Menu

What do you have hanging above your bed?

sassenach

26 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You mean on the wall above the headboard, right?  (Other than a light, I don’t have anything hanging right above my bed. ). On the wall I have two pictures that I had enlarged and framed. A picture of dh as a baby/toddler and one of me. 

Yes, the wall above the headboard. 

I have a set of beautiful cross-stitch pieces that my aunt made for my mom years ago. They are country scenes, but elaborate in that the entire framed area is stitched. I don't care for the frames, as they are a gilded gold, and I tend more toward rustic, but they look very nice in our bedroom, and make me feel peaceful when I look at them. When my mom moved in with my sister year before last, they were up for grabs, so I took them! My aunt is now in her 90s.

• Like 2

A wreath, centered right in the middle. It’s light and pretty and matches my duvet, so I like it. Up until a year ago I never had anything because I’m super nervous about stuff falling on my head while I’m asleep. But I got tired of the blank wall and figured a lightweight wreath wouldn’t hurt too bad. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

About 20 various pictures that ds has drawn or painted over the last 8 or so years. These are mostly on plain copy paper and are taped to the wall with scotch tape. Ds has put them there as gifts to us. Ninja guys, Pokemon, superheroes, nature art, an illustrated list of foods he dislikes, a funny one "No Girls Aloud" with an unflattering drawing of dd. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

About 20 various pictures that ds has drawn or painted over the last 8 or so years. These are mostly on plain copypaper and are taped to the wall with scotch tape. Ds has put them there as gifts to us. Ninja guys, Pokemon, superheroes, nature art, an illustrated list of foods he dislikes, a funny one "No Girls Aloud" with an unflattering drawing of dd. 

That's awesome! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nevergiveup said:

Framed Andrew Wyeth print of a dog sleeping on a bed called, I believe, Master Bedroom.

I have cross-stitched pictures of dogs my mother made on other walls.  Pretty much a dog themed bedroom.

We have that print in our bedroom, too!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Farrar said:

There are four maps: an antique (1810's, I think) map of ancient Rome, an 1890's map of India, an 1880's map of Asia, and a maps of Paris that fell out of one of my Baedeckers and felt it wanted to be put up there too.

I love old maps!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nevergiveup said:

Framed Andrew Wyeth print of a dog sleeping on a bed called, I believe, Master Bedroom.

I have cross-stitched pictures of dogs my mother made on other walls.  Pretty much a dog themed bedroom.

I used to have that one too. Love that print.

2 hours ago, nevergiveup said:

Live dog(s) too?

• Like 2

Right over the huge headboard nothing, though I've been arguing with DH that I should be able to cut up an old botanical print book (it's old but only worth about $7 because it's so common) and hang my favorites on that wall. He doesn't think so.  I think I might order another copy to have solely to cut up.

The closest art we have to the bed is an original oil painting clearly inspired by this that we bought at an art festival.  Ours look more like NYC in the current day though. Sparser, stormier, the fewer people are more clearly defined.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pen said:

Live dog(s) too?

No live dogs allowed in the bedroom but the two of them have a nice area just outside the bedroom.  My sisters sleep with their dogs and I never understood how they get any sleep at all.  My husky and German Shepherd dogs take up way too much room.

The print was my mother's and it reminds me of her.  I am not surprised so many have it--my neighbor had one, too!  I have several small dog statues on a bedside table, but the dog theme does not extend to the rest of the house.  I mean, I'm not the crazy dog lady or anything...... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing.  Earthquake zone. 

But, even if we didn't live in an earthquake zone, I wouldn't have anything there. We stayed in an Air BnB in London with a painting over the bed, and it fell down on us in the middle of the night with no apparent provocation.

I asked my dd to paint three canvases in a "winter woods" theme.. it's so hot here most of the year, I wanted something that conveyed cool serenity 😉 .... when I look at it I can almost hear the crunching footsteps in snow, and that sort of muffled quiet.. and the bracing smell of snow at night, the cutting cold breeze... I haven't actually seen snow in many years, so this is a nice reminder...

bed paintings 2.jpg

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Earthquake people, I’m right here with you. I think we’ve all been brainwashed. There’s a million light decorations that we could put over our beds. I won’t be putting any heavy frames, but I might secure a few small canvases. 

The canvases I have are not framed, my dd painted around the outside edges in black to it give it a more finished feel.. they are very light.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Earthquake people, I’m right here with you. I think we’ve all been brainwashed. There’s a million light decorations that we could put over our beds. I won’t be putting any heavy frames, but I might secure a few small canvases. 

I have never had anything because of earthquakes but after we move I'd like to add posters of everywhere we've lived. I've picked out posters from San Francisco and Cincinnati (our home towns), DC, New Orleans and Portland (where we've lived) and San Antonio (where we're moving). Each poster is very difference because the cities are very different but they all look like a vintage postcards.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nevergiveup said:

No live dogs allowed in the bedroom but the two of them have a nice area just outside the bedroom.  My sisters sleep with their dogs and I never understood how they get any sleep at all.  My husky and German Shepherd dogs take up way too much room.

The print was my mother's and it reminds me of her.  I am not surprised so many have it--my neighbor had one, too!  I have several small dog statues on a bedside table, but the dog theme does not extend to the rest of the house.  I mean, I'm not the crazy dog lady or anything...... 

I don’t have any decor on bedroom walls, but if I did, I think a photograph of our own dog lying on the bed much like a black version of the Wyeth dog and enlarged could be something I’d like.  

• Like 5