Menu

Odyssey/Iliad versions for 1st grade

MomN

I'm planning for first grade next year and was looking for suggestions for literature, mainly for which versions of The Odyssey and The Iliad were appropriate for that age.  Also, any favorite books or audio books on the ancients you can suggest?

THANK YOU!

The Step into Reading book, "The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War" is good for that age.  My first grader this year is a strong reader and read this aloud with me.  Last time around, I had a second grader who wasn't reading much, and we used "Tales from the Odyssey" by Mary Pope Osborne as a read-aloud.

• Like 1

The Mary Pope version is excellent. The chapters were short so when I read it aloud it held the attention of both my kids. I bought it for my 3rd grader but my K’er liked it so much she stuck around and always wanted to stay to hear what would happen next. It’s also written with large font and white space so it would be a great format for a child to read independently who was ready for that. I was impressed at how thorough it was while keeping it fast paced and interesting.