Menu

Kids and sewing machines - which one to get

reggid

Long story short. My DS - who is 6 y.o. - is learning to sew and I thought that it would be a good idea to get him a simplistic sewing machine. But here comes the problem: we started learning with my old machine which is way too complicated to handle, so now we are looking for a basic one.
I'd like to spend no more than $500. I think a mechanical machine would be better than a computerized one because they are simpler and have easier repairs. We don't need fancy stitches or extra functions since we just learning. I have some options in mind like Janome HD3000, but that's a heavy duty machine so even though it seems to be more practical solution to me, it might be just an overkill... or not?
Just wanted to add that I don't like the idea of getting him a used serious one. I've been there, my previous one I got from the flea market was such a pain to repair 😳

Also I came across some reviews covering so-called sewing machines for kids. But that's not clear to me - if they're really adapted for younger sewing enthusiasts or just have childish design. Have you ever had any experience with them?
And if you have any tips and tricks or any interesting tutorials for young sewists - feel free to share.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Edited by reggid
added some preferences

I've been looking at sewing machines for my 9yo daughter and I too want a good but basic machine for her. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices:

(1) Brother XM2701 - about $86 on Amazon and it's got great reviews. I found it helpful to scroll through the questions/answers and to look through the reviews. I also looked at it on the BrotherUSA website.  https://www.amazon.com/Brother-XM2701-Lightweight-Buttonholer-Instructional/dp/B00JBKVN8S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2JH9B1W6NN8C3&keywords=brother+2701+sewing+machine&qid=1551448529&s=gateway&sprefix=brother+2701%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-3

(2) BabyLock Zest - $149 at our local quilting store although I see it on websites for $99. My daughter would be given a couple of solo classes on how to use the machine and that's a bonus. Also - she'll be taking kids classes at this quilting store and it would be helpful that she'd have the machine that they have and are familiar with. https://babylock.com/machines/sewing/zest

Both seem very portable which is a priority for me. And I don't think we could go wrong with either machine although I'm most likely going with the BabyLock.

Good luck!!! If you can, see if you can find the machines you're interested in to look at locally. Seeing them in person helps me.

• Like 1

Another option is to go to your local sewing machine store, and get a refurbished one.
I love my Pfaff mechanical--it's a 20 year old machine that still works great.  $150 or so.
(Personally, I would only spend $200 max, regardless.)

You may also want to get some Finger Guards, to keep him from accidentally stabbing himself with the needle.

One easy first project is to make a pillowcase with his favorite character on it (find officially licensed fabric, which is widely available).
A lot of sewing is mental ~ planning, measuring, etc. 
You tube is your friend.  🙂

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

I have heard good things about the Janome children’s machine. In addition to the Hello Kitty version, it’s available in a variety of colors. Our AC Moore had them over Christmas, not sure if they still have them or not. With their coupons, it might be worth looking into. 

• Like 1

I have a Brother machine similar to the one linked above - I think it's maybe the next level up in terms of cost/quality. It's fine. I've always heard children's machines are terrible and all the ones I've ever helped fix at someone's house have been utter junk. I'd get a "real" machine. They're really not much more complex.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Also, just note- much like giving A Mouse a Cookie.........If You Give a Boy a Sewing Machine........pretty soon he's going to want a 3D printer to go with it. 😁

At least that has been my experience- maybe that is unique to superhero suits. 🙂

I would LOVE a 3D printer.  We have cos-players here.

OP, if you're willing to spend up to $500, stay away from "children's" machines.  Many of them are built cheap, and they are unreliable and fussy.  They have problems that frustrate new sewers of all ages, and may just make your ds want to stop sewing.  Get a "real" machine that's simple and reliable, but also has room to "grow" with your child, as his skill set grows.  He may have use it well into adulthood.  You'd be better off with a used, refurbished good machine than you would with a new, cheap, "toy" machine  (Janome Hello Kitty may be an exception to my "no kid's machines" rule of thumb). Or buy a used machine and take it into a shop to have it tuned up.  Brother, Pfaff, Janome are all good brands.  Older Singers were good, but the new ones aren't.  Same with White.

I love my Janome New Home, model MyExcel 4123, which I bought when I was expecting my first (23 years ago) and all three of my kids learned to sew on.  It's super easy to thread, and to wind and change the bobbin.  The controls are easy to understand and use. It has about 23 stitches (straight, zig-zag, some stretch stitches, some functional (like a hem stitch), and a few decorative). You select your stitch by turning a mechanical knob.  It has an automatic buttonholer, which is a must-have.  It looks like this.  I still use it all the time, even to sew vinyl and thick layers of denim, and it does great.  I got my oldest a similar Janome when she moved out.  Her machine has all the same functions as mine, but it's "Heavy Duty".  It was an easy transition for her because she already knew how to use it.  

• Like 2

Janome has some machines in the $150-200 range that would be totally adequate for this. Do you have a store near you that sells them? And yes, if you can get an older, totally metal internals, that can be good too. I have a Bernina from the mid 80s that runs amazingly well. Are you thinking you want this for you as well or do you have your own machine?

The things I would be looking for when you sit down with it are:

-turtle speed or 1/2 speed button

-smooth start/stop with no growling

-metal internals, not plastic

You can get that at around $200 or keep going up as much as you want. 

Well good job on teaching him to sew! You should post/share projects you do with him! :)

Can you maybe score an old Singer, the black old old old ones that are all solid metal inside, from like the 1930s? 

I think they are around for under $100.  The thing about them is, they can go so slowly, and they just chug along totally reliably with a little oil now and then.  Get it cleaned and tuned up when you buy it, of course, and get new needles; but then you should be all set for quite a while.  No fancy stitches, but a nice basic solid machine.

I don't recommend spending much on a sewing machine for a beginner.  Repairs, requiring skilled labor, usually start at about $75, and many companies require you have certified tune up for your machine annually at that price to keep the warranty.  A professional seamstress friend and I start our kids out on this: https://www.amazon.com/Brother-XM2701-Lightweight-Buttonholer-Instructional/dp/B00JBKVN8S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=20M2M45P2SWV7&keywords=brother+sewing+machines&qid=1551475090&s=arts-crafts&sprefix=brother+%2Carts-crafts%2C188&sr=1-5

You can buy the sewing case separately at amazon also.

I wouldn't even spend $200 on a kid's machine.  I've sewn on cheap machine's my whole life.  I'm on my second one.  Maybe when this one dies I'll go high end, but 90% of the time I'm just doing a zig zag or straight stitch so it's all I ever needed.  Right now I'm sewing troupe costumes and it works perfectly.  My first machine was a Simplicity that was less than $100 in the early 90s and it lasted me about ten years.  I replaced it with a Denim and Silk Europro (also cheap) and it's been going strong for almost two decades.  It just works and I've never needed anything more.  Even my friend who sews professionally has an identical Europro and uses it as her "travel machine." 

I made my wedding dress, curtains, slip covers, clothes, and loads of costumes on these two machines for YEARS without frustration.  It's not like when you buy a cheap vacuum and hate your life.  They just work.  

• Like 1