Menu

Favorite winter squash recipes please

dovrar

Oven roasted:
squash
onion
bell peppers
3 cloves garlic
(I sometimes add sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, even potatoes or carrots to round out)
1/4 c. oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. thyme
2 tsp. rosemary
salt & pepper
Mix oil and spices in a big bowl. Add chopped veggies and stir to coat. Pour onto cookie sheet.
Bake at 450 for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.

• Like 1

Roasted acorn squash (cut in half, then cut into 1/4 in slices) or butternut squash (cut into cubes) are excellent roasted. I cut them up, place in a bowl, pour enough olive oil on them to lightly coat, sprinkle with S&P. Then I spread single layer on a large baking sheet and roast at 450 until they look like I want them to. You can flip or stir mid-way through. Yummy!

3 hours ago, dovrar said:

KathyBC  how many cups of veggies total for the amount of seasoning and oil that you listed?

Thanks,

Debbie

That is a good question. I usually use a whole acorn or butternut squash, one onion and a couple peppers. If it's small or I only have a half one leftover, that's when I'll add some other veggies.
I would guess 7 cups?

Butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise, halves placed face down in a pan filled with about an inch of water.  Baked until soft, flesh scooped out into bowls and mashed if necessary.

Add to each hot squash bowl a pat of butter, cinnamon, brown sugar (or honey) and salt to taste.  Serve immediately.

Edited by Cecropia

My whole family loves this recipe even though they're not big fans of squash in general.  I skip the pomegranate and pistachios though -- I'm sure they'd be great, but it adds more work than I'm willing to do. We eat it with naan. Ugh, I'm hungry now. 🙂

https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/moroccan-butternut-squash-goat-cheese-soup-wcoconut-ginger-cream-pistachios/