Menu

Can we ... (vent)

JIN MOUSA

... shake our fists at February together?

School has been like pulling teeth this week, and it's only Thursday morning.

Last Friday I called a surprise holiday, and we went to the movies. Today I let my kids have a pajama day (we don't do this too often, as we usually have errands, and it just makes it harder to get them to get dressed on other days), and they automatically assumed that meant no school. Now I've got whining about how *not fair* it is that they have to do school.

And it's so difficult, because I get it. I don't want to do school either. But I know how much we need to get done each school year, and if we keep dragging our feet and taking breaks when the weather's gross, then we're going to be stuck doing school when the weather's nice. 

*shakes fist*

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Plum Crazy said:

We were finally getting into a groove and my 11 and 13yo came down with a case of puberty. All of a sudden my sweet children are bickering with each other, expressing overly emotional reactions to small things, sleeping in late and then falling asleep during documentaries, eating heaps of food when not sleeping and having difficulty focusing. I've scaled back on about half of our planned work and decided it would be a good time to do some review of basic middle school skills to fill in gaps. I hope this was just a simultaneous growth spurt and they will get back to normal soon.

And if not, hibernation is a good option, no? 

Obviously, this is just hypothetical.

Oh, I hear ya!

I have the kid who flips his lid when we are off routine.  Thanks to holidays and weather and a growth spurt this month, it has been a roller coaster.  We got outside today and had a snowball fight which had a nice effect on us all, but the days where it's just dreary and rainy...blech.  School has been a pill no matter what I do.

Here's to spring and some nice lessons outside.  And field trips.  And park days.  And nature study.  Anything to get that Vitamin D and start feeling normal again.

Oh, man, I hear ya.  I'm so glad February is almost done.  DD had wisdom teeth removed the first week of Feb., and what "they" said was only a two or three day recovery (lies!), turned into a full week, followed by an infection, which added another week and a half.  So we basically threw in the towel for three weeks of February.  I need me some March and some sunshine.

50 minutes ago, JIN MOUSA said:

... shake our fists at February together?

School has been like pulling teeth this week, and it's only Thursday morning.

Last Friday I called a surprise holiday, and we went to the movies. Today I let my kids have a pajama day (we don't do this too often, as we usually have errands, and it just makes it harder to get them to get dressed on other days), and they automatically assumed that meant no school. Now I've got whining about how *not fair* it is that they have to do school.

And it's so difficult, because I get it. I don't want to do school either. But I know how much we need to get done each school year, and if we keep dragging our feet and taking breaks when the weather's gross, then we're going to be stuck doing school when the weather's nice. 

*shakes fist*

Maybe the kids need a hive they can vent to instead of you...

February has always been rough here, and I have only one student.  The first two weeks were actually pretty good, but the back half of the month has been the worst yet.  We've had some sad personal events in the family lately, but more than that, he is a senior, and seems hell-bent on trashing the subjects we enjoy together more than anything else (like lit).  I'm trying to chalk it up to "fouling the nest" and not take it personally, but THAT IS HARD!   I don't know whether I can even hope that March etc. will be any better. 

We actually have some spring happening hear (okay, practically summer) so our issue is that the kids want to play outside since it is so gorgeous and it is hard to say no when I know it will be too hot to play soon enough. Plus we lost SO much time with DS6's medical stuff, so we HAVE to keep plugging away. 

I loathe February. The icy days paired with the weirdly warm ones. And then on the weirdly warm ones someone always comes down with something. And we always have DI tournament the last weekend in February, which is always super stressful. UGGGGGHHHH.

You know the Romans hated February so much they shortened it? Because it's objectively crappy.

I don't even care if the last gasp of February dropped a bunch of stupid ice on us last night. So glad it's done.

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

Oh, it's so not fair that they get to take random days off and do school in their PJs when everybody else in your city has to have their butts in their seats all day!

Preach

Where’s the giant tiny violin emjoi when you need it?

(Can you tell I’m bummed about no more giant emojis? They never even worked for me, but sometimes big emotions need big emojis, amiright)