Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
MeaganS

Is BA Online enough without the workbooks?

Dd8 has been doing Beast Academy online along side of her regular Beast Academy practice books. I've been having her do a half hour of the practice book and a half hour of online. She also does Xtra Math daily for fact practice. She has started complaining a lot about the paper books, saying she vastly prefers doing it online. Is there any reason I shouldn't just let her do BA online and ditch the practice books? For the record, right now she does the practice books at her level (currently 4a) and then can do any level she likes in BA online. My plan would be to have her work at the level she's in linearly for a half hour or so and then let her do whatever she likes for the other half hour. 

I have both as well, but we've been only using the online portion except for the one time my daughter needed a little more practice, at which time we picked up the workbook and used that as extra practice. This seems to be working just fine so far. My daughter is currently in Level 4D. We've been working through linearly. I had purchased the workbooks before the online program went live. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have bothered grabbing the workbooks. That said, we do prefer doing the reading from the physical guides.

5 minutes ago, zarabellesmom said:

I have both as well, but we've been only using the online portion except for the one time my daughter needed a little more practice, at which time we picked up the workbook and used that as extra practice. This seems to be working just fine so far. My daughter is currently in Level 4D. We've been working through linearly. I had purchased the workbooks before the online program went live. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have bothered grabbing the workbooks. That said, we do prefer doing the reading from the physical guides.

How do you decide she's ready to move on? Do you require a certain amount of stars per lesson? How does that work for you?

23 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

How do you decide she's ready to move on? Do you require a certain amount of stars per lesson? How does that work for you?

My son works for 45-60 minutes a day in BA. He did it this way when he worked in the books (3A through 4B) and now that he works online (starting with 4C, he's now finishing up 5B). He does every problem, in order. He is supposed to work for time (45 min) but he always finishes a problem set before stopping.

He prefers doing it online (he's a bit of a perfectionist with math, and *needs* to know that he's getting them correct), but he reads the physical guidebooks. I have occasionally sent him to look up a solution in the workbook to help him solve a trophy problem.

Working in the workbook and also the textbook seems like a bit of overkill, as they are usually very similar problem sets, and one set is enough, unless they could use some more practice. Even then, your can go back and redo the problem set online with different numbers.

I always sit with my kiddos while they do math so I know right away when they are struggling. She finishes all the lessons with each chapter online and attempts the trophy problems. I've only needed the workbook once and it was obvious at the time she needed more practice because she was really frustrated. She had to repeat the lesson online because she didn't get enough stars which had never happened before. As Noreen mentioned, my daughter is a bit of a perfectionist as well and likes knowing right away if she's wrong or right. I enjoy the immediate feedback as well because if I get up to get coffee, and comeback to a full workbook page that's been done wrong, (as has happened in the past before the online portion was available) there are lots of tears.

My kid did BA5 through our local AoPS Academy, and they beta tested BA Online last year. That was all they used for the homework, so I assume they thought it was sufficient. He is doing Pre-Algebra now and it is a similar set-up. He only does the online homework, which is similar to the books, but not exactly the same. If he turns the homework blue, we move on.

• Like 1