Menu

Paula's Choice newbie--what's your favorite product?

Kidlit

I realize skincare is very individual, but I am looking to up my game after almost 45 years of mostly benign neglect.  Currently my skincare routine does involve washing with MaryKay cleanser and using both MK day and night cream.  I also have a little pot of Rodan and Fields undereye cream that I apply when I'm on a roll.  I guess that means that I'm a step above neglect, but I feel like my skin would benefit now from a higher level of care.

My birthday is Saturday and I'm thinking I might splurge on some quality products with any birthday cash I get.  I'm mostly interested in pore minimizing, sun protection, and not wrinkling worse than I already have.  

If you use Paula's Choice, what are your must-haves?

• Thanks 1

I enjoy her Resist tinted moisturizer with spf something - 30 I think.   I switch between that and a couple other brands every day.  

But, I would recommend you start researching Retin A (Trentinoin).  I 've been watching mature women Youtube beauty videos for all my ideas.  My skin has been getting so much better since I started paying better attention to it and using some of their recs.

Angie at Hot and Flashy, Monika McGillicuddy,  and Dr. Dray (she's a little odd, but she is a dermatologist) are a few of my go-to vloggers.  My one issue with Angie is that she does get botox.. but I do trust her reviews and her educational videos about ingredients.  I mostly watch their skin-care videos.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I buy the Pore Reducing Toner and the Skin Calming Toner from Paula's Choice. I also buy the Clear 2%. 

With my last order I got samples of the Unscrub (wash) and I really liked it...but I already like my current wash (which is cheaper) so I won't switch. I also bought a travel size of the Clear Oil-Free Moisturizer (which is new) and really liked it, but it felt close enough to my trusty CeraVe PM that I'll resist the temptation of switching...

• Like 1

Just wanted to come back and give a little update.  I finally placed my order last night.  Here's what I got:

• SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
    • DEFENSE Antioxidant Pore Purifier
    • RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum
    • DEFENSE Essential Glow Moisturizer SPF 30
    • Smoothing Primer Serum SPF 30

I purchased them all in travel sizes so I could buy and try a bigger variety.  I am also planning to go to CVS tonight and pick up some CeraVe.  I have a coupon AND some ECBs I need to spend.  

Thanks to everyone who responded with their experiences!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

Just wanted to come back and give a little update.  I finally placed my order last night.  Here's what I got:

• SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
    • DEFENSE Antioxidant Pore Purifier
    • RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum
    • DEFENSE Essential Glow Moisturizer SPF 30
    • Smoothing Primer Serum SPF 30

I purchased them all in travel sizes so I could buy and try a bigger variety.  I am also planning to go to CVS tonight and pick up some CeraVe.  I have a coupon AND some ECBs I need to spend.  

Thanks to everyone who responded with their experiences!

If you like a lighter lotion, I highly recommend the CeraVe PM. If you need more moisture, nothing beats the CeraVe cream in the big tub. It’s awesome! I’ve heard good things about their face sunscreens but haven’t tried them yet since I have one (finally!) that I really like. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mmasc said:

If you like a lighter lotion, I highly recommend the CeraVe PM. If you need more moisture, nothing beats the CeraVe cream in the big tub. It’s awesome! I’ve heard good things about their face sunscreens but haven’t tried them yet since I have one (finally!) that I really like. 

So which face sunscreen is it that you like?  Inquiring minds want to know!🙂

I plan to purchase both the CeraVe AM and PM lotions. My skin isn't very dry, and I live in a humid climate. 

Edited by hopeistheword
Trying to get rid of the gargantuan emoji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love this stuff. I can’t remember if I first heard about it here on a sunscreen thread (there’s at least one every year!), or on YouTube’s Hot and Flashy, but it’s the first one I’ve ever used consistently, and daily. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Australian-Gold-Hypoallergenic-Pediatrician-Dermatologist/dp/B01M8G39OW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=MTFHXKGRGH5K&keywords=australian+gold+sunscreen&qid=1551103269&s=gateway&sprefix=austarlian&sr=8-3

• Like 2

I've been using that sunscreen, as well! It's the only sunscreen I've regularly used -- I hate typical sunscreen smell and this has no real odor. (And it's super INexpensive!)

