Menu

What's with the ads?

angelaguptathomas

Fresh Vegetable Juice vs Smoothie?

I am wanting to incorporate more raw veggie enzymes into my diet.  Any thoughts on juicing vs. smoothies?

I think I would have a wider variety and more veggies in a juice than a smoothie.

Thanks

In my opinion juicing is a lot more work than making smoothies. There is so much waste, too. When we were juicing, it felt like we would buy boxes of produce, and most of it would be in the trash volume-wise. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the juice and it tasted good, but it took a long time to make (clean, cut up in small enough pieces) and then clean up. Over time we reached for the juicer less and less often, and now it just sits on a shelf gathering dust. 

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

In my opinion juicing is a lot more work than making smoothies. There is so much waste, too. When we were juicing, it felt like we would buy boxes of produce, and most of it would be in the trash volume-wise. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the juice and it tasted good, but it took a long time to make (clean, cut up in small enough pieces) and then clean up. Over time we reached for the juicer less and less often, and now it just sits on a shelf gathering dust. 

All this, plus you don't get the benefit of the fiber. 

• Like 5

Even when I managed to use the leftover fiber in muffins and things, I found that juicing wasn't worth it for two main reasons: (1) far more clean-up involved, and (2) unless I did veggie-only juices (which I didn't especially enjoy and no one else in the family would touch), I got far more of a sugar spike from juice than from smoothies. If I used enough carrots and apples to make a juice that was palatable to my kids, the sugar spike was literally worse than eating a donut. I can hide spinach, avocado, and other veggies in a mostly-fruit smoothie and not have any sugar spike. I can also throw a banana, nuts or nutbutters, and some protein powder in there, and have a meal, versus juice which does not fill you up at all.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Even when I managed to use the leftover fiber in muffins and things, I found that juicing wasn't worth it for two main reasons: (1) far more clean-up involved, and (2) unless I did veggie-only juices (which I didn't especially enjoy and no one else in the family would touch), I got far more of a sugar spike from juice than from smoothies. If I used enough carrots and apples to make a juice that was palatable to my kids, the sugar spike was literally worse than eating a donut. I can hide spinach, avocado, and other veggies in a mostly-fruit smoothie and not have any sugar spike. I can also throw a banana, nuts or nutbutters, and some protein powder in there, and have a meal, versus juice which does not fill you up at all.

This. ^^

Vegetable juices leave me famished and send my blood sugars soaring.

But I drink a vegetable based smoothie (usually either spinach or pumpkin--no fruit) every morning for breakfast and it keeps me stable and full until lunch.

Juices are wasteful, as others have mentioned. You are much better off eating the entire vegetable to get the full range of vitamins and fiber. I don't think most people are aware of the amount of sugars in a typical veggie juice--it takes a lot of carrots and beets to fill a glass (never mind any fruits like pears or apples you might include). 

• Like 2

I just had this discussion yesterday at a juice/smoothie/shake bar.  Basically, I've come to my (unscientific, personal only) conclusion that I need protein in my drinks of that type to prevent sugar spikes.  The carb load in many of the drinks is just too high for my comfort level.  But they taste so good!!  What I did yesterday was mix half unsweetened coconut milk with pinapple juice, unsweetened coconut flakes, and spinach along with whey protein.  I didn't get a sugar rush and it still tasted quite good. 

Dh used to juice and said he liked it quite a bit (but not the cleaning up part).  He used mostly carrots, beets, tomatoes, celery, peppers.  I would use the leftover pulp in meatloaf. 

Have you looked at veggie powders?  I've know IRL folks who add those to smoothies. 

I vote smoothies. It just seems economically and nutritionally questionable to throw so much of your produce away. Get a vitamix. It’ll make anything smooth and clean-up takes about one minute.