Menu

Financial aid for summer- question

teachermom2834

My ds is at an OOS public university. He is in his second semester there but technically he started as a sophomore because he had 36 de hours transferred in. He is staying there this summer to work and is planning to take nine hours over the summer (spread over two sessions). 

We have no experience with summer classes so in the back of my mind I was planning to possibly have to pay the whole cost out of pocket. I saw on the website that there was a way to request summer financial aid so I had ds do that. He also asked his advisor if his scholarship would be applied over summer and the answer was " Sometimes. Probably. It depends."  

I logged in to see if any FA had been posted in his account for summer and it looks like he will get an equivalent scholarship amount to what he gets during the year (yay- it roughly waives the OOS portion of tuition) and they are giving him the same FA grant they have given him each semester (yay-not huge but helpful) but I was really confused to see they also offered him about $3500 total loans in federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans.  He already had the $5500 allowed for first year students during fall and spring so my understanding is that there would be nothing left for summer. 

I can't make sense of it and I actually thought I finally understood these things. He can decline the loans, of course. We weren't planning on them and he can make do without them. Or he could take them if we decided that made sense.  I am mostly just really confused. I really thought the loan limits were firm (he is not independent nor have we applied for and been denied a PLUS loan which I know can up the limit).

Does anyone know what might be happening here? Might they be giving him a portion of the loans that would have been available for next fall/spring? I know the answer is to check with the school but that doesn't sound like a fun way for either my ds or me to spend the day tomorrow. 

For some financial aid situations, the academic year BEGINS in the summer.  So, I would check and see if that is money that would be available for the 2019-2020 academic year that is being made available in the summer of 2019.  

• Like 1