Menu

If you speak or are learning two or more languages...

Someone's asked me to post for their daughter. 🙂

"I am a college student and I am working on a research project for my Linguistics class. I am researching about the effect of learning additional languages as a teen or adult. If you speak three or more languages (you do not have to be fluent in all three) and started learning your second language in middle school or later, it would be a great help if you would fill out this short survey. It should take ten minutes or less and is completely anonymous. If you do not fit this description but know someone who does, it would also be very helpful if you could pass it on to them. Thank you very much! "

Link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7TD2WK2

I'm having some problems filling this out.   My third language is sign language.  I learned mostly signed English and some ASL (so, since it's a pigeon language of sorts, grammar wasn't as much of a an issue).   But reading/writing is not existent for this language (well...people say you "read" sign language, but really it's conversation...it's the same as listening.)   There is no written form of ASL that I'm aware of, and the written form of signed English is simply English.

Do you think I should fill this out or are they only looking for spoken languages?  Does it matter if my third language was mostly a signed version of my Native Language (ASL is not...but like I mentioned I learned a pigeon of that and ASL, which is grammatically different from English)?

Also, I know some people do learn the spoken form of a language without learning the written form....even where there is one, so that might be something to consider.

Edited by goldenecho

8 hours ago, goldenecho said:

Also, I know some people do learn the spoken form of a language without learning the written form....even where there is one, so that might be something to consider.

Or learn the written form but not speak it.  It is why I asked about Latin. One of my dd's knows 2 additional languages plus Latin; one knows 1 plus Latin.