Menu

I'm trying to learn how to multi-quote.

• 2 weeks later...
But I don't--how did you get two messages to multiquote? I haven't figured this out yet. Exactly what steps did you take?

You can break up one message into two different quotes when you reply. Just click reply, then copy and paste the [bracket blurb with the name] to the beginning of what you want to quote, and the [bracket blurb with /QUOTE] to the end of what you want to quote, and delete everything else you don't want to include (actually I delete first, then copy and paste to enclose what I want to quote). Kind of like enclosing the quote in quotation marks.

Does this look right.

O.k. I got it. Multiquoting must be for two different messages only.

But I don't--how did you get two messages to multiquote? I haven't figured this out yet. Exactly what steps did you take?

Or, to quote two different people in the same reply, see the button to the right of the "quote" button on the message you want to reply to? It has a quotation mark on it? Click on it, and it should turn red. Do the same for any other message you want to quote in the same reply (in the order you want to quote them in), then scroll down and click on the general "post reply" button. You should see all your desired messages quoted in one reply. Then you can edit out what you don't want quoted, and put replies in. Just put them after the [bracket blurb with /QUOTE].

Okay, I'm trying this. ETA that didn't work. I do know how to break one message up, and have done that, but this multiquote thing didn't work. I did have them turn read, but when I clicke on post reply, no quotes appeared.

Or, to quote two different people in the same reply, see the button to the right of the "quote" button on the message you want to reply to? It has a quotation mark on it? Click on it, and it should turn red. Do the same for any other message you want to quote in the same reply (in the order you want to quote them in), then scroll down and click on the general "post reply" button. You should see all your desired messages quoted in one reply. Then you can edit out what you don't want quoted, and put replies in. Just put them after the [bracket blurb with /QUOTE].

Are you clicking the big "post reply" button on the bottom left of the screen? It's what I did here after clicking those quotation mark buttons and making them turn red.

Yes. You have to click the big "Post Reply" button on the bottom left after you have clicked the mutli-quote ("+) button on each post that you want to quote.

Yes. Normally I press quote or the big post reply at the top on the left, but for this I did the one on the bottom left.

Yes. You have to click the big "Post Reply" button on the bottom left after you have clicked the mutli-quote ("+) button on each post that you want to quote.

Wow, I even tried changing my interface mode and it still doesn't work. I'm following your directions exactly (and have several times now.)

I don't understand. If the button turned red, you got that part right. After that just click post reply at the top or bottom-either one. I just tried the top "post reply" button with this to make sure. Works with no problems.

I wonder what what could be different about your settings?:confused: Puzzling.

Beats me, but it didn't work today, either. I'm going to cry--okay, it's not that big of a deal;). But it is annoying because it saves answering as many replies and it is also good if you're continuing on something on which several people have made points you'd like to address.

I don't understand. If the button turned red, you got that part right. After that just click post reply at the top or bottom-either one. I just tried the top "post reply" button with this to make sure. Works with no problems.

I wonder what what could be different about your settings?:confused: Puzzling.

This *is* strange! It worked again for me. Here, try these steps I wrote out and tested.

1. Look at the first post you want to quote in your reply.

2. On the lower right side of that post, scroll your mouse over the "+ button to the right of the quote button - a little popup should say "Multi-quote this message." Click the "+ button once. The background of the button should turn red. (If you click it again, it will turn back to its original colour and not be included in your reply, so make sure you only click once - maybe you were double clicking and by doing so, telling it not to quote??)

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for any other posts you want to include in your reply.

4. Click on the Post Reply button, either a the top left or the bottom left of the thread.

5. You should now have reply message that you can edit, type, and submit.

If this doesn't work, I have no other clue! :)

This *is* strange! It worked again for me. Here, try these steps I wrote out and tested.

2. On the lower right side of that post, scroll your mouse over the "+ button to the right of the quote button - a little popup should say "Multi-quote this message." Click the "+ button once. The background of the button should turn red. (If you click it again, it will turn back to its original colour and not be included in your reply, so make sure you only click once - maybe you were double clicking and by doing so, telling it not to quote??)

4. Click on the Post Reply button, either a the top left or the bottom left of the thread.

5. You should now have reply message that you can edit, type, and submit.

See, that's what I've been doing, and I even get the pop up and it won't work. However, I can easily click on quote and quote yours, as I just did. #@%&*(!!!

See, that's what I've been doing, and I even get the pop up and it won't work. However, I can easily click on quote and quote yours, as I just did. #@%&*(!!!
<<<

Could it be a browser issue? I've had times where I was using firefox (or opera or something) and tried to do something (fill out an application, etc.) and it didn't work. I then switched browsers and it worked without a problem.

Just a thought.

Just checking to see if I can quote myself.

I will try to multi quote this message.

Let's see if I can get it right.

Hey - it worked!

I had wanted to know how to do this for awhile.

Okay, I'm trying this. ETA that didn't work. I do know how to break one message up, and have done that, but this multiquote thing didn't work. I did have them turn read, but when I clicke on post reply, no quotes appeared.

I also had never paid attention to the big Post Reply button on the left.

I learned two things today. I'm ahead for next week, yay!

Thanks for the tutorial.

<<<

Could it be a browser issue? I've had times where I was using firefox (or opera or something) and tried to do something (fill out an application, etc.) and it didn't work. I then switched browsers and it worked without a problem.

Just a thought.

It could be. But if I really wanted to take my time with this, I could find a way to do it by copying and pasting quotes. It would be very time consuming.

• 3 months later...

There, that should work!;)

Testing the multiquote thing...

Yes. Normally I press quote or the big post reply at the top on the left, but for this I did the one on the bottom left.

....to see if I can do it.

Edited a bunch out of the last quote. Now let's see what happens.

• 1 year later...

Are you clicking the big "post reply" button on the bottom left of the screen? It's what I did here after clicking those quotation mark buttons and making them turn red.

I think I did it!!!

• 2 weeks later...