Menu

March Frugalistas

Baseball mom

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How did the month end up for everyone?

$500 out of $800 for grocery

Dh's raise took effect and it is better than I estimated.  So that was a nice surprise.

We haven't spent any money on summer plans or travel yet.   

Nice on the grocery budget!  And yay on the raise!  Do you guys have specific plans for that extra money?

For us:
We managed to throw an extra $1K at the mortgage instead of the amount we anticipated.  It was a good feeling.  I started making out my budget for schoolbooks since there's a used curriculum sale coming up and I'd like a final list sooner rather than later.  After scrounging my shelves for supplies we already have, it looks like I'll be spending about $200 if I buy the rest new.  I have math, science, history, reading, and handwriting in full.  I need spelling, language arts, and French, plus an art book I have my eye on.  On the flip side dh is going to training this month and found out yesterday that the attire for the class is different from his normal work clothing.  He'll be getting a few pairs of pants we hadn't quite budgeted for.  If I have time this week I'll drive out to the outlets to see if they have anything his size otherwise we'll have to pay full price. 

• Like 1

March was expensive, but controlled if that makes sense.  No mindless or unnecessary spending, just a lot of kid expenses.  Groceries were high, but my monthly average is still only ~$675.  April should be lower as we try to eat everything on hand before vacation.

A frugal funny:

Me, to DH, who was wearing one of his old conference freebie t-shirts: “That shirt makes your arms look really buff.  Like you’ve been lifting weights.”

DH: “Why are you buttering me up?  What do you not want to spend money on now?”

He knows me so well, lol.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Nice on the grocery budget!  And yay on the raise!  Do you guys have specific plans for that extra money?

For us:
We managed to throw an extra $1K at the mortgage instead of the amount we anticipated.  It was a good feeling.  I started making out my budget for schoolbooks since there's a used curriculum sale coming up and I'd like a final list sooner rather than later.  After scrounging my shelves for supplies we already have, it looks like I'll be spending about $200 if I buy the rest new.  I have math, science, history, reading, and handwriting in full.  I need spelling, language arts, and French, plus an art book I have my eye on.  On the flip side dh is going to training this month and found out yesterday that the attire for the class is different from his normal work clothing.  He'll be getting a few pairs of pants we hadn't quite budgeted for.  If I have time this week I'll drive out to the outlets to see if they have anything his size otherwise we'll have to pay full price. 

We haven't talked about what to do with the $$ from the raise.  We should.  Maybe this weekend. 

Ha the grocery savings didn't happen on purpose.  We just got lazy and stopped going to the store.  We actually would be fine for a while longer, but dh is going shopping today.   Lots in the pantry, the freezer is half filled.   We are back to all the kid activities so we need portable food for meals.