Menu

Bluetent science courses

• 4 weeks later...

We've only had experience with the Honors Biology course. I thought it provided a good amount of rigor and challenge for my kids, and although they needed a lot of hand-holding in the beginning, they became more and more independent further into the year. We really needed something that had weekly deadlines with detailed feedback on assignments, and this class filled that need well. Weekly assignments included reading text and answering questions, chapter quiz, data analysis, and class discussion. Some weeks had labs and other projects. The instructor Irene Paine is great at answering questions promptly and would accommodate reasonable requests, but she also demands quality work from her students. I also loved that we could order all lab supplies from her at the beginning of class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malory said:

We've only had experience with the Honors Biology course. I thought it provided a good amount of rigor and challenge for my kids, and although they needed a lot of hand-holding in the beginning, they became more and more independent further into the year. We really needed something that had weekly deadlines with detailed feedback on assignments, and this class filled that need well. Weekly assignments included reading text and answering questions, chapter quiz, data analysis, and class discussion. Some weeks had labs and other projects. The instructor Irene Paine is great at answering questions promptly and would accommodate reasonable requests, but she also demands quality work from her students. I also loved that we could order all lab supplies from her at the beginning of class. 

What is the primary mode of instruction? For instance, the bulk of Mrs. Jetta’s teaching at Clover Creek Physics is delivered via daily ‘morning messages’ which are basically written lecture notes. I believe Connie from Clover Valley Chem uses video lessons of her lectures on the new information. How does Irene teach her science classes? 

1 hour ago, fourisenough said:

What is the primary mode of instruction? For instance, the bulk of Mrs. Jetta’s teaching at Clover Creek Physics is delivered via daily ‘morning messages’ which are basically written lecture notes. I believe Connie from Clover Valley Chem uses video lessons of her lectures on the new information. How does Irene teach her science classes? 

Every Monday morning Irene would post her weekly message (lecture and instructions) to the class. Everything students need to do for that week would be included such as videos to watch, links to read, slides to review for that week's quiz, etc. She doesn't tape her own lectures but would suggest videos to watch before certain assignments. And obviously, everything is asynchronous. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 1:52 PM, Malory said:

Thanks for your response!  Approximately how many hours per week were devoted to this class?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...