Menu

Going on a trip with 200 teenagers and being a chaperone

DawnM

completely SUCKS.

I have changed my initial post because I don't know who reads things over here.  

It was miserable. That is all.

And kind of ticked.  Several teachers told me this was the worst year they have ever had (they have gone before) and yet, when we got back, they texted the group with comments like, "What an amazing experience!  I had such a great time, etc...."  What a crock of crap!  Why lie?  I just don't get it.  If they had said all along it was great, or had said it was hard but a good experience, that would have been one thing, but telling me several times what a horrific trip it was and how they will never go again, and then acting like it was the best thing ever just gets on my nerves.  But I have little sleep, blisters, and I am a bit cranky.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

18 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

I laid down the law this year--I am NOT taking our problem Scout! He can only go anywhere if a parent, with a vehicle is there, and that parent doesn't count for two-deep leadership. "But we can't afford that!" Bummer. You pay for your kid AND the full price for you as an adult, not sharing the discount for the other parents.  You choose not to discipline your kid--not my problem. 

Frankly, if the two problem kids were going, with no way to lower the boom on them, I wouldn't chaperone. 

Unfortunately, I doubt Dawn had any choice but to chaperone. I know she’s a counselor at a public school, so I assume she didn’t volunteer to go on this trip, or have any authority over which students would be allowed to participate. 

• Like 2

I would be so tempted to pull those kids aside and tell them they either cut the crap or I am going to call their parents. I would also tell them they will sit out the activity with me if they screw up one more time.

Obviously, I'm not a school counselor for a good reason. 

Maybe you can fantasize this happening. 

For reals, though, I would be talking about this issue withTPB after the trip. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

I would be so tempted to pull those kids aside and tell them they either cut the crap or I am going to call their parents. I would also tell them they will sit out the activity with me if they screw up one more time.

Obviously, I'm not a school counselor for a good reason. 

Maybe you can fantasize this happening. 

For reals, though, I would be talking about this issue withTPB after the trip. 

This.

So, do I understand that the administration made you go but won't give you the authority to discipline?

I would be burning. I mean... smoke visibly coming out my ears. 

I hope you really, really love the job in general.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 4:00 PM, Margaret in CO said:

I assumed she volunteered. Sending hugs!

Oh good lord NO!  I was voluntold I was going.  

And I have NO say in the disciplinary measures taken.  None.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got in at 2am.  I am SPENT for the remainder of the weekend.  

I took old clothes and my husband's winter jacket;.  It looked ridiculous on me, but I didn't want to buy anything.  So, there ya go.  

Day 1- 18K steps

Day 2-26K steps

Day 3- 18K steps.  

I have blisters, my entire body HURTS, and I am mentally and physically exhausted.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Glad that nothing bad happened.  Hoping your blisters heal fast. When we run out of blister cream we use calamine lotion. 

That would require a trip to the store and more walking.  I will just sit here and hope it goes away.

And I have no idea what blister cream is, so I obviously don't have any! 🤣

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

Got in at 2am.  I am SPENT for the remainder of the weekend.  

I took old clothes and my husband's winter jacket;.  It looked ridiculous on me, but I didn't want to buy anything.  So, there ya go.  

Day 1- 18K steps

Day 2-26K steps

Day 3- 18K steps.  

I have blisters, my entire body HURTS, and I am mentally and physically exhausted.  

Long Bubble bath, bed, fuzzy slippers and warm blanket, and your dh needs to bring you wine, chocolate, favorite meal/dessert.  When you can handle noise, watch your favorite movie.  Or if none of that sounds good, hope you have a quiet, peaceful weekend.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Long Bubble bath, bed, fuzzy slippers and warm blanket, and your dh needs to bring you wine, chocolate, favorite meal/dessert.  When you can handle noise, watch your favorite movie.  Or if none of that sounds good, hope you have a quiet, peaceful weekend.  

I have realized I am not a bath person, but I thought about it.  I took a hot shower instead, and am sitting with a blanket and a heating pad for my back, and just vegging/watching TV.  

My son (15) had the NERVE to tell me he was SO TIRED from hanging out with his friends until late last night.  DUDE!  You were ASLEEP when I got home and you CHOSE to go.....just shut up! 😜

9 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yiiiikes!  That’s a lot of walking, but it’s over at least.  Hibernate for the weekend!

I am!  

DH is going grocery shopping.....thankfully.

• Like 7