Menu

Chess Group

My kids have joined a twice monthly chess group this year, aimed for middle school and high school. The group is very small (4-8 kids), and there is no instruction provided, just kids meeting to play. They are enjoying it, but sometimes when it is just the same small group, I feel like we should try to do something to make it more engaging. This may very well be me trying to overcomplicate things! Has anyone been involved in anything like this? Should I be looking to add something to the meetings, or just let things stay as they are? If there is a way to do more, how would I go about that?

Thanks!

Are you on Facebook? There's a coach in AZ who runs an online homeschool chess club. They do lessons twice a week and run online tournaments on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can learn more about it here:
https://www.facebook.com/homeschoolchessclub/

My son has played with them for the past year and a half. There is an option to do the tournaments only. The tournaments do have a small entry fee of $5.50. It's done Swiss style with 3 rounds of play. The top 10% receive medals that get mailed to them.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

I have been volunteering at a large chess club for a few years.   There are many things you can do to spice it up.   Are the kids primarily casual players or more competitive?   Is your meet up more of a social gathering, or would the kids like to go further with their chess skills? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scootiepie said:

I have been volunteering at a large chess club for a few years.   There are many things you can do to spice it up.   Are the kids primarily casual players or more competitive?   Is your meet up more of a social gathering, or would the kids like to go further with their chess skills? 

Casual players, who are split down the middle as far as wanting a social gathering vs. furthering chess skills. Not a very helpful answer, I'm afraid! 🙃

At that age I imagine they are pretty self directed and enjoy the freedom to do what is fun for them.   We run a lot of tournaments, and the kids have classes / coaching at our club as it is more competition minded.   When playing for fun, Bughouse is popular.  You could also introduce a chess ladder that would be ongoing over time.   They are also some variations of chess games you could find online, like 4-way Chess or Plunder Chess, also, there are Equalizer Dice you can play with (role and move what you role).   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scootiepie said:

At that age I imagine they are pretty self directed and enjoy the freedom to do what is fun for them.   We run a lot of tournaments, and the kids have classes / coaching at our club as it is more competition minded.   When playing for fun, Bughouse is popular.  You could also introduce a chess ladder that would be ongoing over time.   They are also some variations of chess games you could find online, like 4-way Chess or Plunder Chess, also, there are Equalizer Dice you can play with (role and move what you role).   

Thank you! I will look into all of that. I appreciate the input!