Menu

Growing pains advice needed...

We were having dinner at a friend's house tonight, and my 7yo ds came to me crying that his leg hurt and the other was achy but not as bad as the one that hurt. He has been complaining periodically that his legs are "too wiggly" at night for him to get to sleep (I'd say once every two weeks or so). Our friends happen to be a general internist and RN couple so they both checked him out and diagnosed growing pains (probably mild shin splints just below the growth plates of his upper legs) given his current symptoms and the complaint of "wiggly legs" on previous occasions. They both recommended light massage, Tylenol, ice (if he was awake when we got home, he wasn't) and if it still bothers him in the morning, take him to the doctor to make sure he didn't pull something or if there was something they missed (no broken bones detected). The MD said if it was growing pains/ shin splints, it would come back occasionally at night but our ds would appear fine during the day although if shin splints it may flare up with a lot of physical activity. He also said that this level of pain would probably be what ds would feel each time it flared up.

All this to say, has anyone BTDT? None of my other kids have had it to this extreme. They have all had some achiness, but that is all. He was out-and-out bawling from the pain (which the MD said was relatively common) and it just broke my heart. (My ds was also over-tired; he actually said that he was more tired than hurting.) Would you recommend massaging his legs every night before he went to bed whether he had pain or not? Any other tips from what helped your kids?

I also just need to know that "this too shall pass" and that he'll grow out of it. (Assuming he wakes up feeling fine.)

Thanks for listening and for any suggestions.

Calcium - my ds(now 10) had really bad growing pains just like what you are describing. I put him on calcium (he likes "Calcium Gummy Bears" by Lil' Critters). It took about a week (I think) but they did go away. Recently I got out of the habit of giving him his calcium - he started to complain again. So it is back in our routine! (BTW, I was surprised our pediatrician didn't recommend it but he just recommended the massage, tylenol route too). This is much better!

Oh I remember how badly those hurt. As often I got them you would have thought I was growing by leaps and bounds but I was a runt that rarely grew. My mom did give me tylenol. It helps. Eventually they do go away. Ds seven was complaining the other night and treated his with tylenol and a massage as he fell asleep. once the discomfort goes away it is harder on you than him.

((()))

Melissa

Calcium - my ds(now 10) had really bad growing pains just like what you are describing. I put him on calcium (he likes "Calcium Gummy Bears" by Lil' Critters). It took about a week (I think) but they did go away. Recently I got out of the habit of giving him his calcium - he started to complain again. So it is back in our routine! (BTW, I was surprised our pediatrician didn't recommend it but he just recommended the massage, tylenol route too). This is much better!

This is good to know. Thanks Jean.

Melissa

DS9 has had them since he was 3 years old. They came almost 2 or 3 times a week when he was younger, now it is more like once a month or less. You can almost predict when they will happen - usually it's a busy day of intense physical activity. It usually wakes him up in the night, but occasionally he'll feel the beginnings of the pain as bedtime approaches.

I usually give him Tylenol and rub the troubled leg. This helps and the pain is typically gone in about 15 minutes.

It's so sad to see how much pain they are in, isn't it? I hope it will diminish in frequency like my DS's did.

And btw, if your son does sleepovers, you might want to pop a couple of Tylenols into his bag, just in case. We have a family we trade sleeping over with a lot, and when he gets with those boys he wears himself out in a really great way. But he is likely to get the pain on those nights, too. We keep two Tylenol meltaways in his suitcase, and he knows he can take them if he feels the pain coming on - this way he doesn't have to wake the host parents up or have us traipsing through the neighborhood at 3 a.m. :rolleyes:.

Same here. I can usually predict when 10yods is going to have leg pain (if I'm paying attention, and not too tired myself from the active day). Sometimes I'll notice him sort of limping around at bedtime (before he even notices anything is wrong). I'll just give him Tylenol when he goes to bed. If I don't think of it before bed, he'll inevitably cry out in pain at about 11:30. I just grab the Tylenol on the way downstairs to his room. He takes it, and I rub his leg until he settles down.

I've found that calcium works great. DD takes a tbsp of liquid calcium every night before bed. I think it also really helps to calm her down and sleep better too. If I miss for too many nights in a row she starts to complain of leg pain. Once, I start up again, the pain goes away. It's almost like her little calcium stores meter or something... :confused:

Yup, all my boys get (or have gotten) growing pains fairly badly and at times they seem quite frequent. We do just what your friends suggested. Tylenol and massage them. I might be more inclined to try a heating pad (or one of those microwavable rice bags) as opposed to ice.

Sometimes I have to massage their legs for a good ten minutes before the pain seems to be diminished. Our boys have had them to the point of tears several times. :(

I agree with the others. It's a sign of mineral deficiency. Calcium probably being the most important. Magnesium and Boron assist the Calcium.

AVOID CALCIUM CARBONATE. Get Calcium Citrate or a good mineral blend. If kid can take pills -Enzymatic Therapy makes "Kreb Cycle Chelates" which is a well absorbed blend. When my hair was falling out - doctor said take 2 a day for mineral deficiency - I have my hair back!