Menu

SOTW Middle School

Ohio12

I used to be on this board all the time when my kids were little!  I homeschooled allllll the way through and we are almost done!  I am now preparing to take a little group of middle schoolers through SOTW Ancients and I am looking for help like a newbie again.  Where is the best place to go to find the latest supplements that go with SOTW?  I am specifically looking for youtube or Kahn academy or literature supplement ideas. Things that will enrich the curriculum and ensure it is enough for middle grades. My SOTW activity guide is 12 years old.  Is there a thread on here for sharing ideas or a different forum where people are doing this?  thanks!

This may or may not help, but our plan for our next go around is this:
Ancients:
Investigating World History
Reading Like A Historian
And many of the books on Sonlight's list, just because we have them already.   We found some pretty good documentaries on Netflix and Amazon Prime, so we'll use those instead of searching for others.  I do plan on reinforcing with our history encyclopedia and using that to practice outlining and writing narrations, which will evolve to papers using multiple sources at the end of the year.
One of our more important books will be Teaching What Really Happened:Avoiding The Tyranny Of Textbooks. Actually, that's more for me, but I want to focus on HOW we examine evidence and draw conclusions, and how to ask the silent questions when looking at a text. What was omitted?  What point of view is this?  What other documents/evidence from that time support or negate this point of view?  When was this written?
We're secular, but in middle school I make my kids read a chronological study bible.  I want them to be literate about a dominate culture in the U.S., and I want them to be able to put stories in context.  Ours does both, with historical notes on each page about the region and people.  By high school I want them to be able to use more of that information to understand how the people thought and why their cultures were the way they were.

• Like 2

Welcome back! And how generous of you to lead a co-op class. : )

Not that you asked for any opinions, but I'll toss out this unsolicited thought anyways (lol): while I think SOTW vol. 4, and possibly vol. 3, would work for middle schoolers, vol. 1 and 2 are extremely young in tone and content (written for the average early elementary gr. 1-4 age range), so you may want to do something else as the "spine" for Ancients for middle schoolers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Welcome back! And how generous of you to lead a co-op class. : )

Not that you asked for any opinions, but I'll toss out this unsolicited thought anyways (lol): while I think SOTW vol. 4, and possibly vol. 3, would work for middle schoolers, vol. 1 and 2 are extremely young in tone and content (written for the average early elementary gr. 1-4 age range), so you may want to do something else as the "spine" for Ancients for middle schoolers.

Agreeing here, and I would add that I also think that 3 and 4 are too young for middle schoolers.

I'd take a look at the Human Odyssey series.  Here are links to HO1, HO2, and HO3.

• Like 1

Here are past threads that might help with lining up materials and resources (I'm still looking for other threads for you):
"8th Grade Ancients Spine"
"Biblioplan, TOG, Wayfarers, Mystery of History or other for ancients?"

And here are some websites with lists of movies/videos to go with History studies:
- Nest Videos (Christian company; animated biographies of famous people -- check the library)
- Susan Wise-Bauer Blog: Story of the World video links: vol. 1 (Ancients); vol 2 (Middle Ages); vol. 3 (early Modern); vol. 4 (Modern)
- Drive Through History: Holy LandAncientsAmerican Hisory (family friendly educational videos -- check the library)
Schlessinger Media videos (US and World History; educational videos for different grade levels -- check the library)
Guest Hollow (elementary through high school -- books & movies to go with History)
World History Movies (many family-friendly titles)

Also, possibly look at a one of the other chronological history curricula providers for book list ideas, or possibly a different spine with middle-school activities:
Biblioplan
Mystery of History
Wayfarers
Tapestry of Grace
Truth Quest
Trisms
Pandia Press: History Odyssey (which is different from the K-12 Human Odyssey mentioned above)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I blogged about our first 13 chapters (what books, activities, videos we used...plus added links to some other activities and stuff we didn't use), and also made a more sparse chart of what we did for the Myceneans and Greeks (which I combined with science).   While my kids were younger (most of the books will be for littler kids) a lot of the activities and most of the videos would work for middle schoolers too (especially those we did with our co-op, which had little kids through highschoolers in the group).    Chap 3, 4 (mummies), and 11-13 I think had activities/resources that would work well for middle schoolers. 

http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2016/09/story-of-world-our-lessons-plans.html

• Like 1

Thank you for putting these together for me Lori. D.!

On 2/23/2019 at 1:40 PM, Lori D. said:

Here are past threads that might help with lining up materials and resources (I'm still looking for other threads for you):
"8th Grade Ancients Spine"
"Biblioplan, TOG, Wayfarers, Mystery of History or other for ancients?"

And here are some websites with lists of movies/videos to go with History studies:
- Nest Videos (Christian company; animated biographies of famous people -- check the library)
- Susan Wise-Bauer Blog: Story of the World video links: vol. 1 (Ancients); vol 2 (Middle Ages); vol. 3 (early Modern); vol. 4 (Modern)
- Drive Through History: Holy LandAncientsAmerican
Hisory (family friendly educational videos -- check the library)
Schlessinger Media videos (
US and World History; educational videos for different grade levels -- check the library)
Guest Hollow (elementary through high school -- books & movies to go with History)
World History Movies (many family-friendly titles)

Also, possibly look at

a one of the other chronological history curricula providers for book list ideas, or possibly a different spine with middle-school activities:
Biblioplan
Mystery of History
Wayfarers
Tapestry of Grace
Truth Quest
Trisms
Pandia Press: History Odyssey (which is different from the K-12 Human Odyssey mentioned above)