Menu

X-Post Teacher's Guides or Books to Help Teach Writing

Currently, I'm teaching a high school level writing class at our co-op. The curriculum we're using is not my favorite. It has some good information, but the presentation is meh. What I've been doing for an online writing class I teach is reading through The Lively Art of Writing, taking the information, and teaching it the way I wish, which is working so much better.

I would like to continue reading through books and teacher's manuals to keep cleaning the parts I like and adding those things to my teaching notes, specifically anything having to do with specific essay styles (persuasive, research, compare/contrast, narrative, literary, etc.). 

Anyone have any recommendations for books or teacher's guides that you think made you a better writing teacher?

I have a horrible time following anyone else's writing program, and so have built up a lot of my "teaching writing" materials through trial and error. Also, over the years, I've stumbled over various online articles and resources with the occasional tip / example, or exercise/activity, that has helped me, and that has slowly accreted (lol) into my teaching notes and materials.

Here are a few books of the numerous resources on my "teaching writing" bookshelf from which I have pulled more than just a few ideas:

Windows to the World (Myers)
The chapters on how to write a literary analysis essay are so clear and step-by-step. (Also, some of the info and exercises in other chapters on the different literary elements can be used in a class setting, using short stories as short fillers for just 1-2 weeks of a semester...)

Mastering the 5-Paragraph Essay (Van Zile)
Some useful in-class activities and reproducibles (editing checklists). The first chapter covers the process of building a 5-paragraph essay, and the remaining 5 chapters cover different types of essays: Expository (informational); Narrative (personal narrative; Persuasive; Compare-Contrast; Character Analysis (literary analysis).

Writing with a Thesis (Skwire)
(link is to an extensive Google Book excerpt; I think it's up to a 13th edition; I found an older 9th edition for cheap on Amazon)
College text, but pretty easily adaptable for high school. Walks you through the process of writing different types of essays, with an emphasis on coming up with a thesis. Covers the following essay types, each in a chapter: Persuasive, Narrative, Descriptive, Comparison, Cause and Effect, Division and Classification, Definition, Argumentation. And for the actual writing process, chapters on: Examples, and, the Process.

After 6 years of teaching Lit. & Comp. to co-op students, I'm realizing many of my students need help to learn how to *think* and how to build a solid argument in support of their thesis, so I recently picked up these two resources, but haven't had a chance to read through them or use them yet:

Twisting Arms: Teaching Students How to Write to Persuade (di Prince) -- from a past post suggestion by farrar
(middle school/early high school level)
While at a younger level, this looked useful because of the included activities and exercises that seem like I could adapt pretty easily for classroom practice.

A Workbook for Arguments: A Complete Course in Critical Thinking (Morrow) -- from a past post suggestion by elegantlion
(college level)
Probably less immediately useful for teaching essay-writing, but I'm guessing there will be some helpful ideas in there for ME for helping guide students into coming up with a thesis (which should contain: 1. topic, 2. claim about the topic, and 3. direction (main points of the body), and how to build a solid argument of support (points with supporting facts/examples) to prove the thesis claim.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

I wish there were more resources that hit that space between the "your first thesis essay!" resources and the "now you need to do college level writing" resources. The entry college level resources can be adapted and many high school students are ready for them anyway, but still... 

• Like 1