Menu

Teacher's Guides or Books to Help Teach Writing

Currently, I'm teaching a high school level writing class at our co-op. The curriculum we're using is not my favorite. It has some good information, but the presentation is meh. What I've been doing for an online writing class I teach is reading through The Lively Art of Writing, taking the information, and teaching it the way I wish, which is working so much better.

I would like to continue reading through books and teacher's manuals to keep cleaning the parts I like and adding those things to my teaching notes, specifically anything having to do with specific essay styles (persuasive, research, compare/contrast, narrative, literary, etc.). 

Anyone have any recommendations for books or teacher's guides that you think made you a better writing teacher?

I've used and quite like A Writer's Reference by Diana Hacker. I have an old, cheap version and just look up current MLA and APA standards as needed to supplement.

I also really like Write Like This: Teaching Real-World Writing Through Modeling and Mentor Texts by  Mr. Kelly Gallagher

I've assigned my students chapters from the Writer's Reference for homework, but I used Write Like This for my own teacher development. 

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme

I also really like The Lively Art of Writing, but another one that breaks essay-writing down even more simply is Writing to the Point by William Kerrigan. There are specific chapters about how to write a compare/contrast and (I think) an argumentative essay. My kids can't stand reading books about writing, but these two have really helped me as a teacher.

• Like 1