Menu

2019-2020 PreK Planning Thread

jrhodes

Anyone else planning for prek?

I have a 4 yr old, just starting at home. He did preschool this past year and I know he knows a bunch of stuff, but he hates letting me on to it, so it's kind of guess work figuring out where he's at. 

AAR pre-reading
Natural Math, Preschool Math, MEP reception, Singapore K-B (the whole need to figure out where he is!)
BFSU with older brother
Torchlight Pre-K 
Kumon handwriting tracing

• 1 month later...

I am planning for preK! I'm mostly planning with my son (4 at the end of August) in mind, but I know my younger daughter (just turned 2) will be along for the ride.  I'm purposely picking as many play-based curriculum options as possible given that we're skewing young. My son ranks in the third percentile for articulation, which is the skill set I most want to work on; I think it's holding him back in other areas academically and socially/emotionally (such that his preschool teachers asked us to have him repeat the two-year-old program this year). 

MAIN CURRICULUM
Monday, Wednesday, Friday mornings: Play-based preschool at our synagogue
Tuesday and Thursday mornings: A Year of Playing Skillfully, modified to fit our family's religious views

SUPPLEMENTARY CURRICULUM
Math: Preschool Math at Home
Speech Supplements: SPEECHercise and resources from mommyspeechtherapy.com
Hebrew: Hebrew Through Movement
Fine Art Exposure: Simply Charlotte Mason

• Like 1

I really need to start planning.  Ds4 finished MFW's All Aboard the Animal Train and he keeps asking to do "animal train preschool".  I just don't have 300 bucks to fork out for the next level, so I need to put a plan together for him.

• 2 weeks later...

We are wrapping up preK with my last preschooler here, and thought I'd share what was successful in case it helps anyone.

Preschool Math at Home by Kate Snow... I did the first chapter in full and was perfect for her. I began the 2nd chapter and her skills were taking off after that,vso I didn't need to continue with it. But is a great book! Highly recommend it. 

Rod and Staff ABC workbooks for some seat work. Mine has worked through the A,B, and C books this year. Will continue the D-F for 1st half of K next year. These books are amazing little things. This is my third time to use them with a preKer. 

Motherhoodonadime dot com's letter of the week. Her one day a week preschool used this for its letter lessons this year, plus googled and Pinterest for more crafts and hands on occasionally. 

Flashcards at home to review the letters a couple times a week. 

What Your Preschooler Needs to Know for readings, poetry, songs, etc. 

And the usual art, Legos, blocks, puzzles, and all the rest of the educational toys and lots of field trips (animal themed for homeschool group this year.) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying something: Wee Folk Art.  I had used the free version about 8-9 years ago when it first came out.  They have a new version that you can pay for by season (I think I only paid $5 for the summer) and it's definitely improved.  I had to buy a few books to go along with it: a music book/cd, a coloring book about ponds and nature and One Small Square- Pond.  

First week is tracking weather, which is fitting, because the weather here is crazy right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My four year old is wrapping up Singapore 1 orally, practicing writing simple sentences, and doing Sentence Family. He joins older brother in Primary Lentil Science, BFSU 1, and SOTW2. This fall he's doing BF Around the World with our co-op. In the spring, when he's five, he'll start Maps Charts Graphs A, RFP Aesop Book of Reading Writing and Thinking 1, and probably BA2 which he's been begging for.

My four year old is wrapping up Singapore 1 orally, practicing writing simple sentences, and doing Sentence Family. He joins older brother in Primary Lentil Science, BFSU 1, and SOTW2. This fall he's doing BF Around the World with our co-op. In the spring, when he's five, he'll start Maps Charts Graphs A, RFP Aesop Book of Reading Writing and Thinking 1, and probably BA2 which he's been begging for.

My 4.5yo will be doing:

Developing the Early Learner workbooks (nearly done with #1)
Get Ready For the Code A,B,C (he knows his letters cold but can't seem to grasp blending, so we're doing this for sound and familiarity reinforcement. He loves workbooks.)
Practicing writing his letters properly on lined paper
Saxon Math K and other mathy fun, like Battle or number boards, math storybooks, etc.

The 3.5yo will be doing the first two workbooks as well, at a slower pace.

Starfall for backup fun and reinforcement on all of the above. I suppose I hardly need state that underneath all this is the basic preschool variety of play things and time.  😄

• 4 weeks later...

We just officially started our school year (although we do summer school).  I probably bought too many workbooks but my 4.5 y/o doesn't need to complete them all.  We have Get Ready for the Code books,  most of the Rod & Staff Preschool workbooks and Singapore Essentials A.  I also have some ABC crafts I had already printed out and organized in folders from when my older daughter was in preschool.  I have OPTGR and some foam letters I'm using to show her how to sound out simple CVC words (since she recently asked me to show her how to read).  I'm not expecting her to blend on her own yet, but I figured I may as well model it for her.  We're doing lots of read alouds and building with legos, playing easy board games, baking, etc.  I actually have her in a church preschool 2 days per week (4-5 hours) mainly to give me some quiet time to work with my 10dd with dyslexia.  My 4.5 y/o VERY chatty, so when she's home she does a combo of puzzles, coloring, playing with learning apps (Teach Your Monster to Read, Khan Academy Kids and Starfall) so I can work with her older siblings.