Menu

Substitution for sesame oil?

KungFuPanda

I have all the ingredients for a soup recipe. It calls for toasted sesame oil. I don’t WANNA go to the store. I HAVE sesame seeds in the house. I’m thinking of sautéing the veggies in vegetable oil and toasting the seeds to add for flavor.  Any advice?  Should I purée the toasted seeds? What amount would give me the flavor of a teaspoon of sesame oil? Should I just go to the store already? 

Yeah, sesame seeds won’t give you the flavor of sesame oil any more than adding olives to a dish will give you the flavor of olive oil.  

I’ve had to leave sesame oil out of lots of recipes when it’s unavailable locally.  Just go to the store or don’t try to replace it. You’d lose some flavor, but unless sesame oil is the primary flavor, it’ll still taste good.

• Like 3

I went to the store. I had no good excuse. The ethnic market is about a 6 minute walk from my house. I drove. I braved the wall of sesame oil and located the toasted sesame oil the recipe called for. I didn’t notice the chili sesame option until I got home or I would have looked for that.  

Yes, it was important. The recipe turned out pretty good.  I want to try it with a good, homemade stock next time, but this was nice and quick for a weeknight. 

@HomeAgain, I snapped photos for you. We ended up adding cilantro, a little soy sauce, and siracha (DH only) to the bowls. I added a pinch of red pepper flakes to the broth. It needed it, but maybe not if you have chili sesame oil. 

Even though I haven’t been able to log in for most of the day, I will admit that being able to add photos makes me love this new platform. 

BD48E051-6391-4121-BE14-71ADF4E5E0A3.jpeg

31DDB113-033A-4BAA-B737-6D3AD0B31CDA.jpeg

• Like 4