Menu

MEP placement advice after pre-algebra

My son is planning to do CLE Algebra 1 next school year.  He will be in 8th grade.  I was reading about integrated math on some other threads.  I believe our public schools are going to this.  I haven't yet asked officially, but  his  friend is taking integrated math 1 in 8th grade for high school credit.   I didn't know what his friend meant by integrated math, but after reading a few threads asking for high school math advice, I now understand. There is about a 25% possibility my son will try public high school starting in 9th grade.  Our plan is to consider several options for high school and look more seriously into each option next fall.  If it is true that the public schools are doing integrated math vs standard Alg 1/Geo/Alg 2 sequence, I really need to rethink my plan to teach Algebra 1  next school year.  MEP is the only math program that is integrated (I think) and I feel comfortable jumping into after using CLE the past 3 years.  We started with MEP, but switched to CLE around 4th-5th grade.  The material was fine and we liked it, but I needed something more student independent for awhile and stuck with CLE longer than intended, because we both liked it as well.  I understand the MEP website and how to use the materials. I will be overwhelmed with the thought of starting fresh with an unfamiliar program at this late in the ballgame,  I briefly looked over MEP years 7, 8, and 9.  If we switch back to MEP, I want to be at a place that would be considered  high school Integrated Math 1 by September or October.   My son is about to start the CLE 802 book and will likely finish through 804 by mid-May.  My plan before the possible Integrated Math need happened was for ds to work on book 805 during the summer and go through a pre-Algebra video series for review (like Chalkdust) before starting Algebra 1 in September.  Would MEP  be a better plan if the high schools are doing integrated math (I will verify that is the case before switching gears)?  If so, what year of MEP would be similar in rigor to what a high school would consider Integrated Math 1?  If switch is needed, I could ditch my current summer plan, and my son could briefly go quickly go through any new/missed material in MEP year 7 this summer, start with MEP year 8 iin September (but move through some of it quickly since some of it was covered in CLE), and start year 9 after Christmas.  I'm not sure how far into MEP year 9 we will need to be to give him an Integrated Math 1 high school credit.  Anyone experienced with MEP placement  for Integrated Math 1?  

ETA:  I wonder how Integrated Math vs. standard sequence wil work with reporting to an umbrella school.  Our umbrella school requires 4 years of high math to include Alg 1/Geo/Alg 2.  If I switch to integrated math1, 2, and 3 instead to align credits with area public schools, will this go over well with an umbrella school that recommends the traditional high school math credits?  Of course, I will ask the umbrella school directly if I switch to integrated math, but want to be "okay" with the math route I choose regardless of if we continue homeschooling or do public school for high school.  

Edited by TX Native

If the primary goal is to line up to your local school's sequence, I don't think MEP will be your best option, just because it's from a foreign country and made to line up to their sequence.

Of course, you could do it if you like it and it's the best option for your student. But I think you'll have to supplement by looking at the scope and sequence for your school and making sure you cover everything, perhaps using something like Khan Academy to fill in any gaps. But you could do that for any book, really. So why not choose the program you like best? For example, if you like CLE, just use CLE's algebra, but also use a geometry program concurrently, skipping any chapters in CLE and the geometry program that aren't covered in the S&S for your school district. Or just go forward with your plan and have your student do some geometry on the side with something like Khan. They definitely get transfer students. If his overall math scores are okay, I think it's likely they'll place him accordingly.

• Like 3

I agree with Farrar that MEP will probably not line up with your local district-- you would still have gaps.

Integrated math in the USA combines Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2 with at least a one-semester equivalent of statistics.  Students moving from a traditional A1, G, A2 sequence would place into Pre-Calc just the same as a student who completed Math 1, 2 and 3 (integrated).  The difference is integrated math 'crams' statistics into an already full sequence (my opinion of course).

I suggest consulting your local district to see what program they will be using.  If possible, see if you can check out a text to look at (or purchase one on Amazon).  This will give you a better idea of what your son would be 'missing' if he transferred in after a traditional Algebra 1 course-- and you could insert mini-units to help fill the gaps before he begins PS.   It is fine if your son has TOO MUCH of one topic-- but gaps can be embarrassing to the student in a classroom situation... 

