Menu

Asking for ideas for a fun weekend in Philadelphia

Penguin

We have plans to spend a weekend in May in Philadelphia. We will have Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning. I got timed tickets to Independence Hall for Saturday morning. What else would you recommend? I will be with DH and DS18. DH and DS18 are going to an event Saturday evening, and I will be on my own after an early dinner together. Thanks!

Edited by Penguin

We live in the suburbs nearish the city.  We liked the National Constitution Center a lot (though my kids were younger, and maybe it's geared toward younger kids? not sure), and the American Philosophical Society (nearby, on 5th Street) was pretty interesting.  Reading Terminal Market, near the Jefferson Station is fun, but unless something has changed recently, it closes up pretty early.  I enjoy walking around the Rittenhouse Square area; there is a nice small city park, a Barnes & Noble, and other shops/restaurants/cafes.  My daughter enjoyed visiting Insomnia Cookies after a concert once (they are open till 3am). 

But we are never down there at night, so I have no ideas for you for the evening you're on your own, unless there is something going at the Academy of Music or the Kimmel Center.  But sometimes when I'm in a nice hotel, I'm happy to have everyone else leave while I lounge with a book.  

(You didn't mention the Liberty Bell, but that is on a lot of must-see lists, and I have to say that I've never been there with anyone who wasn't disappointed in it, especially if they waited in a long line to see it.)

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, marbel said:

But sometimes when I'm in a nice hotel, I'm happy to have everyone else leave while I lounge with a book.  

Yes, this is what I will probably do! And I will be more than content!

The Liberty Bell is a definite. I doesn't look like we need advance tickets for that, though.