Menu

6th grade science

Nam2001

I am trying to figure out a science option for my rising 6th grade daughter for next year. She is wanting to use a textbook or something similar, though adding some books to it will likely happen. I don’t like Apologia. I am looking at Gravitas, Catholic  Heritage....what other options are there? 

It doesn’t haven’t to necessarily be a Christian text, but that’s our worldview so I wouldn’t want anti-Christian. 

Any suggestions? 

Check out Oak Meadow Science 6.  It's really hands on - but the kid can do a lot of it himself/herself.  It's not necessarily anti-Christian, but not religious either.  We are doing it this year and it is really great!  My daughter has learned a lot and enjoys the different project options given.

1 hour ago, bensonduck said:

Check out Oak Meadow Science 6.  It's really hands on - but the kid can do a lot of it himself/herself.  It's not necessarily anti-Christian, but not religious either.  We are doing it this year and it is really great!  My daughter has learned a lot and enjoys the different project options given.

Thanks! I’ll check that out! 

Fwiw I'm using CHC's Behold and See 6 this year with my daughter and we like it. This was our first foray into textbook science and found it to be fairly interesting with good science and easy to do projects and IMO the just right amount of worksheets. 

For other options you can also look at: 

Science Fusion- topical books for 6-8th grade

Holt Science and Technology

23 minutes ago, soror said:

Fwiw I'm using CHC's Behold and See 6 this year with my daughter and we like it. This was our first foray into textbook science and found it to be fairly interesting with good science and easy to do projects and IMO the just right amount of worksheets. 

For other options you can also look at: 

Science Fusion- topical books for 6-8th grade

Holt Science and Technology

Thanks! This is helpful! The samples online of CHC look promising - it’s just hard to tell. Thanks for your opinion on it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nam2001 said:

Thanks! This is helpful! The samples online of CHC look promising - it’s just hard to tell. Thanks for your opinion on it.

No problem, if you decide to go w/ CHC I'd watch for a used copy of the textbook, I found one for about half the cost of new and just bought a workbook to go with it.

• Thanks 1