Menu

Center for Lit vs WHA

mamafin08

Has anyone done WHA Lit 1 and Center for Lit? I need to figure out which one to do and we did Center for Lit this year and really like it but I wonder if having Lit class once a month and writing every week isn't enough? On one hand I like that it's less often but on the other I don't know if it's the best value(cost per class) I didn't know if anyone has done both? Early enrollment ends to night and I want to get the best deal for center for lit if we do that again! My son is 9 going to be 10 and will be in fifth grade next year. 

My oldest did Center for Lit when she was in 6th grade before starting the Great Conversation series at WHA. That was before CFL offered writing so I can’t comment on that. I haven’t used WHA for their grammar language arts so I can’t speak from experience there either. My oldest two have loved their GC courses and my oldest preferred it greatly to Center for Lit. Nobody is allowed to be a wall flower at WHA because you lose participation points. The conversations also tend to be more about ideas and less analysis of plot structure. The schools have very different vibes so I can see different kids having different opinions. If your child is enjoying Center for Lit, I would be inclined to stick with it. You can always jump into WHA in a year or two. If however, you think your child needs more assignments, WHA will likely fit that bill. The grammar teachers have described a very Charlotte Mason inspired curriculum with dictation, poetry memorization as well as Shurley style grammar. I think it depends on what you are looking for. I hope this helps.