Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

omishev

One Strange Rock **Mind Blown**

Recommended Posts

Has anyone seen the "One Strange Rock" series by National Geographic? It is on Netflix as well. My husband and I just started watching it and we are learning so much about the Earth! I would say it is primarily earth science but has a lot of biology, ecology, astronomy, geology as well. It is based off the way an astronaut sees the Earth and interviews astronauts throughout.  I love how it ties everything together. Everything is connected! It would be a fantastic resource for high school students to get a big picture (which I feel like was really lacking in my own education) and learn about a lot of specific systems and niches around the world. My 5yo and 7yo watched part of one episode and loved it! The photography and computer animation is incredible!

I would love to develop a curriculum around this series. You know, in all my free time! haha! 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like that, you love Big History Project. BHP expands on all of the episodes. Every unit adds a level of complexity that gets us to where we are now.

Edited by Plum Crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Plum Crazy said:

If you like that, you love Big History Project. BHP expands on all of the episodes. Every unit adds a level of complexity that gets us to where we are now.

I'll check it out, thanks for sharing!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, thanks so much for this! It's perfect for DS12. He loves all things science and nature and does a DocuWalk every day (watches a documentary while walking on the treadmill, LOL). 

They did make a curriculum guide for it. And you can get slides, too, apparently. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

DocuWalk every day (watches a documentary while walking on the treadmill, LOL)

Great idea! Might justify a treadmill for us! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

Is this the documentary that SWB narrated a segment?  My searching skills failed me on this question. 

No, that's was the National Geographic one on colonizing Mars. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

No, that's was the National Geographic one on colonizing Mars. 

I really want to see that one too but I don't think its on any streaming service we have. 

We watched the first 2 episodes of One Strange Rock and the kids (and me too) love it! Its perfect timing because we haven't come across a documentary series we really love in a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

Is this the documentary that SWB narrated a segment?  My searching skills failed me on this question. 

 

2 hours ago, MeaganS said:

No, that's was the National Geographic one on colonizing Mars. 

They added Mars to Netflix at the same time they added One Strange Rock. I know because I had just paid and finished watching the first season on Amazon. SWB is in season 2 and they did not add that to Netflix yet. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Plum Crazy said:

 

They added Mars to Netflix at the same time they added One Strange Rock. I know because I had just paid and finished watching the first season on Amazon. SWB is in season 2 and they did not add that to Netflix yet. 

I can never find anything on Netflix! 😣 

Thanks for the heads up. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...