Integrated Math 1,2 and 3 are becoming 'standardized' in the USA- meaning that the topics covered in one 'state approved' program will be the same (or very close) in a different 'state approved' program.

• Like 2

Some schools use texts labeled "integrated" others use texts with traditional labeling, the contents of which may or may not correspond to what CLE calls Algebra I.   Common Core Algebra I is a example of the latter.   If the school your son's friend attends is one of the schools you are considering, ask to see his math text.  Compare the table of contents to CLE and MEP.  It is unlikely that all the schools use the same math text, so also look on the school webpages and/or contact the other schools and ask what math text they use.  Then do the same.  

MEP is a great math program. But as Farrar stated it is not a US program.  There are terminology, focus, and sequencing differences.  Skipping around in years 9 through GCSE to cover just the topics your local schools cover in eighth grade would mitigate the sequencing differences but not the terminology and focus issues.  You might find that CLE Algebra plus supplemental units on statistics and geometry more closely approximates what your local schools are doing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

If the primary goal is to line up to your local school's sequence, I don't think MEP will be your best option, just because it's from a foreign country and made to line up to their sequence.

Of course, you could do it if you like it and it's the best option for your student. But I think you'll have to supplement by looking at the scope and sequence for your school and making sure you cover everything, perhaps using something like Khan Academy to fill in any gaps. But you could do that for any book, really. So why not choose the program you like best? For example, if you like CLE, just use CLE's algebra, but also use a geometry program concurrently, skipping any chapters in CLE and the geometry program that aren't covered in the S&S for your school district. Or just go forward with your plan and have your student do some geometry on the side with something like Khan. They definitely get transfer students. If his overall math scores are okay, I think it's likely they'll place him accordingly.

This is such  helpful advice.  I looked through the MEP material for years 7-9 more closely and found that quite a bit would be review for him, but there is enough new material to not skip those years.  My son says he likes  CLE a lot and was looking forward to continuing on with their Algebra.  Being familiar with MEP from the early years, he would like that as a 2nd option if I made him switch programs, but he would prefer to stick with CLE.  Your  advice to cover some geometry through another program is a good idea.  He currently enjoys watching  Khan Academy videos as a supplement to history and science, so I think he would be on board with covering some geometry through Khan as "homework."  I can either ask to look at the table of contents of his friend's textbook or call the school for a S&S list for Integrated Math 1.  After reviewing that,  I can decide if I want him to do all of the Algebra 1 with a light geometry supplement, or just cover what the school covers in their textbook.  Thanks for taking time to give input, especially a heads up that MEP's S&S is likely way off from our school system's S&S even though they are both an integrated approach to high school level math.  

Edited by TX Native
  • Like 1

Sherry and Jan, thanks for your your input as well, I was thinking about, typing, and submitting  my response to Farrar before I was able to read your posts. You both gave great explanations of how it is likely working in our school system.  My son would be in the same school system as his friend, just his friend is one grade level ahead.  

ETA:  I do miss all the statistics covered in MEP, even in the early years.  My son is highly likely to go into a career field heavy on statistics.  His mind is just wired that way.  My main reason for wanting him to have one high school math credit in 8th grade is so he can take statistics his senior year if he continues to be obsessed with population growths/declines around the world, percentages on everything from fantasy football to how likely is one to get struck by lightening, cost of living, work wages, etc.....

Edited by TX Native

• 2 weeks later...

I think stats is sufficiently different from algebra that it would be completely reasonable to include a couple of stats units every year as well.

Here, while I think doing MEP completely might not pair well with the US curriculum, adding some of the units from GCSE level that are specifically probability/data (5, 8, 9) and then the year after unit 20 (which is aimed at GCSE statistics) would be completely reasonable. Because of personal interest, they would probably work well as summer courses too. 

After that, if desired, there is sufficient material on statistics/discrete math in the A level curriculum to easily make a credit. 

• Like 1