I also have CeraVe's new Ultra-light Moisturizing Lotion (spf 30?), which is okay...but has a sunscreen smell. (Also has chemical sunblocks which I don't love). I also have a couple Elta Md...they smell like sunscreen...so I mainly use the cheapie listed above. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I love this stuff. I can’t remember if I first heard about it here on a sunscreen thread (there’s at least one every year!), or on YouTube’s Hot and Flashy, but it’s the first one I’ve ever used consistently, and daily. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Australian-Gold-Hypoallergenic-Pediatrician-Dermatologist/dp/B01M8G39OW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=MTFHXKGRGH5K&keywords=australian+gold+sunscreen&qid=1551103269&s=gateway&sprefix=austarlian&sr=8-3

As the OP mentioned above, skin care really is very individual.  I bought the Australian Gold Sunblock and didn't like it at all.  It felt impossible to remove and I really don't think that I need to be rubbing and attacking my face in order to remove sunblock.  A lot of people mention the CeraVe products too.  I bought it to use and it made me get weird small bumps.  I offered it to my daughter and the same thing happened to her.  I never thought my skin was particularly sensitive, but what I realize is that I've been using PC products for 25 years.  I just never have any problems with PC products.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, solascriptura said:

As the OP mentioned above, skin care really is very individual.  I bought the Australian Gold Sunblock and didn't like it at all.  It felt impossible to remove and I really don't think that I need to be rubbing and attacking my face in order to remove sunblock.  A lot of people mention the CeraVe products too.  I bought it to use and it made me get weird small bumps.  I offered it to my daughter and the same thing happened to her.  I never thought my skin was particularly sensitive, but what I realize is that I've been using PC products for 25 years.  I just never have any problems with PC products.  

I loved the smell of Australian Gold but hated the way it felt on my face.  I like UltaMD's tinted sunscreen the best and also found I used it more consistently.  I also like PC's tinted moisturizer with SPF but in our hot and humid summers it can leave me feeling greasy.  

I agree that the main thing is to find the thing you will use consistently. 

I got my Paula's Choice order yesterday!  I ended up buying several travel size items and a sample item, just so I could try more things.  I got liquid BHA, retinol serum, pore reducer, primer with sunscreen, and a moisturizer sample.  They also put in an Unscrub sample, which I LOVED using last night.  

Granted, I've only used most of these products last night and this morning (and I still haven't used the primer), but I think I'm in love.  I think I need a line item in our budget for Paula's Choice.

I did pick up some CeraVe night and day moisturizer at CVS and have been using it this week.  The jury's still out on it.  I'd like to splurge and compare it to Paula's Choice.

I'm going to order some of the Australian Gold sunscreen today.  We're headed to the beach next week (where it is supposed to be cold and rainy, of course), but I'm going prepared.  LOL.  At the very worst, if I don't like it for daily wear, my children can use it this summer.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!  Count me in as a PC groupie!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

I got my Paula's Choice order yesterday!  I ended up buying several travel size items and a sample item, just so I could try more things.  I got liquid BHA, retinol serum, pore reducer, primer with sunscreen, and a moisturizer sample.  They also put in an Unscrub sample, which I LOVED using last night.  

Granted, I've only used most of these products last night and this morning (and I still haven't used the primer), but I think I'm in love.  I think I need a line item in our budget for Paula's Choice.

I did pick up some CeraVe night and day moisturizer at CVS and have been using it this week.  The jury's still out on it.  I'd like to splurge and compare it to Paula's Choice.

I'm going to order some of the Australian Gold sunscreen today.  We're headed to the beach next week (where it is supposed to be cold and rainy, of course), but I'm going prepared.  LOL.  At the very worst, if I don't like it for daily wear, my children can use it this summer.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!  Count me in as a PC groupie!

Yay!

I was thinking yesterday: one of the things I really like about PC products is the travel/sample sizes she has for her products. I wish more skincare companies did that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Yay!

I was thinking yesterday: one of the things I really like about PC products is the travel/sample sizes she has for her products. I wish more skincare companies did that.

I was so glad I remembered this!  It made trying it so much more appealing.  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...