Menu

Favorite video resources for elementary

ktgrok

Wanting to get back to more "documentary schooling" with my 3rd grader. She's dyslexic, and even me reading to her doesn't stick as well as a video she can watch and listen to at the same time. I used a lot with my oldest Aspie son, but those were when he was older - we didn't start homeschooling until 5th grade with him. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. We used to have a Curiosity membership but got rid of it as most of it seemed duplicated with the others, but if there is a good reason to add it back I will. Also, we have the youtube app on the TV. 

Ones I know about-

Crash Course Kids -science topics

Eyewitness Documentaries 

Kids Animated History with Pipo 

The Little Travelers (geography, world cultures)

What's In the Bible

Friends and Heros - bible/character

We often add in short 2-3 minute videos from national geographic kids on youtube. 

We also watch in the evening some Rick Steves, Planet Earth, etc but sometimes it's a bit heavy so we tend towards Scaled, My Big Fat Pet Makeover, etc. Also How It's Made, shows about amazing houses, etc. 

Edited to add: 

Just found a few more on Prime! Children of the World, The Once Upon a Time Explorers, and Families of the World. Anyone have an opinion or review of these?

Also, I forgot we used to watch the Popular Mechanics shows, might rewatch some. And the new kids version of Brain Games is good too, i think that one is Netflix. 

Edited by Ktgrok

No more ideas about sources of videos, but there's a FB group: "Homeschooling with Netflix."
Also check out this past thread: "Favorite educational YouTube resources?"

And a few specific series that might be a good fit for her, to get you started:

History
- Liberty's Kids (American Colonial/Revolution History)
- 
Nest Videos (Christian company; animated biographies of famous people)
- Susan Wise-Bauer Blog: Story of the World video links: vol. 1 (Ancients); vol 2 (Middle Ages); vol. 3 (early Modern); vol. 4 (Modern)
- Drive Through History: Holy LandAncientsAmerican Hisory
Schlessinger Media videos (US and World History; educational videos for different grade levels -- check the library)
Guest Hollow (elementary through high school -- books & movies to go with History)
World History Movies (many family-friendly titles)

Geography
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

Science
- Magic School Bus
- Bill Nye the Science Guy
- Kratt's Creatures
- Amoeba Sisters (YouTube)
- Spangler Effect
- Free School (YouTube)
- Eureka!
- How Things Are Made
- Happy Scientist
- Ellen McHenry channels

Math
- Schoolhouse Rock: Multiplication Rock
- Mathologer (YouTube)
- Numberphile (YouTube)

LA
- Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock

Arts
- Piano Guys (YouTube)
- Art for Kids Hub (YouTube)

I do a fair bit of input through video too, but ours is mostly DVDs and I think these are all at our library except the religious ones. I’ll include them in case some might be available to you. My kids love Rock n learn videos, 10 commandments, liberty’s kids, read n share bible DVDs, magic school bus, listening to magic tree house on cds, all leapfrog DVDs, preschool prep math facts and math drills, what’s in the Bible (They make a lot, lot, lot of these and I think my kids will be biblical scholars after absorbing them all. They are that in depth), Character builders.

On YouTube, Peter Weatherall, make me genius, StoryBots, numberblocks (more for my three year old twins but my K and 2nd grader are mesmerized by it too). Numberblocks are like DragonBox nooms  in a very engaging cartoon format. Character builders are on YouTube somewhere too, which is how we found them, but I bought the updated version on DVDs.

Wildkratts on a channel I can’t remember.

On pbs kids, fetch with ruff ruffman, odd squad, (Cyberchase which is only slightly educational), and Word girl.

I have intended to watch some Bearenstain bears on YouTube and Roman Mysteries but we haven’t yet to say if those are good or not.

PBS Learning Media is a site designed for teachers that has access to a large amount of videos on lots of subjects. I use it a lot in my work. It requires a sign up, but it is free. Sometimes the videos come with extra resources such as worksheet. I don't see why it would t work for homeschooling.

BrainPop and/or BrainPop jr. is good, but it does require a paid membership.