Menu

UPDATE: Sympathy Note Marking Deceased Person's Birthday (Please Read!!!!)

ErinE

Personally, I think it's a lovely idea to let them know that you care and you remember. (Too often people are left to mourn those anniversaries alone.) Maybe just let them know you are thinking of them and wanted them to know you remember that their loved one's birthday is coming up and don't want it to go unacknowledged. Maybe share a funny or happy memory in your note. After my father's death, we received an unexpected note from someone sharing such memories and telling us how important my dad had been to the person. We'd had no idea. We cried, but they were good tears.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think it is a good idea but I am not the one for a great note.  Two years ago my dear friend died in March.  Last year I gave some wonderful bulbs for the garden to her husband and daughter to show I remembered the day.  They were colors that friend loved.  It was definitely the right decision as they seemed to be so comforted to be able to talk to someone else who remembered.......they really wanted time and to share stories.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love this idea. The first year after my dad died a lovely friend sent a brief note on both Father’s Day and Christmas saying something about how the “firsts” are the hardest. I so appreciated that she remembered my loss and acknowledged I’d likely be grieving on those days. 

So maybe just a line or two saying something like that? As someone else already mentioned, if you have a memory of this person, include that. 

• Like 3

B-days of people who have passed are a big deal for people in my house. The family will probably very much appreciate the note and it won't matter what you say. I would just write something heartfelt. (thinking of her, praying for you, etc.) You could even go to visit them if you feel close enough.

• Like 4

Thinking of you on ___ Birthday.

whether it's a good idea or not depends upon the parents.  some people would appreciate being remembered on what could be a hard day.   other's wouldn't.  you know the parents and would have a better idea of how they would receive it.

but I've also been reminded of "never suppress the desire to do a good deed".

• Like 2

FWIW, DH's grandparents receive flowers and a card every year remembering one of their deceased children on the anniversary of the person's passing and her birthday. It means so much to them. They are so grateful for it. I think you've gotten some good suggestions on wording, so I just wanted to pass along the perspective I know of from someone who is on the receiving end.

• Like 1

I think it's a great idea to let them know you are thinking of them on such a bittersweet day.  I think it's hard for loved ones when the world moves on while they are grieving so it's nice for them to know that others are thinking of them and the person who passed away.  It can be a simple note or something bigger but this is really a case where it's the thought that counts.

• Like 3

I love when people send us notes or even quick messages on Nate's birthday. Doesn't have to be a long note. A simple "Thinking of you/remembering Nate with you today" is lovely and something I very much appreciate. I have never known what to say either, but on my niece's birthday for over a decade, I have said pretty much that, assuming that that's what I would like to hear too, and now that I'm on the receiving end, it is exactly what I love to hear. 

• Like 3

There are a few people that I do this for, but usually it’s just a message or email and not a card.  I think of the departed on those days (birthdays/Christmas) and I hope it’s a comfort to the family to know that they’re not the only ones thinking of their loved one that day.  

I keep it as simple as I can, “Thinking of you today.”  They’ll know why.  

• Like 4

When I did this, I sent a notecard. I wrote something about remembering it was T's birthday, that I knew this must be a difficult day for them (it was the parents of someone I grew up with) and that I was thinking of them and him on that day. I ran into the mother later and she mentioned how nice it was for someone to remember. 

• Like 1

I think this is such a loving act. I agree with the words already mentioned. “Thinking of you and remembering ————‘s life today and always.” I also think it’s very nice to share some memory or story. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Garga said:

There are a few people that I do this for, but usually it’s just a message or email and not a card.  I think of the departed on those days (birthdays/Christmas) and I hope it’s a comfort to the family to know that they’re not the only ones thinking of their loved one that day.  

I keep it as simple as I can, “Thinking of you today.”  They’ll know why.  

This is not something I feel or think about, but others I know have been very helped by receiving comfort and thoughts on that day, so I try to do it for my closer friends.  Keep it simple, as Garga said, they know why.  Even a text is okay I think.