Menu

What's with the ads?

ca06c

Best Poetry Anthology for Young Children (3-8)

We have the following already:

– Now We Are Six by A. A. Milne
– When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne
– A Child’s Book of Poems by Gyo Fujikawa
– Read Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young by Jack Prelutsky

We also read the poems included in our Shirley Hughes collections, in Story Time (My Book House Vol. 2), and in What Your Preschooler Needs to Know.

Is that a sufficient collection for this age group? I’ve been considering adding one or several from the list below but am unsure of the amount of overlap.

– My First Oxford Book of Poemsby John Foster
– The Random House Book of Poetry for Children by Jack Prelutsky
– Poems and Rhymes – Childcraft Volume 1
–  Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child’s Book of Poems by Mary Michaels White, Eva Moore, et al.

Would love some guidance and your favorites.

The Random House book you listed above is very good. It's my kid's favourite.

We have many of these: Poetry For Young People. I collect a few at a time to go along with our studies.  They're not perfect (long poems are truncated), but they are a great introduction with lots of illustrations.  My kid went from loving Shel Silverstein to Edward Lear, read Just So Stories and moved on to Kipling's poetry, and similar with other authors. 

There are a LOT of them, but each one has unique artwork to go with the styles of the poets.

• Like 1

A newer one we LOVED is Julie Andrew's Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies.  It has a sweet CD with it as well.  We absulely loved the ones you mentioned in OP!  

• Like 1

Thanks, all! I think I'm going to pick up the Shel Silverstein and Random House collections. @Homeagain, I've heard great things about that series and have already listed them for hold at my local library. 

• Like 1

Our favorite children's poetry book ever is Walter De La Mare's Come Hither. We have an old Puffin two-volume set just the right size for little hands. Edward Blishen edited a lovely selection of the poems for Oxford as The Oxford Book of Poetry for Children.

• Like 2