Menu

Online German 1 Recommendations

14 hours ago, Arcadia said:

DS13 took WTMA German 1 in 6th grade and German 2 in 7th grade. He didn’t take German 3 because he didn’t have the time for the online class this year. He took the three times a week schedule. He enjoyed the class.

https://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/classes/german-i/

Thank you! They don't have a teacher or day/time up for German 1 yet, but I am hopeful it's in a time that's do-able for us. 

3 minutes ago, Heather in WI said:

Thank you! They don't have a teacher or day/time up for German 1 yet, but I am hopeful it's in a time that's do-able for us. 

Frau Elizabeth Edwards was his teacher. If past trends hold, German 1 class would probably be before German 2 class, so my guess is 9am to 10:15am EST on Tuesday and Thursday.

• Like 1

Classical Learning Resource Center is offering German 1-3 next year along with "young german" for those younger than high school age that would like to take things slower. They are also offering a German Conversations class once per week if you already have at least one year of German under your belt. If there is enough interest, the current teacher would like to add German 4 or AP German in future years. Their German 1 will be offered Mondays & Thursdays from 8-9 AM Pacific (11 AM Eastern). They use the Komm Mit! book which is pretty inexpensive.

My dd#1 is in CLRC's German 2 this year. I really like CLRC's Monday-Thursday schedule because it gives the kids more time between the two class periods to get homework & studying done.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2019 at 11:56 AM, RootAnn said:

Classical Learning Resource Center is offering German 1-3 next year along with "young german" for those younger than high school age that would like to take things slower. They are also offering a German Conversations class once per week if you already have at least one year of German under your belt. If there is enough interest, the current teacher would like to add German 4 or AP German in future years. Their German 1 will be offered Mondays & Thursdays from 8-9 AM Pacific (11 AM Eastern). They use the Komm Mit! book which is pretty inexpensive.

My dd#1 is in CLRC's German 2 this year. I really like CLRC's Monday-Thursday schedule because it gives the kids more time between the two class periods to get homework & studying done.

Thank you for mentioning this! I had never heard of this company. Off to check it out ... 😊

Edited by Heather in WI
trying to get rid of big smiley face!

On 2/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, TarynB said:

Just to give you a couple more options:

Excelsior Classes has German classes taught by Susan Gleason. Faith Cruz teaches German at both Big River Academy and HSLDA Online Academy. (Both of these teachers previously taught through Landry Academy when it was still open, so they are experienced.)

Thank you! More food for thought! I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

My son is taking German 1 online at The Potter's School. He enjoys it and it's going well. They use a standard text book (Sag Mal) and the associated online class work.

I will say that my son took 2 years of Latin at The Classical Learning Resource Center online. While he liked the teachers and format of the class, just hated latin even though he did very well. I would recommend them in general as well too 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 9:23 PM, Wendy Inman said:

My son is taking German 1 online at The Potter's School. He enjoys it and it's going well. They use a standard text book (Sag Mal) and the associated online class work.

I will say that my son took 2 years of Latin at The Classical Learning Resource Center online. While he liked the teachers and format of the class, just hated latin even though he did very well. I would recommend them in general as well too 🙂

Thank you for the additional suggestion and positive recommendation for the CLRC! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 4:20 PM, FairProspects said:

Well Trained Mind Academy has been awesome for German I. Frau Edwards is amazing and responsive. I'm incredibly pleased with our choice.

This is the one we are leading toward because it's the only one that's possibly offered three days a week which I think would be best for this child. Unfortunately, there's still no teacher or time listed.  I kept checking as the early registration ended yesterday; I just can't sign up for something without being for certain of that the timing will work for us.

• Like 1