 11.

Edited by Serenade

9 minutes ago, Serenade said:

I used the grading service with Level 12, and I was willing to give it a try for the price, too.  Anyhow, I thought it was well worth it.   The feedback was good and not overwhelming and tended to make points in a positive way.  If you want a lot of copious notes for editing a paper, this service would not be what you want.  You essentially get one review per paper, so you want to make sure the paper is as polished as possible before you turn it in.  I think this service really helped my son.  A lot of emphasis was put on thesis statements and restating them, as well as things like paragraph organization.  The recent review sheet from my son's English 2 class at the community college gave him positive feedback about his thesis statement and restatement, and I credit that to EIW.

Editing:  We've used EIW 11 and EIW 12.  We did not use the grading service with 11.

Thanks so much for this review! 

We used EIW 9 with grading service.  The grading service was exactly what my son needed .... an outside grader to be accountable to who gave good feedback. It was worth the price.  The only really complaint was that you have to pick from the lesson prompts for the grading service.  We like to use our own prompts.  We did not continue EIW for 10th grade because my son wanted to do ByLine... he is a history buff.  

4 minutes ago, GeoKitty said:

We used EIW 9 with grading service.  The grading service was exactly what my son needed .... an outside grader to be accountable to who gave good feedback. It was worth the price.  The only really complaint was that you have to pick from the lesson prompts for the grading service.  We like to use our own prompts.  We did not continue EIW for 10th grade because my son wanted to do ByLine... he is a history buff.  

Thank you! This is helpful! 

• Like 1

I used EIW for 5th and 7th grades, and it's back to my top pick for my 9th grader, but I was going to use the 10th grade book.   I've been looking, but so far it's the best one I can find!  I was not planning to use the grading service, but my DD is a good writer.

Byline is my second choice 😉  I would love to hear a review of it b'c it's so new!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I used EIW for 5th and 7th grades, and it's back to my top pick for my 9th grader, but I was going to use the 10th grade book.   I've been looking, but so far it's the best one I can find!  I was not planning to use the grading service, but my DD is a good writer.

Byline is my second choice 😉  I would love to hear a review of it b'c it's so new!

My son loves ByLine.  He thinks the teacher is really funny. He likes all the readings and assignments.  However, his writing has improved so very much this past year, that he doesn’t need the incremental steps (not as incremental as EIW ).  So he watches the three videos at the beginning of the week.  Then does the assignments.  It will take us the whole year because we are pairing it with Essentials in literature 10.  ByLine is a lot of work.  Or maybe it seems that way because my kid is a very s l o w worker.  

That being said, we stopped using the extra journal.  We did use the extra journal when we did Cover story.   And my 8th grade DD was supposed to do ByLine with him. The first week I knew it was a bad fit.  She didn’t appreciate the corny humor.  Or the premise of using history for chronojournalism.  She does not like history. Making her do ByLine would have been torturous in her mind.  Instead, she is researching and writing, more of a writing across the curriculum approach.  Her current essay is about the benefits of GMOs.  That’s my science kid. 

• Thanks 1