Menu

Book learning the stars and planets

lulalu

Next year for 2nd grade history we are learning Greek and Roman history. We will be taking a slow time learning the gods and myths. 

My plan is to use AiG Heaven and Earth for science. As that will give variety and it looks like we would enjoy it and get it done. (Unless you can suggest something you like better) 

Is there anything to add that will show the conection between the Greeks/Romans and stars and planets? We love read alouds. Any books to add or projects? 

9 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Memoria Press schedules Astronomy and D'Aulaire's Greek myths at the same time, which is nice. It's probably too much for a second grader but it may give you a good idea. 

Yes, I looked at their workbooks. It is scheduled for 4th grade and I think it will be too detailed and too much work for my boy next year for 2nd. 

I love "Find the Constellations" by HA Rey(sp?) for that age. They have a Curious George edition as well. Also using cardboard coasters and hole punching constellations into them and then using a flashlight to cast them on the wall is neat. 

I do agree though, the MP astronomy and myths is my favorite combo. 

• Like 1

We aligned earth and space study with our Greek and Roman history study in Story of the World, and I made a chart for the Greek part of it.  It has SOTW chapters, but since I list the chapter topic you might be able to use this to align to what you are using.   It's got some recommendations for books and videos linked.   We did layers of the earth related to a Volcano that they talked about effecting the Mycenean culture, then learned about the rotation of the earth, and it's rotation around the sun, and then the moon and stars an constellations.    I tried to line it up with related history as much as possible.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oxjmtCoHHP1tsROwG08lcTptBBCC9sVBLSlt4zlA_uM/edit?usp=sharing

Then we learned about the planets while studying the Romans because they have Roman names.  We just went in the order of the planets, and used a random book about the planets at our library along with the following book, which has beautifully illustrated pictures of the planet and the gods/goddesses they are named after with info about both presented somewhat poetically (it's prose).  It was a perfect book for combining the two (but I wanted them to see real pictures of the planets and get more facts too).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/142630448X/?coliid=I12VLXYBH4D4I4&colid=ZDUNNLAC35IJ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We also did a science experiment for each planet and the moon and all of them I think are listed on this pinterest board (along with some activities we didn't do):

https://www.pinterest.com/galel/hs-space/

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, lulalu said:

Anyone use MP with a 2nd grader? Will it be too much? Better to wait for a second go around with history at an older age? Or just fine for a 7yo? 

Mp astronomy used to be scheduled for 3rd grade if that makes it seem any better for you.  I haven't used it for a second grader, but I don't know why you couldn't and adjust. 

• Like 1