Menu

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

I just hand the workbook to my kids, tell them to read the lesson and do the exercises (1 lesson or review/week), and then grade it. They do quite a bit of high quality reading which exposes them to a wide variety of vocabulary as well, but I want them to be familiar with the roots of words since we don't do Latin, and VCR is an easy painless way to get that in. I think they usually do Book A at the end of 8th grade.

• Like 1

We use it the same way as Momto5.   The kids work on it independently, I check it and go over anything they miss.

DD 11 is using A right now and DS 13 is using B but they are almost done and I'll be ordering the next ones.   Both are strong readers and have fairly advanced vocabularies.

• Like 1

I would do the same thing as the other parents posted, following the example listed in TWTM (4th ed., p. 433). My daughter would:

Day 1 (or the student can take two days for this if needed)

1) Read the quote for the given lesson, write it on an index card, and memorize both the Latin quote and the English translation.

2) Read through the Roots/Prefixes/Suffixes and write them on index cards: Word part on the front and definition on the back.

3) Read through the Key Words and make flash cards for them. Same  thing, key word on the front and definition on the back.

Days 2:

1) Add the new prefixes/suffixes/roots and their meaning to their Word Study list (as recommended in TWTM.)

Day 3-4:

2) Work on memorizing the the roots/prefixes/suffixes and their meaning as well the key words and their meaning.

Day 5:

Complete the lesson exercises.

Every two weeks, she completes the additional Key Word exercise pages and then takes the test. I hope this makes sense. In the TWTM, they give an example of what a  Word Study list of roots/prefixes/suffixes can look like. It looks something like this:

Prefixes and Suffixes

Prefix

Suffix

Meaning/Function

Language

contra-

Opposite, against

Latin

-able

Makes an adjective out of a noun

mal-

Bad

Latin

Word Roots

Root

Meaning

Language

functio

To perform

Latin

cedere

To go forward

Latin

I made pages for my daughter that follows this model. I'll attach a picture below. Hope this helps because I had a little trouble figuring out how I wanted my daughter to do this.  It was tricky because the program is written to be taught by a teacher and not self-taught. I really needed it to be self-taught. This method is working o.k. but I may tweak it next go around. 

20190218_144502.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, whitehawk said:

We do...

Monday - read the lesson

Tuesday - make a flash card for each root (green for Greek, blue for Latin)

Wednesday through Friday - do an exercise.

Periodically, we review the cards, especially during weeks with a review lesson.

LOVE the idea of coloring coding the roots by language. Totally gonna steal that idea.😃

• Like 1